• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

Think I'll body swerve this one. I love The Joker, he's the best character to ever grace the pages of a comic book and has had some phenomenal screen portrayals, but this isn't The Joker. I did enjoy the first movie for what it was and will watch it again at some point but this just doesn't interest me, bolstered by the fact I've never like Harley Quinn as a character. The first movie I could separate from the Batman mythos and enjoy as a one-off story but I doubt this will scratch that spot. Although it would still be better than Jared Leto's "Joker" by default.

On 10/5/2024 at 9:15 AM, paperheart said:

image.thumb.png.7106021b872cc5834ed5f27cf04aba5d.png

Generous.  Maybe because Phoenix had to starve himself to play the role…give him an “A for effort” to bump the rest of the movie’s failures into a low D range score???

That’s the only reason I can think of.

So much of the movie just doesn’t make any sense.  Here are my biggest questions and why, besides the ridiculously stupid music numbers, the movie doesn’t work.

Spoiler

1.  So he’s in jail, awaiting trial for killing 5 people, but they allow him to attend music therapy or whatever it is?  As absurd as that is, they don’t  have him restrained.  Why?

2.  He’s allowed contact/alone time at said therapy with Harley.  Why?  

3.  She sets fire to the building, they attempt an escape but she’s not arrested and thrown in jail? 

4.  She’s allowed to visit him in prison after the  arson and attempted escape???

No further questions as I bailed on the movie shortly after the trial started.

Wow, several people walking out that post here? Not a ringing endorsement. Maybe not a massive surprise when Tod Phillips has stated he does not like superhero films (hates them in fact), and seems like he was pushed into making this one. So he ends up making a middle finger to superhero films and possibly fans. I have heard the film is visually well made, the makers clearly know how to make movies, and the acting is solid, but the script, plot, and themes are just bad.

As to those saying he does not seem like the Joker. I have not seen the movie but a major spoiler I heard. Is this correct? 

Spoiler

The movie heavily implies he is not the actual Joker and is in fact killed by the real Joker at the end?

On 10/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I ultimately did (years later) see the first one - and hated it for all the reasons I thought I would - that it was a betrayal of the character.

If what I've read about the ending of this film is correct, I was 100% right.

Yup - I said so then and continue to say so now.

Ridiculous betrayal of the character.

Even more so if the rumored ending is correct.

#NotMyJoker

#HotGarbage

On 10/5/2024 at 1:37 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I remember reading somewhere they asked Joaquin Phoenix if he would be doing a Joker 3 to finish a trilogy, and he answered very adamantly no, as he was done with the Joker. I found that surprising, so maybe he knew this second Joker movie wasn`t up to the first? 

I think it points more towards Phoenix's stance on not doing any squeals (this is his first one).

On 10/5/2024 at 8:58 AM, chrisco37 said:
  Hide contents

1.  So he’s in jail, awaiting trial for killing 5 people, but they allow him to attend music therapy or whatever it is?  As absurd as that is, they don’t  have him restrained.  Why?

2.  He’s allowed contact/alone time at said therapy with Harley.  Why?  

3.  She sets fire to the building, they attempt an escape but she’s not arrested and thrown in jail? 

4.  She’s allowed to visit him in prison after the  arson and attempted escape???

No further questions as I bailed on the movie shortly after the trial started.

Your questions for 1, 3, & 4 is just poor writing and needing to force the plot forward without regard to common sense... but it is a movie after all.

Spoiler

#2 is pretty common due to doctor/patient confidentiality though given his status he would likely be in a CCTV monitored room, but again movie necessity.

If you walked out when the trial started you didn't even get to the really terrible parts.. lol

On 10/5/2024 at 10:19 AM, drotto said:
  Hide contents

The movie heavily implies he is not the actual Joker and is in fact killed by the real Joker at the end?

Spoiler

Not so much as this movie is a direct tear down of the first one and a pretentious finger wag of "your consuming art wrong" so they purposefully subvert anything that could be tacitly connected to the Joker. I would go so far as to say having some rando kill him and then paint his own face laughing was a very direct FU to the audience that liked the Joker character (because you were not supposed to and now need to be taught a lesson).

On 10/5/2024 at 12:22 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yup - I said so then and continue to say so now.

Ridiculous betrayal of the character.

Even more so if the rumored ending is correct.

#NotMyJoker

#HotGarbage

Fortunately the first movie was a huge success. And especially due to repeat viewings. So your assumption fails the test on the original film.

I guess using the pending massive failure on the sequel as a face-saving attempt to the first is an approach.

On 10/5/2024 at 5:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's the end of this film...

image.thumb.jpeg.ea6f032063158b7ac45e720bc7fa0c8b.jpeg

What a shame after the huge success of the first film.

This makes me want to see it more. 

On 4/8/2024 at 11:56 PM, s-man said:

I just don't see this being good, not as a musical...hope I'm wrong tho. 

Sometimes I hate being right, was really hoping after the first movie this one would be at least decent.