• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah Hake’s does like a rolling scale I believe right? Isn’t it like every certain amount it goes down 1%? Or maybe I’m thinking of another auction site.

Thst I don’t know. I’ve had some good stuff and they were willing to negotiate.  Kelly is great to work with there 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thst I don’t know. I’ve had some good stuff and they were willing to negotiate.  Kelly is great to work with there 

Yeah I couldn’t find anything to back my theory up. I just remember considering selling on a particular auction site once and seeing a seller’s fee list of some kind and the higher you sold, the potential fee went down. I thought it was Hake’s, but may have been another site. Either way, good to know they will work with you.

31 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Don't want to stir any pots but I always thought the buyers premium was what the Auction Company takes. They're cut. If its less than what they are showing I don't think that's fair to the person who wins it. Where is that 16.7% (at this point) going? 

Heritage has given me a reduced Seller's premium.  But, the Seller's premium comes out of the bid price as a fee paid by the Seller to the auction house.  The buyer's premium is paid by the buyer directly to Heritage, not to the seller at all, and thus is "added on" to the bid price with the label "buyer's premium" in the auction info.  Having said that, it is still a fee  which, as a practical matter, comes out of what a buyer is willing to pay for a book and should be viewed as part of the seller's consignment fee.  

3 hours ago, zen514 said:

So basically Darkseid and I were the only 1 million +   snd Comicdonna at 985k

The pool of bidder is not that small... It only takes a few dealers to get together and buy. Happens alot. They then re sell to prospective buyers. The real fun happens is when two or mroe decide to go for it. All we need to take a look is at art and sportscards. Comics is stil on the cheap. Especially with printed money.

The Rockford was pulled out quick as I thought it would.  Reminds me of the whiz comics 2 that sat at comicconnect at 50k and sold in auction for 162k.

I was over 1 mil.  $1,050,000

13 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Dealers have colluded, I mean teamed up to buy collections often. I’ve never heard of them buying together at auction just to afford it.

The store owner of a shop that was once near me, but went out of business several years ago claimed to be a part owner in an Action 1 CGC 8.0. I don’t know if it was legit, but he was pretty well known in the industry so I didn’t think he was lying.

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Have any pool of dealers ever paid $1M for a book?  I can think of a board member dealer and another dealer who partnered on a mid+ six figure book, but of the small number of books that have sold for $1M, I'm not aware of any that were bought by an investment pool of dealers.  Not saying they didn't, just never heard they did.

Only dealer (singular) to ever have paid $1M for a book is Metro. The AS8 owners came close.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, Crowzilla said:

^This. If I had to guess (and I haven't swum in that pool for a while) I would say there are probably 10-15 who would be willing to drop a million on a single book, but for most of them that right book has not become available yet.

But when you use the "there are lots of millionaires, so there must be more people willing to spend a million on X" you wonder why aren't other pop collectibles selling for a million dollars or more? Millionaires love James Bond, but I don't see any of them dropping a million dollars on James Bond items (Not counting the Aston Martin, which belongs to a different group of collectors). Millions of people love love Led Zeppelin, but when the art for the Zeppelin I cover came up a few months ago it couldn't come close to a million. How come? I love Godzilla as do many wealthy people in Asia, but none of them are dropping a million on Godzilla collectibles. There is just a huge, huge level of difference between six figures and seven figures, even in today's world of spiraling dollars and stocks that trade for 1000x earnings.

We have a really tiny, specialty hobby no matter how big we wish it was. When I think about what Ernie Gerber used to say - that several titles in the GA used to sell a million an issue, yet out of those million+ buyers, there was literally only one person who saved every single comic published for the first 20 years, it's amazing to me that we might have even a dozen people willing to spend a million dollars on one of those books now.

Tell about the Zep?   I thought Zep 1 was a photo?

On 11/3/2020 at 3:53 PM, sfcityduck said:

In a world where an Action 1 5.5 sold for $956K four year ago, and ten year ago both an Action 1 and D27 8.0 sold for north of $1M (D27 $1.075M), how can anyone be surprised that a D27 7.0 (ow) would break $1M? 

It would be shocking if it did not go north of $1M.  Really shocking.  This copy sold for $500K nine years ago.  It's a D27!

Interesting point.   Prices seem weak, really, compared to that.   I remember A1 and D27 prices rocketed up and it does seem like they haven’t done much last 3-4 years.   Not that I watch closely but your comments are good reminders 

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

OK. I stand corrected...  did these shared purchases go smoothly?

I think all these people have solid personal / business relationships built over many years. So I’d gather yes but I have no specific information one way or the other.  

My prediction was wrong, so I dunno why I bother commenting but it's the internet so whatever...I wonder how much more the book will rise before the end of the auction, as opposed to just the spike at the end?

16 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Only dealer (singular) to ever have paid $1M for a book is Metro. The AS8 owners came close.

Isn't Metro a business entity that has more than a singular "owner" ? So in a sense, it was "shared" between at least 2 if not more human beings ....  ?