• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM Artists (poll)

Pick 4  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Your top four (4) Amazing Spider-Man artists:

• Steve DITKO
    • John ROMITA (Sr.)
    • Gil KANE
    • Todd McFARLANE
    • Mark BAGLEY
    • Erik LARSEN
    • John ROMITA (Jr.)
    • Ron FRENZ
    • Ross ANDRU
    • John BUSCEMA
    • Rick LEONARDI
    • Stuart IMMONEN
    • Mike ZECK
    • Mike DEODATO
    • Alex SAVIUK
    • Sal BUSCEMA
    • John BYRNE
    • Larry LIEBER
    • Jim MOONEY
    • OTHER

48 posts in this topic

52 votes in and Romita ahead of Ditko.... who'd a thunk?

In all fairness, a very wise (but don't tell him that) collector once told me "most of the legendary mythology that we love about Spidey actually happened in the Romita issues, not the Ditko ones."

11 hours ago, J.Sid said:

. . . a very wise (but don't tell him that) collector once told me "most of the legendary mythology that we love about Spidey actually happened in the Romita issues, not the Ditko ones."

Must be the same guy who once told me that Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos won the Second World War for the Allies!  :roflmao:

14 hours ago, J.Sid said:

52 votes in and Romita ahead of Ditko.... who'd a thunk?

In all fairness, a very wise (but don't tell him that) collector once told me "most of the legendary mythology that we love about Spidey actually happened in the Romita issues, not the Ditko ones."

So...Romita is at 40 votes and Ditko is at 38 votes.  

There are certainly people who prefer Romita over Ditko.  But, how on earth is Ditko not among everybody's top 4 Spidey artists???  

So, there are at least 2 people (possibly more if anyone left Romita off their list) who left Ditko off their ballot...kind of like the voters who didn't vote for Babe Ruth or Ted Williams to get into the Hall of Fame.

Ditko’s got a unique style and perhaps some newer collectors unfamiliar with the stories can’t get past the style?   Romita’s spidey has a safer look but is also far less interesting IMO. 

24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

There are certainly people who prefer Romita over Ditko.  But, how on earth is Ditko not among everybody's top 4 Spidey artists???  

So, there are at least 2 people (possibly more if anyone left Romita off their list) who left Ditko off their ballot...kind of like the voters who didn't vote for Babe Ruth or Ted Williams to get into the Hall of Fame.

Heck, everyone should know that Romita created the Spider-Man mythos, fer Christ-sake.  Ditko was just the warm-up act . . .

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Yup, I voted for Romita and McFarlane and that’s all.  The OP asked us to vote for our top 4 ASM artists, not Greatest contributor of character, mythos or any other measure.

so while I appreciate what Ditko has done for ASM, I find his artwork crude and primitive, and that’s why he didn’t warrant a vote on my Top 4 ASM artists.

for full disclosure, another of my Favs, Charles Vess, was lumped in with ‘others’.  While his body of work on ASM and spiderman in general, is limited, his artwork is ingrained in my mind as one of the Top 4 Spidey artists of all time.  His contribution to the Spidey mythos= nil.  But his artwork was stellar and far superior to Ditko

Edited by jjonahjameson11

51 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Heck, everyone should know that Romita created the Spider-Man mythos, fer Christ-sake.  Ditko was just the warm-up act . . .

Again, the responses are based upon the way the poll question was asked... list your top 4 ASM artists.

if the OP asked for greatest contribution to Spidey mythos , most characters created/co-created, etc., I’m certain the poll results would be different 

31 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Again, the responses are based upon the way the poll question was asked... list your top 4 ASM artists.

if the OP asked for greatest contribution to Spidey mythos , most characters created/co-created, etc., I’m certain the poll results would be different 

Yeah, and my response was geared-up towards the poll compiler's comment (you need to read the whole thread, Jonah) which read:

. . . a very wise (but don't tell him that) collector once told me "most of the legendary mythology that we love about Spidey actually happened in the Romita issues, not the Ditko ones."

. . . which I'm taking as a jokey comment and one that I'm merely playing along with.  I'm not taking any of this too seriously; it's just a bit of fun as far as I'm concerned..

It was a jokey comment, Mr Sid, wasn't it . . ? hm

Edited by The Voord

In any case . . . prices for Ditko ASM pages tells me everything I need to know about the artist's popularity.  I only wish the vast majority of OA collectors would hold Ditko in such low regard as Jonah.  In a similar way to Mike Burkey, I'd love to be able to afford giving myself the moniker, 'Ditkoguy'!  ;)

Problem with polls such as this one . . . it's a bit like seeing those '50 Greatest Albums of all time' polls that re-surface from time-to-time that need to be taken with a big pinch of salt