• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's GREEN LANTERN show (2021?)
2 2

90 posts in this topic

Finn Wittrock (American Horror Story) has been tapped to star as Guy Gardner/Green Lantern in HBO Max’s upcoming series based on the DC characters, from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Written by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Seth Grahame-Smith, Green Lantern reinvents the classic DC property through a story spanning decades and galaxies, beginning on Earth in 1941 with the very first Green Lantern, secretly gay FBI agent Alan Scott, and 1984, with cocky alpha male Guy Gardner (Wittrock) and half-alien Bree Jarta. They’ll be joined by a multitude of other Lanterns — from comic book favorites to never-before-seen heroes.

Wittrock’s Guy Gardner/Green Lantern is a hulking mass of masculinity, and, as rendered in the comics, an embodiment of 1980s hyper-patriotism. And yet, Guy is somehow likable.

Berlanti, Guggenheim and Grahame-Smith executive produce with Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter, David Madden and David Katzenberg; Elizabeth Hunter and Sara Saedi co-executive produce.

The Guy Gardner incarnation of Green Lantern headlined the 1997 CBS Justice League of America pilot, in which the character was played by Matthew Settle.

HBO Max's Green Lantern series is finally coming into focus, and now we know that Finn Wittrock will be bringing the character of Guy Gardner to life in the anticipated series. Fans are excited to see the character brought to the small screen, and we recently got a glimpse behind the scenes during a new Q&A with Wittrock and Rotten Tomatoes. Wittrock was asked about the audition process for the Gardner, and he admits it was a bit daunting and bigger than what he expected, but it all worked out in the end.

"I did an old-fashioned screen test if everyone knows what that is," Wittrock said. "Usually on an audition, you go to a casting office or here, I've done lots of auditions here in front of a screen. But the old school way of doing it was you go to a studio and they put lights and a camera like a real film and you do a proper scene, so that's what I did."

"It was kind of daunting and way bigger than I thought it would be," Wittrock said. "Vickie Thomas, who's this casting director who I was always a little, not scared of, but an impressive woman, she sat on this dolly as they pushed into my face on this little stool and read with me. She has a special place in my heart. Then like a week later I found out I got it, so it was very cool. I was very thankful."

Wittrock has been featured on several seasons of American Horror Story and is also known for roles in Ratched and American Crime Story. He'll join a cast that will feature Scott, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and a new Lantern named Bree Jarta. If the future castings are as good as this one, we could be in for quite an epic show indeed.

While not yet officially signed on like his potential co-star Finn Wittrock (Guy Gardner), it’s exciting to see more casting developments for our favorite green-colored space cops.

Interestingly, Irvine’s proposed deal is being described to us as a one-year deal, unlike Wittrock’s role as Guy Gardner. This could potentially spell trouble for the character of Alan Scott in the series.

The Green Lantern series will air on HBO Max and will feature various Green Lanterns throughout time. Other Lanterns that will be featured in the series include the aforementioned Guy Gardner, Bree Jarta, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz. Also being featured in the series is famous Green Lantern villain, Sinestro. However, before he takes his villainous turn, he will be seen as one of the Green Lanterns.

We also know of some characters that will not be in the series, Hal Jordan and John Stewart, as these two are being saved for the Green Lantern Corps movie.

HBO Max has tapped Lee Toland Krieger to direct multiple episodes of the upcoming Green Lantern series, including its pilot, The Direct has exclusively learned.

Berlanti Productions is producing Green Lantern in association with DC Comics, and Krieger has developed a rapport with the Greg Berlanti-led studio in recent years. Since 2017, Krieger directed episodes for Riverdale, You, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Prodigal Son, and Superman & Lois, all of which were produced under the Berlanti banner.

Krieger most recently directed the opening two episodes of Netflix's critically lauded Shadow and Bone. He also has experience with theatrical filmmaking, having helmed 2012's Celeste and Jesse Forever as well as 2015's The Age of Adaline starring Blake Lively and Harrison Ford.

Krieger is set to begin shooting Green Lantern's pilot episode in Los Angeles in September.

I'm not really excited or worried about using this director. I wasn't wowed or disappointed with the overall look of Superman & Lois other than the awful VFX.

Is there anything that shows he's capable of supervising good VFX with a decent budget?

'Awful VFX' seems to work so far with Superman & Lois. Along with a more emotional and engaging CW story than its more modern Arrowverse shows.

The visual effects team are the same folks that worked on HBO's Watchmen, Lovecraft Country, The Boys, WandaVision, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and a little production you may have heard of: Zack Snyder's Justice League.

Rodeo FX Credits

I'm not sure if they are working on the HBO Max Green Lantern Corps show. But other contributions have been solid.

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'Awful VFX' seems to work so far with Superman & Lois. Along with a more emotional and engaging CW story than its more modern Arrowverse shows.

The visual effects team are the same folks that worked on HBO's Watchmen, Lovecraft Country, The Boys, WandaVision, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and a little production you may have heard of: Zack Snyder's Justice League.

Rodeo FX Credits

I'm not sure if they are working on the HBO Max Green Lantern Corps show. But other contributions have been solid.

As a Designer myself, I can tell you that budget matters. It doesn't matter how good my studio is. If I get paid for 1 week of work for S&L vs 2 years of work for ZSJL, you will tell the difference in quality.

That's why I'm asking if the director has overseen a project with a good budget for VFX.

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

If GLC has the same budget for VFX as S&L, it will suck.

If crickets were born with shotguns, would birds still try to eat them? 

Meanwhile, back to reality and remembering some of the production details that came out late last year.

Co-writer and executive producer of Green Lantern, Marc Guggenheim, appeared on YouTube as part of a spotlight panel for Comic-Con and said that while they won't be developing the Green Lantern series as if it's just one long movie, they are still coming at it from a movie standpoint in terms of producing it, which means Green Lantern will have a high budget.

"I happen to believe -- and this is not a universally held opinion -- that you can't do a ten-hour show or an eight-episode show, like an eight-hour movie," Guggenheim said. "I don't think that works. When I see it done, there's always some flabby episodes in the middle. I think you have to approach it like a TV series and approach each episode like its own entity. Even though it's streaming, even though hopefully people will binge it, you've got to make each episode a satisfying meal. You've got to look at it with a different tempo than you would have in a two-hour movie. That being said, certainly the show for HBO Max that we're all working on, we are approaching it with the production ambitions of a movie. So we're writing it like a TV show but we're hoping to produce it like a film."

This appears to be a much higher budget and production goal compared to the traditional CW Arrowverse shows.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

If crickets were born with shotguns, would birds still try to eat them? 

Meanwhile, back to reality and remembering some of the production details that came out late last year.

This appears to be a much higher budget and production goal compared to the traditional CW Arrowverse shows.

That's really all you had to say. Thanks for the unnecessary confrontation.

Big fan of Menzies ever since Rome. Was thrilled when he got cast as Edmure in GOT, but they completely flanderised him. Hopefully this will be his redemption. 

32 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Big fan of Menzies ever since Rome. Was thrilled when he got cast as Edmure in GOT, but they completely flanderised him. Hopefully this will be his redemption. 

He really was fantastic in Rome. 

‘Green Lantern’ Series Writer Wants To Right The Wrongs Of Ryan Reynolds’ Film

In an interview with ComicBookMovie.com, writer Marc Guggenheim discussed the approach that is being taken with the upcoming new HBO Max series. It’s safe to say that they’re looking to improve upon Ryan Reynolds’ movie. Here is what he said about the creative process:

“Green Lantern, we’re approaching it as doing it distinct from the Arrowverse. It’s not going to have any creative tendrils. But yeah, myself, Greg Berlanti, Lamont Magee, Geoff Johns, we’ve all got experience in the Arrowverse. I’m sure that in some way, shape, or form, the sensibilities but also a lot of lessons, we learned a lot of lessons across doing these shows both from a creative standpoint and a production standpoint. I’m sure we’ll be bringing that experience to Green Lantern as we get deeper and deeper into the series."

"Greg and I have worked together for 16 years now. We’ve worked together on a lot of different things – some DC-related, some not DC-related. He came to me years ago, now, with the idea of ‘DC is letting us do a Green Lantern series for their streaming service, would you want to be involved?’ And, I said, of course. Because of the movie and that experience, there’s a strong desire on my part and on Greg’s part to get right what had been gotten wrong ten years ago.”

Lee Toland Krieger is currently set to direct the first two episodes of the upcoming series. The director has previously helmed episodes of Riverdale, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Superman and Lois. 

While Wittrock is still researching the Guy character, pouring over various comics, bingeing the animated series, and, yes, even watching the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie, he has seen superheroic entertainment in the past. He feels "people will be really, really pleasantly surprised" by the upcoming show.

"It is really cool how sprawling a storyline it is," Wittrock says. "It's pretty epic. It spans time and space and has something for everyone. It's not your average superhero story."

Wittrock will appear as Guy, a human Green Lantern described previously by the network as "a hulking mass of masculinity" and "an embodiment of 1980s hyper-patriotism" who's "somehow likeable," in the 1984 period of the show opposite the half-alien Lantern Bree Jarta (the actor is currently unknown). But the show, written and executive produced by the Arrowverse's Greg Berlanti, will move to different times and spaces around the cosmos.

Other Lanterns we know will appear on the 10-episode first season so far include Alan Scott (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again's Jeremy Irvine), a closeted gay F.B.I. Agent living on earth in 1941; Jessica Cruz, Sector 2814's first female Lantern; and Simon Baz, Jessica's frequent partner assigned to Earth. Sinestro and Kilowog, two other characters from the Lantern comics, will also feature.

Out of all of these characters, Wittrock admits that Guy is quite the "polarizing figure." While the actor says the show "definitely" maintains his tendency to showboat, he also says he has "a heart of gold."

"He takes on a lot of this show. He's a pretty big part of it," Wittrock says. "I think it's an interesting way in [to the story]. It's not the conventional way in, but I think people might see a side of him they didn't know was there."

• COLLIDER: It was announced that you’d be the showrunner on the HBO Max Green Lantern series, and that you’d be writing it with Marc Guggenheim. How is that going? It seems like an enormous undertaking.
  • GRAHAME-SMITH: Yeah, that show is gigantic. It has taken quite a bit of time to get to this point and it’s just a big, big undertaking. It’s going really well. All I can say is that it’s going really well and there are gonna be Green Lanterns in it, and it’s gonna be on HBO Max.

• COLLIDER: As a kid, were you a fan of that character, or was it something you became familiar with later on?

• GRAHAME-SMITH: I’ll admit, I wasn’t like a huge comic book kid. I was a huge movie kid. And so, my introduction to DC Comics came through the ‘89 Batman movie. When that movie came out, I was like, "Oh, my God, Batman is the coolest," and I started reading Batman comic books. But Green Lantern is something that, to be honest with you, just came to me later, by way of just talking about doing the show. The possibility of doing the show led me down a deep dive of Green Lantern lore. We’ll see. It’s gonna be awhile before the world gets to see that, but we are very, very busy at work, as we speak.