• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,038 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, Corona smith said:

7B6FBE8D-B3AF-4AE9-A898-9F87DA26B9B5.jpeg

Man, everytime I see this book, Newsstand or non, I kick myself for not picking it up at cover last year bin diving.

Congratulations 👏

On 4/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, littledoom said:

Not great for overall value but it’s not worthless. All versions of Ultimate Spidey 1 sell for at least $10+

I've stumbled upon many a newsstand-looking copy and each time compared the last five digits in the barcode to those in pics found either on MHC or MCS and it always matched some type of "KB Toys" special or "Checkers" or other.   I have not been able to find a pic of a copy that is the true newsstand version of this, if anybody has it, can you please post?    Thanks

On 4/26/2022 at 6:49 PM, George Brent said:

I've stumbled upon many a newsstand-looking copy and each time compared the last five digits in the barcode to those in pics found either on MHC or MCS and it always matched some type of "KB Toys" special or "Checkers" or other.   I have not been able to find a pic of a copy that is the true newsstand version of this, if anybody has it, can you please post?    Thanks

Newsstands of Ultimate Spidey 1 don't exist

I do have a question to all you maniacs that chase newsstand runs:  What is the going rate for 2008-2015 newsstand filler books?  I just found a shop that has TONS and they're cheap but I don't know if it's worth the time/effort.  

I'd imagine in an ideal world, you're paying as little as possible.  But when you're buying lots, what are you happy paying?  Ignore all the millions of variables and gimme the fast and dirty.  

On 5/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, Beastfeast said:

I do have a question to all you maniacs that chase newsstand runs:  What is the going rate for 2008-2015 newsstand filler books?  I just found a shop that has TONS and they're cheap but I don't know if it's worth the time/effort.  

I'd imagine in an ideal world, you're paying as little as possible.  But when you're buying lots, what are you happy paying?  Ignore all the millions of variables and gimme the fast and dirty.  

Obviously I would like to pay less for filler and depending on condition roughly $5 per for bigger lots if tougher to find and higher grade may go up to $7 but that would be the most I would want to pay per book. I am usually pretty happy when I get them in $3-5 range. 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:55 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Obviously I would like to pay less for filler and depending on condition roughly $5 per for bigger lots if tougher to find and higher grade may go up to $7 but that would be the most I would want to pay per book. I am usually pretty happy when I get them in $3-5 range. 

I agree with the same sentiments.

I've posted some that I've found at cover price, but .... :butbutbutemoji:

Even at $3 to $4  a piece for a rando can eat into the "fun or mad funds". It may sound silly but I dont have it like that the way I've budgeted.

I've taken pics in store and posted to the boards, idk why, just so if they were unknown someone may mention.

When I started I was big on Newsstand "editions", that the price differs from the direct version. Those get a label notation, and meh it may not be a 1st appearance but it gave me a thrill of the hunt.... if that helps.

I still have some low census population that are never talked about and I dont really post cause all they are are the "editions" Newsstand with nothing else of note :x

It's up to you! It can all feel a bit fools gold ish, if nothing else like a 1st, origin, or other normal attractive feature.

Just try to take the time, see if it suits you, since you may have a homey hole. I mean it's there, if you dont, I'm almost positive someone else will, well it seems likely.

But ya it can be a bit time consuming and fools errands but if it hits you as the thrill of the hunt, it CAN be rewarding  :)

I will add that I have been after Superman , Man of Steel, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, and almost any Wolverine issues. Just FYI :whistle: 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree with the same sentiments.

I've posted some that I've found at cover price, but .... :butbutbutemoji:

Even at $3 to $4  a piece for a rando can eat into the "fun or mad funds". It may sound silly but I dont have it like that the way I've budgeted.

I've taken pics in store and posted to the boards, idk why, just so if they were unknown someone may mention.

When I started I was big on Newsstand "editions", that the price differs from the direct version. Those get a label notation, and meh it may not be a 1st appearance but it gave me a thrill of the hunt.... if that helps.

I still have some low census population that are never talked about and I dont really post cause all they are are the "editions" Newsstand with nothing else of note :x

It's up to you! It can all feel a bit fools gold ish, if nothing else like a 1st, origin, or other normal attractive feature.

Just try to take the time, see if it suits you, since you may have a homey hole. I mean it's there, if you dont, I'm almost positive someone else will, well it seems likely.

But ya it can be a bit time consuming and fools errands but if it hits you as the thrill of the hunt, it CAN be rewarding  :)

2008-2015 is a very tough group to find if you're looking for them. That is what I try to buy almost exclusively, yet still haven't completed any of the runs I'm trying to fill. That said, most of those comics haven't had time to mature yet. Doubtless some of them are the Werewolf by Night #32's of the future but for now, no one cares. If the price is low, I tend to buy those no matter what they are, provided the condition is extremely good. That done, I log them in my database and forget about them.

I rarely buy any newsies on eBay or anywhere else. Although, I did buy a bunch of DC's from @mrwoogieman. I heard he has a secret stash. :gossip:

Almost all my raw newsies I bought directly from the newsstands when they came out. I just wished that I bought more of them at that time. :pullhair:

On 5/3/2022 at 9:49 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I will add that I have been after Superman , Man of Steel, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, and almost any Wolverine issues. Just FYI :whistle: 

I was thinking of you when I was going through the boxes.  This gives me a good excuse to go back and pick up the things I left, anyway (shrug)