• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

686 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, littledoom said:

Estate sale find. Never seen a newsstand. And it’s 2nd print :wink:

B60FA635-83DE-4BD2-B4B0-A776F04063E6.thumb.jpeg.12965b33b1b0c6d4a472264c3343e51b.jpeg

DAD46F16-F59D-49E6-A27B-6DBFCA6752B5.thumb.jpeg.3389cb77c3f9cfd76eeaa7835af0d550.jpeg

This is cool, I didn't realize there were newsstand editions either. I see there are a couple of issue 2-4 newsstands listed on eBay, but I don't see any of issue 1.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:45 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

This is cool, I didn't realize there were newsstand editions either. I see there are a couple of issue 2-4 newsstands listed on eBay, but I don't see any of issue 1.

I checked in the past 12 months only one hit the market back in December. Pretty rare newsstand considering the endless amounts of copies 

On 7/11/2022 at 12:02 AM, divad said:

Posted this in response to a question in Moderns. but it may belong here . . . any thoughts?

Regardless of where it ended up or the path it took to get there, it's still just a Direct edition with a sticker.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, Lazyboy said:

Regardless of where it ended up or the path it took to get there, it's still just a Direct edition with a sticker.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar . . . but a sticker is a sticker is a sticker.

I was arguing with a guy on IG about newsstands on his DD 168 Newsstand, He thinks he has something rare and was referring to this high sale of 13K+ on Heritage https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I was trying to tell him that Newsstand copies from 1981 aren't rare and that a majority of books then were all newsstands since comic shops weren't as plentiful then as they are now.  I went on to say that "No one screams "I have an ASM 1 Newsstand"  He told me I wasn't making any sense and that his buddy pays big money for newsstand copies, however, According to him that they started the UPCs in 1976 and that they are rare cause of all the mishandling. He asked "Are you trying to school me"?  He eventually just blocked me so the conversation died

Anyway, There's lots of keys from around the time DD 168 came out but, just because a UPC got slapped on the cover during 1976+, we are supposed to pay more for them, when that's the way comics were distributed all along?  I think if anything the direct copies are the actual rarer copies during that time.  Why aren't people paying 13K for a newsstand DD 131 9.8? 13K for a What if 10 9.8?  13k MS 32 9.8?  They all have bar codes on them and are keys, yet are supposed to be rare, cause they are newsstands?  Am I missing something here?  He told me I don't make any sense or he just didn't wanna hear my argument. He thinks he's right, is he?  (shrug)

On 8/31/2022 at 11:03 PM, Kevin76 said:

I was arguing with a guy on IG about newsstands on his DD 168 Newsstand, He thinks he has something rare and was referring to this high sale of 13K+ on Heritage https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I was trying to tell him that Newsstand copies from 1981 aren't rare and that a majority of books then were all newsstands since comic shops weren't as plentiful then as they are now.  I went on to say that "No one screams "I have an ASM 1 Newsstand"  He told me I wasn't making any sense and that his buddy pays big money for newsstand copies, however, According to him that they started the UPCs in 1976 and that they are rare cause of all the mishandling. He asked "Are you trying to school me"?  He eventually just blocked me so the conversation died

Anyway, There's lots of keys from around the time DD 168 came out but, just because a UPC got slapped on the cover during 1976+, we are supposed to pay more for them, when that's the way comics were distributed all along?  I think if anything the direct copies are the actual rarer copies during that time.  Why aren't people paying 13K for a newsstand DD 131 9.8? 13K for a What if 10 9.8?  13k MS 32 9.8?  They all have bar codes on them and are keys, yet are supposed to be rare, cause they are newsstands?  Am I missing something here?  He told me I don't make any sense or he just didn't wanna hear my argument. He thinks he's right, is he?  (shrug)

There isn't a ton of information available to us because CGC doesn't separate the direct editions from the newsstands. When GPAnalysis.com does the separation, we get some information about the CGC market that's not in the CGC census.

According to GPA, Daredevil #168 has had 10 universal sales in CGC 9.8 in the past 12 months. 7 have been direct editions, 3 have been newsstand.

According to GPA, Daredevil #168 has had 41 universal sales in CGC 9.6 in the past 12 months. 39 have been direct editions, 2 have been newsstand.

While it's very likely that direct editions were printed in much lower quantities than newsstand for Daredevil #168 more than 40 years ago, there's market data to show that high CGC grade newsstands aren't as plentiful today.

My theory is that high grade comics from 30+ years ago were primarily in the hands of "serious collectors" who protected their comics. When newsstand was the only option, "serious collectors" protected newsstands. There was no option.

"Serious collectors" were the reason the direct market was created. They already bought their comics at comic shops. They already protected their comics well. 

We have high grade (old) comics today thanks to "serious collectors" of the past, whether it was the 1930s or the 1980s. When the comic shops switched over to direct editions, "serious collectors" protected the direct editions. They didn't change anything about how they collected. The comic shops made the change to direct, but their customers kept right on doing what they'd always done, protecting their books.

How many "serious collectors" were protecting newsstands after direct editions arrived? The more data we get, the more it appears the answer is... "not as many".

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/newsstand-direct-edition-data-where-gpanalysis-is-leading-the-way

Edited by valiantman

On 8/31/2022 at 11:03 PM, Kevin76 said:

He sounds like yet another moronic clown who bought the hype.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, divad said:

Yes, another "moronic clown" that collects comic books . . . :insane:

Probably just a speculator, not actually a collector. Obviously doesn't really know anything about comic books, based on Kevin's description.