• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2023 at 10:26 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Not for nothing, but I have a brand new 55 inch 8K TV with surround sound and I get Disney+ in my house.

Please tell me - in very small words - what possible reason do I have to go to the movie theater with Mrs. Donut and drop $50 with to see Ant-Man?

On 2/27/2023 at 9:35 AM, valiantman said:

This quote:

Average revenue per user for Disney+, a key measure for streaming, fell 5% to $5.96 because of the strong value of the U.S. dollar.

... does line up pretty well with the $6.25 estimate needed for $1Billion in revenue per month for 160million subscribers, especially if you put that 5% back in (to get to the prior number, it was $6.25).

Don't forget how many hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of people who are on Verizon and was given D+ for free for a year (think it runs out in May, which at that time I will not be re-upping).  Now I'm sure that since it was a promo Disney is "eating" the cost of those subs.  

On 2/27/2023 at 4:10 PM, media_junkie said:

Don't forget how many hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of people who are on Verizon and was given D+ for free for a year (think it runs out in May, which at that time I will not be re-upping).  Now I'm sure that since it was a promo Disney is "eating" the cost of those subs.  

Mrs. Donut confims this is us. Hopefully Ant-Man will be on the channel before then.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Not for nothing, but I have a brand new 55 inch 8K TV with surround sound and I get Disney+ in my house.

Please tell me - in very small words - what possible reason do I have to go to the movie theater with Mrs. Donut and drop $50 with to see Ant-Man?

For me it is the over-priced popcorn.  And I'm only 1/2 joking.  I love that stuff. 

55" though?  In this day and age?  Why so small?  :nyah:  Mine is 65" and it's 5 years old.  (only 4k tho')

On 2/27/2023 at 6:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Crazy how theaters become a major expense, even if by yourself let alone with a group.

Now with some theaters toying with added expense if you want decent seats. The closer it gets to theaters changing drastically.

Yup. Cineworld UK has just gone bankrupt. Not surprising you'll see changes to a struggling model.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/27/2023 at 9:19 PM, crassus said:

I agree with those other reviewers (above, in this thread) who have said Marvel needs to get back to smaller stories in smaller (real) worlds with less cosmic at stake. I never liked the "multi-verse" idea. Its almost the death, by definition, of what usually makes a character interesting and relatable to people- the idea of the unique, irreplaceable, "the one and only" character, in a definable world. 2c

"Death is what gives life meaning." - The Ancient One

On 2/27/2023 at 11:07 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I think the problem with Kang as the villain is that I don't think they've explained why he's such a threat

with Thanos it was easy, he wants to wipe out half the population

I'm not sure exactly what Kang wants and how that affects (me as a viewer) that it can be explained in one simple sentence

I repeat, the multiverse created a bigger mess than help tie up some of the issues with solving the threat of Thanos and bringing back the people lost from the blip

With Thanos, we didn’t know he wanted the Infinity Stones to wipe out half of all life until Avengers Infinity War, which was at the near end of the Infinity Saga, six or seven years after his introduction.

For Quantumania, even though it’s told in small detail what his endgame is, what’s really important to know for the story is simply that he is a powerful mass murderer who wants out of the Quantum Realm.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

With Thanos, we didn’t know he wanted the Infinity Stones to wipe out half of all life until Avengers Infinity War, which was at the near end of the Infinity Saga, six or seven years after his introduction.

For Quantumania, even though it’s told in small detail what his endgame is, what’s really important to know for the story is simply that he is a powerful mass murderer who wants out of the Quantum Realm.

But even if there are infinite numbers if Kang, they have shown he can be fairly easily defeated, twice.  They have shown him to have only the power level needed for a particular scene to work also.  I was excited when Kang show up in Loki, I am board with him already. As it seems like the general audience is also.

Part of what made Thanos work was making him a looming threat that was always present, but lurking and waiting. With Kang they are doing the complete oppiset, except for perhaps the reveling his unltimate goal. His only threat at this point is, we have lots more if him, and he is pretty strong, imagine if they work together. But as already stated, the unknown threat (Thanos), is far scarier and interesting, than a known villian that has already been defeated. So now you have set up the very difficult job of keeping him interesting through multiple appearances (we already know his plays a part in Loki 2).  So audience will get board with seeing him repeatedly, and seeing him lose repeatedly. With Thanos, they gave us just enough to want more, so when he was fully relieved it was great. They let him win big with his first full appearance,  so now he was a legitimate threat. While Kang is already shown as beatable. 

Edited by drotto

More good news!

I just checked, and Quantumania's 69.9% 2nd weekend drop doesn't even make the top 5 among comic book films.

Huzzah!

Those would be:

• Steel (-78%)
  • Morbius (-73.8%)
  • The Crow: City of Angels (-72.1%)
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix (-71.5%)
  • The Suicide Squad (-71.5%)