• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage Question
2 2

35 posts in this topic

I realize the best way to preserve a comic  book is to get it CGC graded and slabbed.   I would be broke if I had all my books graded.   So I store them in 2 mil mylites with acid free backing boards and avoid packing my boxes tight.   But I heard on a comic video on YouTube that may not be enough for square bound annuals, giant sized, and the 25 cent comics marvel published for a month or two before increasing the price from 15 to 20 cents.   The person who made the video suggested  the best way to store square bound comic books is in a larger oversized silver /gold bag.   I cannot understand this logic as all comic storage bags taper as you go towards the bottom.   I think what creates crushed or flattened square bound books is by packing them tight or storing them stacked on top of one another.  Is there any merit to using a larger bag to avoid crushing the spine?  It seems the book shifting in the larger bag could become more problematic.   

My annuals and Giant Size etc. fit just fine in the Mylite2's/Fullback combo. They don't shift, largely due to the fact I do nothing that would make them shift, but they're nice and secure.  

And a slab is not automatically the best way to store a book. There is damage that can happen only in a slab.

Mylite2/FB in a cool, dark room is just fine.

Thanks for the feedback.  I do exactly the same as you suggested.  It’s just that someone suggested gold age sized bags for bronze / silver sized books claiming the extra size will protect further against crushing he spine.  I think it has more to do with stuffing the books in a box or stacking them rather than having to buy an oversized bag.  Just wondering if anyone has a preference to storing these square bound books in oversized bags and if it makes a difference 

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

This is the best way to store your prized books:

Image result for christopher walken watch gif

image.png.a450ba6b844b317379e3e49a49894548.png greggy reacted to this

A man who understands (thumbsu

41 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sorry I am not understanding the humor.   Was the video supposed to have some hilarious audio associated with it?   geez ... was just reaching for information.   

Thanks Buttock.  I realize slabs are not foolproof and I wouldn't be ignorant enough to hang it on a sun facing wall or leave it outside in the elements.   I was just wondering if what this guy (I love comics on YouTube) knows what he is talking about when he suggests buying oversize bags (Gold age size for silver comics as an example)  to mitigate spine damage to square bound books.   Based on the replies soar, it doesn't seem that anyone knows.   If someone has direct experience and success I'd value that opinion.   

6 minutes ago, Fred P said:
52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sorry I am not understanding the humor.   Was the video supposed to have some hilarious audio associated with it?   geez ... was just reaching for information.

You don't know what that clip is? :whatthe:

Jokes aside, you never want to have a bag (& board combo) that is too tight for a book. Each common size is made for an average comic from that era, not oversized issues. So there could be problems with some books.

lizards2: That's how greggy reacts to everything now, for some reason. (shrug):gossip:

Hi Fred

There are a lot of different storage solutions and what you use will depend on the value of your books, how much you want to spend and how fussy you are about your books. 

I'd suggest you store a book in a mylar without board and then store that mylar in a larger mylar with a half back or a full back at the back.  That would isolate that book from the backing board while still giving the book backing board protection.  If you don't mind not looking at the book you could create a sandwich with a second backing board on top of the comic - that would protect the book on both sides.  I'd also suggest you use the same size bags and boards for all your good books no matter the era so they line up nicely in a box and you're less likely to sustain long term damage from a smaller bag and board falling out of alignment and pushing against another book.  I'd also suggest that you store books horizontally in small piles on a shelf rather than store books in boxes.  I've seen too many books sustain damage in a box when books get out of alignment with a bunch of books pressing against them.

50 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You don't know what that clip is? :whatthe:

Jokes aside, you never want to have a bag (& board combo) that is too tight for a book. Each common size is made for an average comic from that era, not oversized issues. So there could be problems with some books.

lizards2: That's how greggy reacts to everything now, for some reason. (shrug):gossip:

Many thanks Lazyboy.   I try to use standard vs modern size but there are some square bound books that are snug.   Would appreciate you giving me some context on the video clip as all of a sudden I feel as if I have climbed out from under a Rock after all these years.  Lol

7 minutes ago, Fred P said:

Many thanks Lazyboy.   I try to use standard vs modern size but there are some square bound books that are snug.   Would appreciate you giving me some context on the video clip as all of a sudden I feel as if I have climbed out from under a Rock after all these years.  Lol

Here you go Fred,from Pulp Fiction.

Don't worry,Lizards is just a weirdo.Super great guy and boardie,but :ohnoez:

Seriously,Lizards is fab.

giphy.gif

Oh, @thehumantorch is a super nice fellow with gobs of great,friendly info.My oldest chum here.

Edited by porcupine48

39 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Hi Fred

There are a lot of different storage solutions and what you use will depend on the value of your books, how much you want to spend and how fussy you are about your books. 

I'd suggest you store a book in a mylar without board and then store that mylar in a larger mylar with a half back or a full back at the back.  That would isolate that book from the backing board while still giving the book backing board protection.  If you don't mind not looking at the book you could create a sandwich with a second backing board on top of the comic - that would protect the book on both sides.  I'd also suggest you use the same size bags and boards for all your good books no matter the era so they line up nicely in a box and you're less likely to sustain long term damage from a smaller bag and board falling out of alignment and pushing against another book.  I'd also suggest that you store books horizontally in small piles on a shelf rather than store books in boxes.  I've seen too many books sustain damage in a box when books get out of alignment with a bunch of books pressing against them.

Thanks HumanTorch.  I like the idea of aligning the same size in a box.   That may be difficult with 130 boxes but if I isolate the more valuable books it might work best.   I have a method similar to what you recommend for my most valuable raw books.  My personal slabbing technique takes a comic with a bag and full back board and inserts it into the next size up bag and board.   It almost but not quite, feels like a slabbed book and is very rigid.   I may try your variation with the square bound books.   I hadn’t thought of the benefit of just using a bag and then sandwiching them.  Unfortunately the shelf idea although a good one won’t work for me as I have approximately 24,000 books.   I have been collecting since 1973.   I’ve always prided myself on storage and archiving but the I love comics guy created uncertainty and doubt in my mind about the square bound books and I looked at some of mine like giant size X-men 1 and while I’d grade it in the 9’s, I do see  a little compression on the bottom of the spine.   So I was wondering if there was a better way. Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

giphy.gif

Thanks I’ve seen the movie twice and remember other more gory parts.   The storage method used for the watch was dark but unfortunately too damp for a comic.  Lol.   Thanks for solving the puzzle for me.   I have a sense of humor and a strange one at that and can appreciate Lizards humor now.

1 minute ago, Fred P said:

Thanks I’ve seen the movie twice and remember other more gory parts.   The storage method used for the watch was dark but unfortunately too damp for a comic.  Lol.   Thanks for solving the puzzle for me.   I have a sense of humor and a strange one at that and can appreciate Lizards humor now.

My pleasure,it's not often I can help lol 

Welcome to the boards.Great place here,it's full of hundreds of years of combined expertise-I learn something new almost everyday-and can be a lot of fun.

130 boxes!Looking forward to seeing some more posts,sure you've some great stuff and stories.

Jimmers

25 minutes ago, Fred P said:

I have approximately 24,000 books.   I have been collecting since 1973.   I’ve always prided myself on storage and archiving

Wow, that's absolutely amazing and it sounds like a ton of of books that you have there.  :applause:

Just wondering, do you generally have multiples of some issues or was you mainly just one copy per issue type of collector?  hm

Surprised that you haven't been tempted to sell some of them yet, as from the sounds of it, there must be a lot of in-demand high dollar value books included in there.  Especially since you seem to have really prided yourself on storage in order to preserve them in as perfect a condition as possible.  :takeit:

First of all, I question the assumption that the best way to preserve a comic is to have it graded and slabbed.  All that is done to protect a slabbed comic is they insert a couple of sheets of acid absorbing microchamber paper.  You can purchase those and insert them yourself.  I suppose there is some benefit to being encased in a rigid hard shell casing, but you can purchase those as well.  if you are already using acid free (NOT just coated!) boards and Mylites and avoiding packing them too tightly you have done a lot.  As long as the bags aren't too snug due to the thickness of the annuals, it sounds like you have been very prudent.

I consider storing them in oversize Golden Age bags to be a poor suggestion.  Oversize bags introduces the possibility of the book rotating slightly in the bag such that the corners become blunted.  The best advice is to ignore the advice of strangers who may not have been collecting long enough to know what effect their suggestions have over the long term.  The Internet is plagued with far too many blogs and videos from collectors who have very little experience in long term preservation.

Another suggestion in this thread that I question is laying them flat.  This is only practical if no weight is ever stacked on top of the book.  Nothing will cause a curl in the spine faster than weight being stacked on top.  And even then you have to consider how you are going to protect them from dust.

I am curious to know what caused the compression you mentioned at the bottom of the spine.  I have never encountered that and it seems like it would have to be due to some localized type of pressure.

My collection started almost 60 years ago, long before bags, boards, slabbing, and even long boxes were invented.  Most of my books are still in 9.+ condition with only very slight yellowing.  I have learned over the years that most of the damage that occurs is self inflicted or from the environment, i.e. storing them where there is to much heat, humidity or pests or other forms of carelessness.  Not to say an acid free backing board and a Mylite to keep the board flat against the comic is a bad idea to prevent bending.  But all of that expense and effort can be wasted in a room that is too hot.  To quote the great Walt Kelly's Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

At the bottom of this page is an article that discusses what really damages comics long term and is often overlooked by collectors:

www.CollectionDrawer.com

Rich

Bags, boards, comic boxes.  

I swap them out every few years. 

It is more than what Edgar Church did and by the time it even matters, no one will care or I will be long dead. 

Edited by Buzzetta

6 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

giphy.gif

Oh, @thehumantorch is a super nice fellow with gobs of great,friendly info.My oldest chum here.

Ugh, now I'm feeling old...