• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Ask Greggy!"™ !!!!

1,835 posts in this topic

Greggy, what is your.......

1. Favourite comic in your possesion? House of Secrets 88

2. Most important comic in your possesion? DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 4

3. Most wanted comic? Batman 238 CGC 9.4 and above?

4. First comic ever read? Demon 3

5. Favourite (comic) read? Batman: Killing Joke

6. Favourite comic character? Batman

7. Favourite gimp mask, tattoo and wig? Don King wig

Dear Greggy,

Who is your favorite American sumo wrestler: Konishiki, Akebono, or Musashimaru--and why? sumo.gif

Akebono, because he reached the top unlike Konishiki. Don't know the last dude.

Greggy, what is your.......

1. Favourite comic in your possesion? House of Secrets 88

2. Most important comic in your possesion? DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 4

3. Most wanted comic? Batman 238 CGC 9.4 and above?

4. First comic ever read? Demon 3

5. Favourite (comic) read? Batman: Killing Joke

6. Favourite comic character? Batman

7. Favourite gimp mask, tattoo and wig? Don King wig

Checkmate foolio! I got Goldy to ask you those questions on my behalf! Ha! Take that beeyotch! boo.gif

Gregory, why do you choose to ignore your old buddy BOC? Your silence towards BOC's questions is deafening. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because in Greggy's World....no good deed goes unpunished? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gregory, why do you choose to ignore your old buddy BOC? Your silence towards BOC's questions is deafening. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because in Greggy's World....no good deed goes unpunished? confused-smiley-013.gif

Greggy ignoring me isn't considered punishment. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dear Greggy,

I'm having trouble removing gray gridlines from colums in Word. Can you tell me how I can permanently hide all gridlines from tables so that they don't come back when I open a file. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dear Greggy,

I'm having trouble removing gray gridlines from colums in Word. Can you tell me how I can permanently hide all gridlines from tables so that they don't come back when I open a file. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Dear Greggy,

How does the Rule Against Perpetuities work?

The rule against perpetuities is a rule in (Click link for more info and facts about property law) property law which prohibits a (A temporary military unit) contingent grant or (A legal document declaring a person's wishes regarding the disposal of their property when they die) will from vesting outside a certain period of time. If there is an possibility of the estate vesting outside of the period, regardless how remote, the whole interest is void, and is stricken from a grant. The rule is concerned with the utility of unused property and tries to prevent people from tieing up assets for too long a period of time—a concept often referred to as control by the "dead hand". That is, the purpose is to "limit the testator's power to earmark gifts for remote descendants". Some argue the rule also prevents the concentration of wealth in society.

At (A system of jurisprudence based on judicial precedents rather than statutory laws) common law, the length of time is fixed at 21 years after the death of an indentifiable person alive at the time the interest was created. This is often expressed as "lives in being plus twenty one years". In order to avoid the complexities of the rule, many jurisdictions have statutes that either cancel out the rule entirely or put clearer limits on the period of time and who is effected by it.

About half of the states in the (North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776) United States follow the United States Rule Against Perpetuities, which gives a grantor 90 years for the interest to vest. If the interest does not vest to some life in being within 90 years, the grant will be reformed judicially so it does vest.

Other states follow a "wait and see approach" whereby if the interest does not vest within 21 years, the court will either reform the grant so it does or strike the clause that violates the rule.

There are several ways to avoid violating the rule. For example, a person could use a trust with a "measuring life" to ensure that the contingent interest (typically called a "remainder") vests in someone. This is often the case in large families. For instance if a family has 12 children, they might write a grant using the 12th child as the "measuring life" to ensure the grant vests, but also endures for a sufficiently long time. There are also charity exceptions to the rule that allow grants to charities to survive without violating the rule. screwy.gif