• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious why Captain Americas appearance doesnt change when he holds Mjolnir?

19 posts in this topic

"whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".

When Beta Ray Bill or Jane Foster hold the hammer they change appearance and wear a costume similar to Thor.

Yet when Captain America wields Mjolnir he doesnt change costumes.

Anyone have an explanation why?

27 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

"whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".

When Beta Ray Bill or Jane Foster hold the hammer they change appearance and wear a costume similar to Thor.

Yet when Captain America wields Mjolnir he doesnt change costumes.

Anyone have an explanation why?

Mjolnir: "I can't top this!"

5 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Captain America’s costume is already vastly superior and therefore cannot be improved further 

this implies Mjolnir has decision making capability and decides who wears Thor-like garb.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

I had always assumed the other two were assuming the mantle of Thor-hood, whereas Cap was simply worthy enough to life it and did so at a time while Thor was still in his role as the Thunder God. But without rereading a lot of books I last read long ago, I have no idea whether this logic bears out. (shrug)

I like this explanation, but Beta Ray Bill changed and was adorned in Thor-hood while Thor was still Thor. 

I haven't been keeping up with Thor the last few decades. I thought you had to bang your walking stick on the ground to change into Thor, and the stick changed into Mjolnir.

I thought Cap was able to pick it up because he is deemed "worthy" (by whatever force makes those decisions) without actually becoming Thor. 

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I like this explanation, but Beta Ray Bill changed and was adorned in Thor-hood while Thor was still Thor. 

I remember that too, but I cannot remember why. It has been too long since I read 337-339 -- like since buying them off the racks! I don't even have those books anymore.