• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,036 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 11:24 PM, fastballspecial said:

The late 40s in Ghost Rider and past newsstands get really hard to find and in high grade a very tough. 
Love those Spawn too they are tough all the time.

I’m trying to complete a set of newsstands of Jason Aaron’s run on Ghost Rider and I don’t see them often. 

On 5/10/2022 at 4:49 AM, mr_highgrade said:

Another one of your consignments? hm

No it’s not.

I more wonder how much of an impact a dedicated Heritage auction of 9.8 newsstands will have on this particular niche in the hobby.

I was a sports card dealer in the late 80s. And I still remember the shockwave when Beckett first started doing magazines for sports other than baseball. For most of 1990 I had fresh customers (who had never bought anything but baseball) suddenly asking for cards they saw in the brand new Basketball Beckett, Hockey Beckett, and Football Beckett.

Sadly, looking at the Heritage item listings (admittedly not yet complete for an auction several weeks away), they aren’t the right newsstands to matter. It’s a ton of 1977-1983 stuff, plus obvious keys like Spidey 300, New Mutants 98, and Spawn 1. Books whose sale results won’t make newsstand collecting more appealing to the non-participant.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, lighthouse said:

Sadly, looking at the Heritage item listings (admittedly not yet complete for an auction several weeks away), they aren’t the right newsstands to matter. It’s a ton of 1977-1983 stuff, plus obvious keys like Spidey 300, New Mutants 98, and Spawn 1. Books whose sale results won’t make newsstand collecting more appealing to the non-participant.

The two newsstand CGC 9.8 ASM #300s are likely to make or break the experiment.  One is universal, the other has multiple signatures. 

The newsstand multiplier for CGC 9.8 ASM #300 compared to direct edition (whatever is a normal price by July 2022) will be an interesting result.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, lighthouse said:

No it’s not.

I more wonder how much of an impact a dedicated Heritage auction of 9.8 newsstands will have on this particular niche in the hobby.

I was a sports card dealer in the late 80s. And I still remember the shockwave when Beckett first started doing magazines for sports other than baseball. For most of 1990 I had fresh customers (who had never bought anything but baseball) suddenly asking for cards they saw in the brand new Basketball Beckett, Hockey Beckett, and Football Beckett.

77-83 is obviously very common, if anything post 2000's shows up in 9.8 it will definitely peak my interest. :wishluck:

On 5/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, mr_highgrade said:

77-83 is obviously very common, if anything post 2000's shows up in 9.8 it will definitely peak my interest. :wishluck:

The 1977 reference throws me off :   for Marvel the start of direct editions was approx. mid-1979 and for DC past Jan. 1980   --if Heritage is calling pre-1979 issues "newsstands", I suppose they are technically correct (b/c everything in that era was "newsstand"), but misleading in terms of newsstand vs. direct scarcity difference in high grades. 

On 5/11/2022 at 1:40 AM, George Brent said:

The 1977 reference throws me off :   for Marvel the start of direct editions was approx. mid-1979 and for DC past Jan. 1980   --if Heritage is calling pre-1979 issues "newsstands", I suppose they are technically correct (b/c everything in that era was "newsstand"), but misleading in terms of newsstand vs. direct scarcity difference in high grades. 

You are correct, The first DE books have a cover date of 6/79. Technically they were on the shelves around March of 79. I think there are a few CBCS slabs in this auction, and they like to slap "Newsstand Edition" on anything with a UPC Barcode on it. Even when there was no DE comics yet. For example, Star Wars #1 which came out in 1977, there are no DE of this book. The first DE is Star Wars #24. 

On 5/11/2022 at 2:20 AM, mr_highgrade said:

You are correct, The first DE books have a cover date of 6/79. Technically they were on the shelves around March of 79. I think there are a few CBCS slabs in this auction, and they like to slap "Newsstand Edition" on anything with a UPC Barcode on it. Even when there was no DE comics yet. For example, Star Wars #1 which came out in 1977, there are no DE of this book. The first DE is Star Wars #24. 

Mile High Comics makes the same mistake quite often.  I think there's loss of credibility when that happens.   No DC comic books had DE until October 1980.   Good example:  Batman 327 (two different versions listed in Mile High's site even though there are no DE's.   

I think the other funny thing is that Mile High always charges more for the NE's than the DE's, even though the DE's are harder to find for the first few years.   whoops!

On 5/11/2022 at 7:28 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Mile High Comics makes the same mistake quite often.  I think there's loss of credibility when that happens.   No DC comic books had DE until October 1980.   Good example:  Batman 327 (two different versions listed in Mile High's site even though there are no DE's.   

I think the other funny thing is that Mile High always charges more for the NE's than the DE's, even though the DE's are harder to find for the first few years.   whoops!

Well, you are talking about the company that hyped their occasional 50% off sales (back when their "regular" sale was 35%) as a unique opportunity for awesome deals --in the meantime, they have pretty much all their issues on eBay for 50-60% off all the time, but they don't publicize that.   Chuck's non-comics volunteer work is admirable, but I have to often cringe at the lack of sincerity of his sales pitches (and, yes, offering non-existent direct edition issues for sale is a credibility problem for the man who basically spread the word first on newsstand scarcity ~15(?) years ago).   Btw, I think higher prices for even early (79-85) newsstands actually make sense, but only for higher grades, as one would still expect the direct edition copies to have survived in higher numbers for higher grades due to the environment they were sold in. 

On 5/11/2022 at 8:10 PM, George Brent said:

as one would still expect the direct edition copies to have survived in higher numbers for higher grades due to the environment they were sold in.

:deadhorse: Because you think some scuzz-ball comic shop (insert comic book fat guy from The Simpsons here) was a better environment than a newsstand, pharmacy, drug store, quick-stop shop, family market or bookstore? This is a myth created and exploited by comic stores, distributors, and resellers,

13CBG.jpeg

On 5/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, divad said:

:deadhorse: Because you think some scuzz-ball comic shop (insert comic book fat guy from The Simpsons here) was a better environment than a newsstand, pharmacy, drug store, quick-stop shop, family market or bookstore? This is a myth created and exploited by comic stores, distributors, and resellers,

13CBG.jpeg

You bring up a very good point here, so, having frequented lots of comic shops and pharmacies/drug-stores/supermarkets/etc. in several states in the late 80s and through the 90s, yep, I can say with certainty that, indeed, copies were handled much more carefully in comic shops.