• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

690 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 11:03 PM, Kevin76 said:

Anyway, There's lots of keys from around the time DD 168 came out but, just because a UPC got slapped on the cover during 1976+, we are supposed to pay more for them, when that's the way comics were distributed all along?  I think if anything the direct copies are the actual rarer copies during that time.  Why aren't people paying 13K for a newsstand DD 131 9.8? 13K for a What if 10 9.8?  13k MS 32 9.8?  They all have bar codes on them and are keys, yet are supposed to be rare, cause they are newsstands?  Am I missing something here?  He told me I don't make any sense or he just didn't wanna hear my argument. He thinks he's right, is he?  (shrug)

Your both right in a jacked-up sort of way.:popcorn: You are correct that newsstands were produced at a higher rate than directs til the mid 80's, so yes, direct copies of DD #168 may actually be more rare overall. The 2nd part that makes this question more complex is that newsstands were handled like magazines while direct copies were handled like collectibles. Add in the fact that non-sold newsstands were most likely pulped and you end up with something like:

In grades below 9.0 the ratio is probably close to 1:1 till 1983 to 1985, after that direct copies quickly soaked up 70 to 80 percent of the market. (speaking in general so please don't break out the electron microscope) :arguing:

In the uber-high grades (9.6/9.8) the ratio can skew incredibly high, 38 to 1 newsstand to direct for 9.8 ASM #300. (In a thread somewhere on here) Amazing Spider-Man #300 - Direct and Newsstand (shoutout to @valiantman) :foryou:

I've been on these boards for almost 17 years :preach: and watched as this argument has raged louder and louder. I sense fear in the holders of large direct copy collections. Believe what you like but in 9.6/9.8, my money is on the newsstands.  2c

Edited by ramrod44

On 9/6/2022 at 8:31 AM, The Meta said:

Ugh

Barcodes are so ugly, and the paper is single ply toilet paper

I just do not see the appeal

They match better than direct editions, if a collector is really OCD. (If a collector isn't OCD, are they even a real collector?) :kidaround:

5newsstands.png.d9ef00fa2d22aea6747742be20f165a8.png

5direct.png.87b3a96d2f31510baee6a497f5467904.png

On 9/6/2022 at 12:57 PM, valiantman said:

They match better than direct editions, if a collector is really OCD. (If a collector isn't OCD, are they even a real collector?) :kidaround:

5newsstands.png.d9ef00fa2d22aea6747742be20f165a8.png

5direct.png.87b3a96d2f31510baee6a497f5467904.png

Am I allowed to have a preference? Never have I said people are stupid to collect what they collect 

I've only said my opinions 

Ugh

Barcodes are so ugly, and the paper is single ply toilet paper

I've mentioned this before, but at least to me, I like the newsstand issues now because that's pretty much all I could get as a kid. It's a nostalgia thing for me personally. I remember going to the town drugstore and the supermarket and picking up comics, cards and candy with my paper route and lawn mowing money in the mid to late 1980s and early 1990s. The nearest comic shop was an hour and a half away, so it was a rare occasion that I got to go to one. Most of the books I bought came off the newsstand. Wish I still had them all in good condition, but I sure did enjoy reading them to tatters.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I've mentioned this before, but at least to me, I like the newsstand issues now because that's pretty much all I could get as a kid. It's a nostalgia thing for me personally. I remember going to the town drugstore and the supermarket and picking up comics, cards and candy with my paper route and lawn mowing money in the mid to late 1980s and early 1990s. The nearest comic shop was an hour and a half away, so it was a rare occasion that I got to go to one. Most of the books I bought came off the newsstand. Wish I still had them all in good condition, but I sure did enjoy reading them to tatters.

I was fortunate and the local used bookstore was also a comic shop

I had the choice of picking up a newsstand or direct. I always went with direct because of the better quality 

On 9/5/2022 at 11:02 PM, ramrod44 said:

Your both right in a jacked-up sort of way.:popcorn: You are correct that newsstands were produced at a higher rate than directs til the mid 80's, so yes, direct copies of DD #168 may actually be more rare overall. The 2nd part that makes this question more complex is that newsstands were handled like magazines while direct copies were handled like collectibles. Add in the fact that non-sold newsstands were most likely pulped and you end up with something like:

"Handled like magazines" doesn't mean anything, Directs being all handled like collectibles is a fantasy, and Newsstands being returnable/destroyed is almost always already factored in to these discussions.

In grades below 9.0 the ratio is probably close to 1:1 till 1983 to 1985, after that direct copies quickly soaked up 70 to 80 percent of the market. (speaking in general so please don't break out the electron microscope) :arguing:

There's nothing general about that, just wrong. You don't even need a magnifying glass to see that, let alone an electron microscope.

In the uber-high grades (9.6/9.8) the ratio can skew incredibly high, 38 to 1 newsstand to direct for 9.8 ASM #300. (In a thread somewhere on here) Amazing Spider-Man #300 - Direct and Newsstand (shoutout to @valiantman) :foryou:

"The elephant is like a fan."

I've been on these boards for almost 17 years :preach: and watched as this argument has raged louder and louder. I sense fear in the holders of large direct copy collections. Believe what you like but in 9.6/9.8, my money is on the newsstands.  2c

And there it is, the nugget that allows the entire post to be simply dismissed as the nonsense it is.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:49 PM, ramrod44 said:

Like these:

CapA_241cgc9.8MJ.jpeg

Hulk_345cgc9.6.jpeg

PunisherWJ_7cgc9.8.jpeg

ST_38cgc9.6CPV.jpeg

ST_44cgc9.8.jpeg

X-Men_211cgc_9.8.jpeg

ASM_373cgc9.8.jpeg

X-Men_282cgc9.8.jpeg

X-Men_284cgc9.8APV.jpeg

X-Force_11cgc9.8.jpeg

Daredevil_229cgc9.8.jpeg

X-Men_257cgc9.8.jpeg

X-Men_214cgc9.8.jpg

CapAmericaAnn_8cgc9.8.jpeg

Spiderman_26cgc9.8.jpg

X-Force_15cgc9.8.jpg

CaptainAmerica286cgc9.8CVP.jpg

SwampThing21cgc9.8CVP.jpg

GhostRider6cgc9.8.jpg

FF348cgc9.8.jpg

X-Force2cgc9.8.jpg

X_Men_248cgc9.8.jpg

FF_347cgc9.8.jpg

SilverSurfer_34cgc9.8.jpg

Conan_241cgc9.8.jpg

:acclaim:

I sense desperation for acceptance (probably both market and personal) in the holders of large Newsstand copy collections. :baiting:

Ugh

Barcodes are so ugly

(thumbsu

, and the paper is single ply toilet paper

The vast majority of Newsstands are no different than their Direct counterparts except for the black ink on the cover, and even that is only changed in a few small places.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, Lazyboy said:

(thumbsu

The vast majority of Newsstands are no different than their Direct counterparts except for the black ink on the cover, and even that is only changed in a few small places.

Really? I could have sworn my Xmen were of different paper than the newsstands

Perhaps this was the era of where they were screwing around with the newsstands/direct that I am mis remembering 

I have the direct and newsstands of Phalanx Covenant and a few issues after

On 9/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, The Meta said:

Really? I could have sworn my Xmen were of different paper than the newsstands

Perhaps this was the era of where they were screwing around with the newsstands/direct that I am mis remembering 

I have the direct and newsstands of Phalanx Covenant and a few issues after

That was just before the beginning of Marvel monkeying around with paper (different kinds for the same issue) and Newsstand prices (not identical to Direct).

On 9/6/2022 at 2:30 PM, Lazyboy said:

"Handled like magazines" doesn't mean anything, Directs being all handled like collectibles is a fantasy, and Newsstands being returnable/destroyed is almost always already factored in to these discussions.

There's nothing general about that, just wrong. You don't even need a magnifying glass to see that, let alone an electron microscope.

"The elephant is like a fan."

And there it is, the nugget that allows the entire post to be simply dismissed as the nonsense it is.

Most people come on these boards to share information, ideas and post pics of books they have seen/purchased.

However your standard operating procedure is to proclaim your opinions as fact and then attack, demean and insult anyone who disagrees. If your goal is to be viewed as a more arrogant, less informed version of Joe Collector, you're doing a great job. :screwy: 

On 9/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

I sense desperation for acceptance (probably both market and personal) in the holders of large Newsstand copy collections. :baiting:

Biznatch Please, I don't need your acceptance, I've got GPA and other sales info on my side. 

I'm sure you will come up with some lame excuse that the buyers are ignorant, uniformed and only buying the hype. 

Because, after all, it's your SOP. 

On 9/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, ramrod44 said:

Most people come on these boards to share information, ideas and post pics of books they have seen/purchased.

However your standard operating procedure is to proclaim your opinions as fact and then attack, demean and insult anyone who disagrees. If your goal is to be viewed as a more arrogant, less informed version of Joe Collector, you're doing a great job. :screwy: 

:screwy: Maybe try actually reading more instead of proving yourself to be a far more arrogant, far less informed version of Joe Collector.

I proclaim facts as facts. If you don't know or understand the facts, that is entirely on you. I have explained many things in great detail for people like you, only to have it ignored and be attacked. Though, to be fair, I have gotten through to a few people.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:17 PM, ramrod44 said:

Biznatch Please, I don't need your acceptance, I've got GPA and other sales info on my side. 

I'm sure you will come up with some lame excuse that the buyers are ignorant, uniformed and only buying the hype. 

Because, after all, it's your SOP. 

Reality doesn't change just because you don't like it and the reality is that the so-called Newsstand market cannot be separated from the endlessly perpetuated nonsense and lies that have been fueling it.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because you already conceded the weakness of your position when you posted "I sense fear in the holders of large direct copy collections."

On 9/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Lazyboy said:

:screwy: Maybe try actually reading more instead of proving yourself to be a far more arrogant, far less informed version of Joe Collector.

I proclaim facts as facts. If you don't know or understand the facts, that is entirely on you. I have explained many things in great detail for people like you, only to have it ignored and be attacked. Though, to be fair, I have gotten through to a few people.

Your facts will be proven wrong over time and the fact that you act like an arrogant d-bag just shows how scared you really are. 

I remember buying newstands at 7/11 also I remember subscribing to Uncann X-men from Marvel back then and they came in newstand not direct.!!!  For the real collector you need both newstand and direct and also the Canadian variant . wow those 9.8s looks like my collection. from the mid 90s lol  nice books .