• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

I agree the Leifeld enchantress is possibly the worst art I have ever seen, but I wonder how many of you have ever seen the HORRID stuff that was in the Captain America ( poor cap! ) books from when he became the Nomad? That stuff can compete for worst art ever.

25 cent cover price, around like issue 180. I wish I still had them to scan and post but I hated the horrible art so much I no longer own them. Anyone have the books to scan some of that garbage for others to see?

Artboy99

Frank Robbins. I remember when he hit the scene in the 70's, and I absolutely hated his stuff. At times he was a really good artist, but for some reason he started drawing stylized versions of characters, with distorted anatomy and in crazy positions. Seemed like he was slopping things on the page as fast as he could.

He drew the Johnny Hazard comic strip, which had great art...

I agree the Leifeld enchantress is possibly the worst art I have ever seen, but I wonder how many of you have ever seen the HORRID stuff that was in the Captain America ( poor cap! ) books from when he became the Nomad? That stuff can compete for worst art ever.

25 cent cover price, around like issue 180. I wish I still had them to scan and post but I hated the horrible art so much I no longer own them. Anyone have the books to scan some of that garbage for others to see?

Artboy99

My Eyes!!!

Truly horrible. The thing is, had they left Sal Buscema on the book ( he was illustrating Captain America at the time ) the Nomad character may have taken off as he was rather cool. I would rather have Steve Rogers be Cap..but someone else could have taken on the Nomad persona after.

Artboy99

What am I missing? Why would these covers be "bad," let alone "worst covers of all time?"

What he said! :sumo:

Although the Cap 197 does have a Kirby-esque design gaffe: If Cap is alone, who is he shouting to and why? Of course, I think that's part of its charm.

This cover came almost immediately after Steranko's incredible series of covers and before Neal Adams took over. BWS's art was AWFUL at the beginning. In every way. I remember standing at the newstand in shock with this book in my hands, wondering if it was a joke.

Red

xmen53.jpg

That Jimmy Olsen comic makes me want to read it to see what is going on. I think that what comics are suppose to do.

Now all of Rob Liefled's art should be burned or used as kitty litter or worse yet given out as freebies.

Avengers Annual 10 is a great book

opinions vary...

the artwork in there make me want to break out in hives.

:P

There is some great stuff in that book...all the recent nastiness aside, that first panel with Iron Man is worth the price of admission on it's own.

Avengers%20Annual%2010%20page%2035.JPG