• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Tec #27 come to auction?
6 6

1,086 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

How in the heck did you get Davey Jones Monkees era drivers license? Pretty cool. 

His daughters had an estate sale after he passed.  I love The Monkees - had to have it :) 

Edited by Chicago Boy

4 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

What would an Action #1 7.0 go for in today’s market?

First off, I would think presentation would play a role, like it has with people’s perception of this Tec 27 7.0. The last somewhat comparable Action 1 I can think of that came to market was the 5.5 that sold for $950K. So I’d have to assume a 7.0 would be in the 1.5 mil range give or take a hundred thousand, maybe more. I mean I thought that 8.5 back in the would break like 3 mil and it just broke 2 mil. So who knows. Ironically there is no Action 1 graded in 7.0 so I guess we won’t ever see that happen regardless lol.

Edited by LDarkseid1

7 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Why?

I looked it up. There are no 7.0's. Only 5 restored 7.0's. But I suppose your question was hypothetical so it doesn't matter if any exist or not. Plus you didn't say if you meant a cgc 7.0 or not.

Well a CGC 4.0 went for 574K in 2018. A 5.0 went for a whopping 815K in the same year. A 5.5 for 956K in 2016. And in 2018 an 8.5 went for 2 million. So by using a formula based on those numbers, which I just invented in my head about 30 seconds ago, the answer is 1,490,00.00 give or take 100,000 .

Edited by Professor Chaos
my math was off

Looks like the Rockford 27 was pulled as I can no longer find it on Metro/CC

I had it under watch but can't find it in my watch list either, so I don't think it sold.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like the Rockford 27 was pulled as I can no longer find it on Metro/CC

I had it under watch but can't find it in my watch list either, so I don't think it sold.

I wud agree.  I assume it’s related to the start of the Heritage auction 

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I wud agree.  I assume it’s related to the start of the Heritage auction 

First thing I thought as well. The owner of the 6.0 at 900k may have a feeling that the 7.0 might go for a ridiculous amount so its on ice until the 7.0 is over and done with. I'm probably wrong but I would say its definitely related. Plus he/she probably won't be getting any offers for it while the 7.0 is active. 

On 10/26/2020 at 12:57 AM, Professor Chaos said:

I agree with that. I guess thats why I figure there will be a few very wealthy people going after this one. And if so the owner of the Rockford just might get his price. I bet people thought Nick Cage was nuts for buying his Action 1 for what I've read was 82.5K in 1992.  Then again I doubt we'll see a boom in prices people will be willing to pay for these high end and/or rare gems like what happened about 10-15 years ago. Investors must know this which will make them think twice at this time. Perhaps the ship really has sailed.

What I mean is for example I believe the Action 1 cgc 8.5 that sold for 2 million in 2018 from what I've read changed hands in 1995 for 137K. So it appreciated almost 15 times its value in 23 years. I believe there's no way any of these top books in the hobby will appreciate anywhere near that percentage in the future 20 or 25 years. 

Either way I can wait to be there when this one closes. 

As far as baseball cards. People just aren't into sports like they used to be. It got too commercial and money hungry which made a lot of people tune out. But the "Iconic" players- Gretzky and Jordan Rookies, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Dimaggio, Mantle, will always appreciate.

Music Memorabelia is where its at in the future. David Gilmour's Stratocastor sold for 4 million last year. Even Kurts Green Sweater went for well over 300K..... unwashed since 1994.

I fail to see the consistency of logic when you say that a copy pf Action 1 has increased 15X times in 23 years and you say it's clearly topping out at 2 or 3 mil for the best copies, THEN you go on to say that music memorabilia is "the future," meaning, I presume it has not topped out and things you can obtain should achieve multiples much assuredly. and the example you use is a piece that is ALREADY at 4 Mil and, while I recognize the name of the musician and the make of the guitar, I know that his name recognition worldwide is the barest fraction of Supermans and that the guitars he owned and used in his lifetime most certainly would outnumber the uber high grade Action 1s, and yet you're postulating it will have the same kind of increase as Action 1 over the last couple decades, which would mean this example of "music memorabilia" (the FUTURE) stands a better chance in your view of being worth 15X in 23 years (aka 60 MILLION) for a guitar once owned by by David Gilmour (aka from most of humanity:  "who?")

Edited by bluechip

Oh. I'm sorry you guys don't know who David Gilmour is. My mistake. He's a guy who many many miilions of people all over the world have paid to see him play guitar and sing for the past 53 years. The guitar player for a little group called The Pink Floyd. 

I'll try to be more precise in what I meant. I think its true that Action Comics for example has appreciated about 15 times in value over the past say 25 years. Not an exact science but that's about in the ballpark.

And I think its safe to say that it most likely won't appreciate near that amount in the coming 25 years. I don't believe I gave it a 2 to 3 million dollar cap. 

Another thing I simply meant, again I'll be more precise, is that when you get in to the big money comics that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars and even over a million a lot of prospective buyers are not bidding on them with the intention of keeping it forever or putting it on a wall for someone to steal. They are making an investment to make money. That is what drives the bidding up. To make a profit thats worth investing and basically freezing that amount of money for a time, probably many years, they gotta hope to sell it for a lot more than what they paid considering commision fees and taxes. And I think its safe to say that an Action Comics #1 for example that sold for over 2 million dollars probably isn't going to sell for much more than that for a long time. When you get to books of that price the main driving force of bidders is to make a profit and if the profit isn't going to be a lot the bidding just won't be there.

How much do you think it would sell for in 25 years? None of us know really. I would say about double but I don't have ESP so I could be wrong. 

As far music memorabilia what I meant by future is a growing interest in it. And a growing interest usually equals a growing value. The Gilmour Strat was just a freak thing I would say. Two or more billioniares on a bidding frenzy. But in a way it is rarer than Action #1. He toured with it for years since 1970, recorded a bunch of albums with it,  and it was the only one. A Kurt Cobain guitar just sold for 6 million dollars. Are they good investments I don't know but I think it surely shows that there is increasing interest in that sort of stuff.  Lots of music fans out there. Ok take care.

spelling