• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seemingly legit Ebay store sold and then relisted items using same pictures.
1 1

129 posts in this topic

What do you guys make of this?  So a seemingly reputable store had a lot of reasonably limited 9.8 graded stuff up (like 20-100 "graded at" on the census).  I bid on and/or bought several items.  He did deliver.  Later I did a search for one of the ones I didn't win and noticed it was back up.  Looked pretty familiar, so I compared it to the one I bid on, and lost, and sure enough it's the same picture and CGC number.  Then I searched and found several other relisted items that he had put back up--identical CGC numbers.  Now I guess you could think well maybe the buyer backed out or something, but: one of the items he has relisted is sitting right here in my hand--same CGC number.

I guess the least sinister explanation is that he actually has multiples of each item and just did a bunch of relists and it automatically used the same pictures?  I don't sell on Ebay so I have no idea how that works.  But even if that's true, the ones that are up right now for bid are not the actual ones that the people will be getting when they win.  That's an issue, isn't it?

Not sure what board policy is but I'm pretty curious about what is going on here.  Can message out some links if anyone is interested.

Edited by Poekaymon

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

I guess the least sinister explanation is that he actually has multiples of each item and just did a bunch of relists and it automatically used the same pictures?

That's generally the case. Or they're just too lazy to change the picture or they don't think it matters.

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

But even if that's true, the ones that are up right now for bid are not the actual ones that the people will be getting when they win.  That's an issue, isn't it?

It does open the seller to potential problems if the books don't look identical in the ways that matter to the buyers.

1 minute ago, BaronSamedi said:

So they have multiple copies of the same book, but only use one image?

Lol, that is complete laziness, imo!

Yes.

I've mainly seen it happen with "pre-orders". A guy will send in 100 Batman Damned #1s and know he's gonna get a boatload of 9.8s, he has an image of a CGC'd 9.8, and just churns them out.

Otherwise, I have bought SS books before, and then the seller throws the same image back up. First time, I was really concerned with its authenticity, but everything was copacetic.

I don't like the laziness, but I haven't been screwed (yet).

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't like the laziness, but I haven't been screwed (yet).

Thankfully!

That would be the first thing I would worry about if the book went back up a couple of days after purchasing.

I would be satisfied though if I got the same book with another serial number., I can see how taking pics of hundred of the same book could be time consuming.

6 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

Thankfully!

That would be the first thing I would worry about if the book went back up a couple of days after purchasing.

I would be satisfied though if I got the same book with another serial number., I can see how taking pics of hundred of the same book could be time consuming.

Preorders or common books would be one thing, but the ones I am talking about are in the $5-700 range and don't have hundreds of 9.8s in existence.  I think "laziness" is a bit too gentle of an explanation (even if accurate) for what is actually fraud.

Anyway, I'm debating putting in a bid on the one I missed last time which I'm guessing will arrive as a similar 9.8 with a different number.  But as I am of the opinion that not all 9.8s are equal, if I bought one that in any way negatively deviated from the pic, then I'd be putting in a claim. Not sure if worth it.

15 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Preorders or common books would be one thing, but the ones I am talking about are in the $5-700 range and don't have hundreds of 9.8s in existence.  I think "laziness" is a bit too gentle of an explanation (even if accurate) for what is actually fraud.

Anyway, I'm debating putting in a bid on the one I missed last time which I'm guessing will arrive as a similar 9.8 with a different number.  But as I am of the opinion that not all 9.8s are equal, if I bought one that in any way negatively deviated from the pic, then I'd be putting in a claim. Not sure if worth it.

As I mentioned, though, I experienced the same thing with an SS book. Not a Batman Damned (which was my other example).

It happens, and I haven't been screwed (yet). It's possible that they uploaded the duplicate image by accident. I didn't even think of that until right now. I do prefer sellers that pay attention to the details, but, as long as you're getting what you pay for...

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, I've seen/experienced this before, too. They just use the same image. Laziness, I guess.

As someone who scanned the books that went up on e-bay at my store, I can get it. I never had to think of doing that since what I sold was raw books, but I can see someone thinking there's nothing wrong with it. Especially when scanning does take time and you'd have to do multiple listings for the same comic and increase the chances of a mistake if the comic you post doesnt correspond to the number in the description. Instead you could show the pic and say how many you have of that comic in 9.8. So someone can buy many at once. In the end, while a bit lazy, I don't see how this changes much if the grade/comic/pages are the same. You can't really open a case against it since you got what the description said. Though the ideal thing if someone used a stock image is to disclose as such in the description.

The problem is there are plenty of 9.8s floating around that are 9.8s in name only due to shipping issues or whatever. And even when two books are legitimate 9.8 there are variations. If simply saying 9.8/white was enough, no one would ever need to post a pic—they could just type the CGC number and call it a day.  Pretty sure that wouldn’t fly when combined with a no return policy. Only reason I am considering it here is that it seems to be a reputable shop, though they really don’t post enough books each week to justify the laziness imo. 

33 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

The problem is there are plenty of 9.8s floating around that are 9.8s in name only due to shipping issues or whatever. And even when two books are legitimate 9.8 there are variations. If simply saying 9.8/white was enough, no one would ever need to post a pic—they could just type the CGC number and call it a day.  Pretty sure that wouldn’t fly when combined with a no return policy. Only reason I am considering it here is that it seems to be a reputable shop, though they really don’t post enough books each week to justify the laziness imo. 

I would contact the seller chances are they might have uploaded the incorrect image.

18 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

It isn't actually fraud.

It becomes fraud if the serial number isn't legit, its a fake book, seller takes buyers money and doesn't send product.

Granted it is misleading insofar that your getting a different book then the one pictured, but put it this way "You want 9.8 Thor 337 and you did and win on the product pictured, but when your product comes in and it is a 9.8 Thor 337 with a different CGC serial number, rather then panic you go to a reputable grading site to determine it's legitamacy, and it turns out it is exactly what you got" are you offended?

Edited by BaronSamedi

42 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

It isn't actually fraud.

It becomes fraud if the serial number isn't legit, its a fake book, seller takes buyers money and doesn't send product.

Granted it is misleading insofar that your getting a different book then the one pictured, but put it this way "You want 9.8 Thor 337 and you did and win on the product pictured, but when your product comes in and it is a 9.8 Thor 337 with a different CGC serial number, rather then panic you go to a reputable grading site to determine it's legitamacy, and it turns out it is exactly what you got" are you offended?

It is because it is not the item being offered.  If there was no picture or CGC number posted, like with a preorder or something that was clearly a stock photo, then that would be different.  Then you're getting exactly what was offered--a 9.8 Thor 337 with no defining characteristics.  But if the auction has detailed photographs, of a book that exists, out in the world, with a specific CGC number and the specific variations that exist across 9.8s of the same book, and you buy it based on that picture, then you should be getting what is pictured. 

I have a 9.8 right here that got severely shaken and the cover is practically falling off.  Staples almost out.  Like half an inch of first page showing under the cover.  I have hundreds of 9.8s and this is by far the worst--uglier than most 9.6s.  Absolutely no one would be happy receiving this book, but it's in a 9.8 slab.  If I made an auction using a photo of someone else's 9.8 copy of the same book, that was visually flawless, and then sent the winner my damaged book, there is not one person on this board that would be happy receiving it.  

Edited by Poekaymon

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

It is because it is not the item being offered.  If there was no picture or CGC number posted, that would be one thing.  Then you're getting exactly what was offered--a 9.8 Thor 337 with no defining characteristics.  But if it's a picture, of a book that exists, out in the world, with a specific CGC number and the specific variations that exist in 9.8s, and you buy it based on that picture, then you should be getting what is pictured. 

I have a 9.8 right here that got severely shaken and the cover is practically falling off.  Staples almost out.  Like half an inch of first page showing under the cover.  I have hundreds of 9.8s and this is by far the worst--uglier than most 9.6s.  Absolutely no one would be happy receiving this book, but it's in a 9.8 slab.  If I made an auction using a picture of  picture of someone else's 9.8 copy of the same book, that was visually flawless, and then sent the winner my book, there is not one person on this board that would be happy receiving it.  

Receiving a "9.8" damaged in-transit is not the same as fraud.

I have to agree with @BaronSamedi here. It's not fraud. 1 9.8 should be unrecognizable from another 9.8 (extreme circumstances, like centering, notwithstanding).

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Receiving a "9.8" damaged in-transit is not the same as fraud.

I have to agree with @BaronSamedi here. It's not fraud. 1 9.8 should be unrecognizable from another 9.8 (extreme circumstances, like centering, notwithstanding).

That wasn't what I was saying at all.  Receiving a 9.8 which was damaged in transit is not fraud--I agree.

3 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Advertising an undamaged copy, that has been assigned a specific identifying number, and which you do not own, and then sending a different book which has been previously damaged.

That's assuming intentional fraud, though, which "reputable" sellers wouldn't venture into. Not the same thing.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's assuming intentional fraud, though, which "reputable" sellers wouldn't venture into. Not the same thing.

Well now you are assuming reputable.  I did start out saying "seemingly reputable."

Anyway, I wasn't calling the cops on him.  I specifically said that I was still considering bidding on it.  My only point was it is cause for concern and if nothing else, may make someone wonder.  Probably better to just post an actual pic or say that you're using a stock photo, imo.