• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage auction, did anybody win anything they were after?

124 posts in this topic

I had to take a major break from this auction due to an investment condo purchase, but I still managed to pick up:

All Star #1 CGC 8.0

More Fun #46 CGC 9.6 Mile High

More Fun #92 CGC 9.4 Mile High

More Fun #119 CGC 9.8 Mile High

More Fun #127 CGC 9.6 Mile High

Man, I wish I could acquire so many gems when I was buying property. hail.gif

screwy.gif

Good morning, Greggy. yeahok.gif

hi.gif

Did you bid on anything, Greg? I've bid on a handful of auctions, but the floor bids could leave me with no winnings. Ebay bidding is always an option, though......

Nope...nothing I really wanted so confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair enough -Heritage's strength isn't generally with BA (although that Swamp Thing 1 price was insane.....)

Even if you exclude all the conspiracy theories, the whole bidding process with Heritage is too convoluted. It favours the floor bidder too heavily, and it takes a good couple of days to know for certain whether you've won an item. If only they didn't get such killer books......

Get a friggin' agent to bid for you then! poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You, perhaps??

I had to take a major break from this auction due to an investment condo purchase, but I still managed to pick up:

All Star #1 CGC 8.0

More Fun #46 CGC 9.6 Mile High

More Fun #92 CGC 9.4 Mile High

More Fun #119 CGC 9.8 Mile High

More Fun #127 CGC 9.6 Mile High

Man, I wish I could acquire so many gems when I was buying property. hail.gif

screwy.gif

Good morning, Greggy. yeahok.gif

hi.gif

Did you bid on anything, Greg? I've bid on a handful of auctions, but the floor bids could leave me with no winnings. Ebay bidding is always an option, though......

Nope...nothing I really wanted so confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair enough -Heritage's strength isn't generally with BA (although that Swamp Thing 1 price was insane.....)

Even if you exclude all the conspiracy theories, the whole bidding process with Heritage is too convoluted. It favours the floor bidder too heavily, and it takes a good couple of days to know for certain whether you've won an item. If only they didn't get such killer books......

Get a friggin' agent to bid for you then! poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You, perhaps??

No...later sucka. hi.gif

I think people here are looking at this from the wrong perspective. If this were Sotheby`s or Christie`s, there`d be nothing BUT the floor auction. So if you view this as a floor auction where the auction house has given people an opportunity to also bid through the internet, then it starts looking like a benefit rather than a disadvantage.

If you can`t attend in person, you can sign up for phone bidding, so in fact you can bid live on the floor. Because of time zone differences, this doesn`t work very well for me, but perhaps better for someone in Europe, and obviously works fine for someone in North America. Or as Greggy has mentioned, you can hire an agent to bid on the floor for you, which is something I`ve done in the past for big ticket items.

Finally, now you can track the floor bidding live through the internet. It`s pretty cool, actually. It`s remarkable how fast they burn through the lots.

Nice pick up Tom, 893applaud-thumb.gif What issues do you need in 9.4 or better? Besides X-men #79 grin.gif BTW, what do you do with your rejects, once you upgrade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks, I am pretty happy. I surprised it did not sell for more. I never get my hopes up for Heritage Auctions until I actually received an invoice.

Unfortunately, most of the issues I need are the low issue numbers. Right now , I need 1-5, 7, 8, 10,11,12,14,15,17,18,28,68,73, 76,79 ( damn 79),84, 91. I just bought a new car so any of the early issues are going to be out the question until I pay the car off. I do not see myself spending 50K + for an issue #1, so I will settle for a 9.0 or 9.2.

I have quite a few raw and graded issues that I will be getting rid of, I would be happy to drop you a PM or you can PM me a want list. I will not be putting them for sale for at least a month, I simply do not have the time right now - I am in the air conditioning business.

Absolutely. I would not have a second thought about purchasing a restored New Fun. Of course, I would prefer an unrestored copy. Are there even any out there above VG or so?

...matter of fact there are.....my new fun 1 and 2 are restored....3 fine-ish, 4 and 5 fine-plusish and my #6 a gorgeous VF/VF- (purchased many moons ago) I can not say enough of the historical importance and significance of #6 (also check out Comic Magazine 1 for a key-got to have- book (my copy is a solid VF+/ VF/NM -paper cover and all----)

also have the neat New Fun Club pin and membership card....These books scream history.....jon

Jon,

Good to see you back in the fray. If you haven't already could you share some pics of these New Fun books in the GA section? I'm not up to speed on the history behind these books but was is the signifigance of issue #6?

These teen-agers from Clevland (named Siegel and Shuster) were trying to break into comics and managed to get a feature in NF 6 "Dr. Occult"--their first feature in comics...They were pushing this idea of "Superman"....the evolution takes the next step in Comic Magazine 1 published by ex-employees of the new fun publisher (who probably paid them with unpublished art and stories)....well in that book is this "Dr. Mystic" guy- basically the same character- who gets a cape and then this emblem thing on his chest (the story continuing back in More Fun 14)...well you get the link by now...So while Comic Mag. 1 is credited with the first Superman "prototype", the "first seed", if you will, is in NF #6. In my opinion easiest the most important of all the New Funs and (despite the common opinion) harder to find than New Fun 2.....

I will try to post over in the GA boards. Its a pain because the books are all oversized.........

Jon

Absolutely. I would not have a second thought about purchasing a restored New Fun. Of course, I would prefer an unrestored copy. Are there even any out there above VG or so?

Sure there are. I have seen a few of each issue over the years. I have a 1 in VG, 3 in FN and 6 that would be a VF, but has a small mouse chew at the bottom right edge. All of mine are unrestored.

I won three auctions, which is two more than I usually win in the Signature auctions:

Venus 12, 13, and 14

While the prices on these went for more than what I would have like to have paid, I couldn't resist having the opportunity to finish my Venus run (the #14) and upgrade a few (#12 and #13). I've been searching for the Venus #14 forever, and when Richie Evans told me at the San Diego con that he was auctioning off his Venus collection, I started counting the days to the end of the auction a week before it started!

Wow that swampthing for 4600 makes me feel better about the Action 70 MH and TEC 109 that I picked up.

Nice pick ups. I thought a lot of the MH books in this auction went for bargain prices. Almost made me wish I collected GA.

Wow that swampthing for 4600 makes me feel better about the Action 70 MH and TEC 109 that I picked up.

I was going to bid on those, but I left that 20K in my other pants.

Seriously, though, two golden age 9.8s. Can't get much better than that. I've always really like the 'tec 109 cover. Great rendering of the Joker.

Congrats!

I picked up a few books in the auction. I bought the:

Marvel Mystery 7 (restored 9.0)

Sub 16 VF

Sub 17 VF/NM

I like the Heritage auctions. I understand that the consignor can bid for their books but the process is very understandable to me. My only job is to determine the maximum I am willing to pay for a book and maintain my discipline. If I lose the book then a buyer wanted the book more than I did. I know the result instantaneously if I am on the phone bidding. All I ask is that a seller give me a price and I will accept or pass. That's MY preffered way to buy.

Does anyone have an overview on the auction? Were final prices higher/ lower

than estimated? Is the smart money buying/ selling? Any trends apparant?

Thanks

I got one of the Slam Bang #3's that they had. I've been looking for this for a while and they had two copies back-to-back (a 7.0 with slight restoration and a 5.0 with no restoration). Since I was only going to bid through the internet, I bid on the restored one as I figured I had a better chance on winning it. Not an expensive book, but darn hard to find.

It's the issue with the weird bat creature on the cover. I wanted it because I own the original art to the spash page for that story. (Jon, I noticed you have one of the other pages to that story.)

Hi Dave, you will really like those two books. I owned them for about 10 years. Those two specific MH's have so much gloss on them they look like they would "glow-in-the-dark", congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

I got one of the Slam Bang #3's that they had. I've been looking for this for a while and they had two copies back-to-back (a 7.0 with slight restoration and a 5.0 with no restoration). Since I was only going to bid through the internet, I bid on the restored one as I figured I had a better chance on winning it. Not an expensive book, but darn hard to find.

It's the issue with the weird bat creature on the cover. I wanted it because I own the original art to the spash page for that story. (Jon, I noticed you have one of the other pages to that story.)

yup i do which is also the reason I got that issue..This is what makes the Golden Age 'golden'...jon

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=41518&GSub=5092&GCat=0&UCat=0