• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell us what you really think, Marnin!

152 posts in this topic

That aside, however, I still think Marnin has a right to grade his books however he thinks appropriate as long as he believes he is grading fairly, and can price his books at whatever he thinks appropriate, whether fairly priced or not.

Of course he does, and I have no dispute with that whatsoever. In fact, I think Marnin is one of the more reliable graders out there. However, as long as he prices his raw books at CGC prices, I won't be one of the buyers because I am not willing to bear the risk that the book won't get the same grade from CGC. His response would undoubtedly be that I don't need to get it slabbed in the first place, at which point I can now point him to my post above rather than have to provide a lengthy explanation. grin.gif

That aside, however, I still think Marnin has a right to grade his books however he thinks appropriate as long as he believes he is grading fairly, and can price his books at whatever he thinks appropriate, whether fairly priced or not.

Of course he does, and I have no dispute with that whatsoever. In fact, I think Marnin is one of the more reliable graders out there. However, as long as he prices his raw books at CGC prices, I won't be one of the buyers because I am not willing to bear the risk that the book won't get the same grade from CGC. His response would undoubtedly be that I don't need to get it slabbed in the first place, at which point I can now point him to my post above rather than have to provide a lengthy explanation. grin.gif

headbang.gif

So I'll throw out this question to the gallery.......

Is it possible for a dealer of high grade and/or pedigree books to survive these days without having to buy into the CGC paradigm?

And if so, what would he have to do to maximize profits and compete with dealers who were slab-happy? What would he have to do to attract your business and keep it?

headbang.gif

We're agreeing so much today. This is freakin' me out, man! insane.gif

Bob, it all depends whether liquidity of your purchase is important.

That's also a good point I meant to bring up. Most of us, do want liquidity. Even if it is because we want to Upgrade or Downgrade, CGC provides that. thumbsup2.gif

So I'll throw out this question to the gallery.......

Is it possible for a dealer of high grade and/or pedigree books to survive these days without having to buy into the CGC paradigm?

And if so, what would he have to do to maximize profits and compete with dealers who were slab-happy? What would he have to do to attract your business and keep it?

Do you mean not sell CGC books at all? Sure it is. I'm thinking of one (in)famous dealer in particular. 27_laughing.gif

headbang.gif

We're agreeing so much today. This is freakin' me out, man! insane.gif

Thank Brad. If not for him, I'd be treating you with contempt and steamrolling your arguments! yay.gif

Be my guest. Flatten 'em! devil.gif

I'm going to bed. Tired. Just finished a (get this, Scott) a Charles Atlas parody for MacAddict magazine! You were just mentioning one you saw in Fortune.

Be my guest. Flatten 'em! devil.gif

I'm going to bed. Tired. Just finished a (get this, Scott) a Charles Atlas parody for MacAddict magazine! You were just mentioning one you saw in Fortune.

Sweet! Can you post a pic (or PM it to me for confidential viewing if you're not allowed to post)? I dig Charles Atlas parodies! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Speaking of Charles Atlas ads, the book "Men of Tomorrow" that so many forumites are reading these days has a really interesting discussion about the history of Charles Atlas ads in comics (among 40 million other topics). It's a great read! I got a "used" (but looks brand new) remainder copy from Amazon for a buck, plus shipping! 893whatthe.gif

Thank Brad. If not for him, I'd be treating you with contempt and steamrolling your arguments! yay.gif

27_laughing.gif Who knew that Marnin would be responsible for ringing in an era of peace, love and understanding to the Boards?

27_laughing.gif Who knew that Marnin would be responsible for ringing in an era of peace, love and understanding to the Boards?

893whatthe.gifhail.gif