• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what price Fame?!?!?!? (the story of FF # 11)

16 posts in this topic

look what i found on Comiccollectors.com today, after getting their most recent e-mail;

http://www.comiccollectors.net/detail.php?issue_id=5008&return_id=66&page=1

the history around this book's sale is an interesting one.

* i came onboard this site in Dec of 2003.

* by June of 2004, i'd made myself and my collection known and had a number of books graded by CGC.

* was quite shocked and pleased to get a call from scott at CGC telling me that i was going to have to pay the next tier's grading fee for my FF # 11, as it graded a 9.4. at the time i was blissfully ignorant of the books relative scarcity in NM.

* after mentioning it on the boards sometime around april of 2004 i was contacted by a few folks. one board member immediately offered me approx $4000 (which was 4X's the $1000 2003 OS 9.4 Guide which was still in use). another sent me a note congratulating me on the book saying it was probably worth around $4000 (guessing he figured 4X's guide was about right). another from a land far away, told me to hold tight to the book because it might be worth upwards of 10grand or more depending on page color.

* after discussion with a couple of board members i decided to test the water and got yet another board member to offer approx $7000, then $7500 and finally $8000 for the book.

* i then decided to put it up for sale on Pedigree for approx 7X's the New $1400 (2004) OS 9.2 guide price.

* it sold for the $10,000 asking price before it even got posted and wound up going on the site as sale pending.

* so now ( 14 months later) i have my name up in lights on Comiccollector as the prior owner and the bidding is already up to $13,200, with a list price of $16,000. 893whatthe.gif the book was not resubbed, BTW, as it's still in the holder with my original serial number.

i'm kind of surprised that no other comparable or better copy surfaced during this time. i'm also surprised that the book doesn't look quite as sharp as the 9.4's that emerged out of my recent 100 DC subs. but that just goes to strengthen my paranoia over CGC's grading bias towards Marvels.

good luck to Marnin and the next owner. thumbsup2.gif

what price Fame?? - at least $3200 devil.gif

You are famous! Are you going to send Marnin one of your COA's to include with the book? poke2.gif (Actually, you should! )

Seriously, don't fret about the price differential. You did great! And as long as you didn't put the 10G into Krispie Kreme stock ( tonofbricks.gif ) you came out a winner!

Brad

* so now ( 14 months later) i have my name up in lights on Comiccollector as the prior owner and the bidding is already up to $13,500, with a list price of $16,000.

The price would probably still be at $13,500 even without your name. poke2.gif Seriously, I think the fact that it came from your collection is just bonus to the prospective buyer. FF 11 is not a book that appears often in 9.4, so it`s not surprising that it`s jumped $3500 since your sale.

Because of the pent up demand combined with miniscule supply, early ultra-HG FFs continue to have the best dynamics in the SA Marvel market. Sure, JIMs got all the glory for a while because of the huge jumps in the prices and massive multiples over Guide, but at the end of the day the number of JIM collectors pales compared to FF collectors, and early JIMs seem to be stagnant right now.

Did anyone see that FF#2 CGC 9.4. 893whatthe.gif I don't think I have ever seen a 9.4 before. hail.gif

I saw what might have been a 9.4 at Chicago ComicFest five of so years ago. At $1K, it was out of my price range and being in Chicago it was too far for me to walk home had I decided to sell the car.

As others have said, I wish I had Harry's comic problems. poke2.gif

Did anyone see that FF#2 CGC 9.4. 893whatthe.gif I don't think I have ever seen a 9.4 before. hail.gif

I saw what might have been a 9.4 at Chicago ComicFest five of so years ago. At $1K, it was out of my price range and being in Chicago it was too far for me to walk home had I decided to sell the car.

As others have said, I wish I had Harry's comic problems. poke2.gif

i THINK you all believe me when i say that i'm not complaining - just passing along an interesting little slice of the comic hobby world. i hold no ill feelings towards anyone involved with this book or even my resubbed GL# 16.............i got great prices on both and give most of the credit to what i've learned on these boards over the past 2 years................ thumbsup2.gif

Well, I didn't feel you were complaining......I thought you were kinda' getting a kick out of the whole thing. thumbsup2.gif

That's right. If you see some of your other books pop up on ComicLink, Ebay, etc. please don't hesitate to share it with us. It makes for good reading. thumbsup2.gif

You are famous! Are you going to send Marnin one of your COA's to include with the book? poke2.gif (Actually, you should! )

Seriously, don't fret about the price differential. You did great! And as long as you didn't put the 10G into Krispie Kreme stock ( tonofbricks.gif ) you came out a winner!

Brad

I agree, ya did great...even if the book goes for thousands more, nobody will have the same profit margin on that book that you got (I assume this one was picked up at cover price, yes?). You'll rule them all in terms of multiples earned!

Great story, though. thumbsup2.gif

Harry,

Wow. $10k is nothing to sneeze at, and I love the story behind your books. Then again, a 35% return in 14 months isn't bad either. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I prefer Harry's ROI. $10,000 from a .12 purchase price. Although the time factor sucks.

Harry,

Wow. $10k is nothing to sneeze at, and I love the story behind your books. Then again, a 35% return in 14 months isn't bad either. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I prefer Harry's ROI. $10,000 from a .12 purchase price. Although the time factor sucks.

Yeah, but Harry had to all the hard work of carefully selecting the comic, then taking extreme care when handling, then having the foresight to store it safely away...oh wait a minute. poke2.gif You mean he got lucky that they weren't damaged? 893whatthe.gif Just kidding, Harry. hi.gif

It doesn't matter how they survived all the years, just that they did. As for any Sid's Luncheonette book? takeit.gif