• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seemingly legit Ebay store sold and then relisted items using same pictures.
1 1

129 posts in this topic

Just now, kav said:

That's another belief.  I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.  What you believe becomes real.  I have learned to use my beliefs.  You are being used by yours, to the extent they have tricked you into thinking you dont even have them, and thus are powerless under their control.

I didn't know it was possible to be so wrong, but dammit, you did it kav.

You're simply wrong. Can't you just man-up to it? I lack beliefs. This is a fact. You can accept it, gracefully, and move on - or stew in a soup of misinformation and self-disillusioned perception that you're conveying right now. Your choice.

46 minutes ago, kav said:

See how this was a belief?

My belief is that when I get what I want from an Ebay seller, I'm good, I'm not sweating it even if it's not what was pictured

When I got the forever people 9.0 I was like...

giphy-6.gif

Edited by Hollywood1892

9 minutes ago, kav said:

It is 100% impossible to be happy all the time, you gotta appreciate the small stuff so if you get a different pictured book but it's the same grade and value, be happy!

Good point

Edited by Hollywood1892

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're simply wrong. Can't you just man-up to it? I lack beliefs. This is a fact. You can accept it, gracefully, and move on - or stew in a soup of misinformation and self-disillusioned perception that you're conveying right now. Your choice.

Some people cannot admit to being wrong. Even Einstein was wrong an average of 12 times a day. Some just cannot admit to this though.

(shrug)

-slym

On 1/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Poekaymon said:

What do you guys make of this?  So a seemingly reputable store had a lot of reasonably limited 9.8 graded stuff up (like 20-100 "graded at" on the census).  I bid on and/or bought several items.  He did deliver.  Later I did a search for one of the ones I didn't win and noticed it was back up.  Looked pretty familiar, so I compared it to the one I bid on, and lost, and sure enough it's the same picture and CGC number.  Then I searched and found several other relisted items that he had put back up--identical CGC numbers.  Now I guess you could think well maybe the buyer backed out or something, but: one of the items he has relisted is sitting right here in my hand--same CGC number.

I guess the least sinister explanation is that he actually has multiples of each item and just did a bunch of relists and it automatically used the same pictures?  I don't sell on Ebay so I have no idea how that works.  But even if that's true, the ones that are up right now for bid are not the actual ones that the people will be getting when they win.  That's an issue, isn't it?

Not sure what board policy is but I'm pretty curious about what is going on here.  Can message out some links if anyone is interested.

So this thread got derailed big time...time to get back on track.  As a CGC dealer myself, when we do a book, we RARELY do just one copy. We have done 20+ of some books. So lets say that we have 5 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #14 JSC cover A (which we did). We put a listing up showing 5 copies. We don't do 5 individual listings with 5 pictures of 5 different books. So easy enough...buyer knows we have 5 copies. We clearly state in the details of every listing that we normally have multiple items and that the certification number can be different and that signature color and/or placement may be different in the case of Signature Series books. Hell...this original post might be about some of our items. So here's some things to think about.

When we have a listing with multiple items and the first book sells, we don't pull that individual book and then change the picture. Hell sometimes 5 copies sell in 24 hours...it's logistically impossible to do that.

As for auctions, when you have 5 book that are buy it now and you decide to throw one up on auction, ebay makes a duplicate listing just in auction form, removes one from your buy-it-now listing, and now you have two listings with the same picture. The following week we might send another to auction...that's a third listing with the same image. Sometimes if we get 5 copies of a book (like we just did with Uncanny X-Men #1 campbell variants, we don't list them as a buy-it now at all. We do an auction that starts today. We click on "sell a similar item" and make another posting that starts next Sunday, then do that two more times till we have 4 listings. All the exact same with the same picture.

When dealing with modern 9.8s there is no need to do multiple listings showing each individual book in my opinion. To say that a 9.8 isn't a 9.8 or that some 9.8s look better than another, that's fine but I dont agree to that. As a dealer, I don't have time for that and I may lose a sale as that person may decide to deal with someone else that only has one copy and it's the exact book. I have to weigh the time I put into something like that and determine if it's worth it or not...and for modern 9.8s I don't think it is. When dealing with older books or lower graded books I get it. I do think some 6.0s look better than other 6.0s but I don't think the difference between two 9.8s makes a difference.  That's just my opinion of course and to each their own.

As for getting a book back that looks like it is damaged in shipping with the cover almost coming off...that's either A) a shipping damage issue and no problem, send it back or B) an unethical seller. Personally I believe it's much more likely option A. Especially if the seller has a bunch of listings that are duplicates (unless they have LOTS of damages and are trying to pawn them off but I thinks thats HIGHLY unlikely).

So all that being said...if you don't like a dealer that sells multiple copies of a book, don't buy from that dealer. But that's like going to Target.com and buying a t-shirt (you know you aren't going to get the exact t-shirt in the photo). When dealing with larger comic dealers with multiple copies of books you have to look at it that way.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, I've seen/experienced this before, too. They just use the same image. Laziness, I guess.

I don't think it's laziness as my previous post says. It's simply how much time should be put into multiple copies of the same item. Like I said...Target doesn't list individual pictures for anything they sell. People might say that collectibles are different, but when they are new copies I disagree. Individually hand-painted statues from Sideshow are collectibles...they don't put up multiple listings when they sell their items...that's the way I look at it.

37 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

I don't think it's laziness as my previous post says. It's simply how much time should be put into multiple copies of the same item. Like I said...Target doesn't list individual pictures for anything they sell. People might say that collectibles are different, but when they are new copies I disagree. Individually hand-painted statues from Sideshow are collectibles...they don't put up multiple listings when they sell their items...that's the way I look at it.

With Sideshow and Target or whatever, you're talking about stores that have hundreds or thousands of copies of the same item, which item does not gain or lose value for nearly imperceptible flaws.  And no one expects to get the exact item that had the picture taken--in fact, Sideshow puts right on the pic that it's a prototype, and you don't know the sideshow serial number ahead of time, either. And many of the big stores will put in a single sentence in that says something like 'Actual product not pictured' or the like.  Not remotely a fair analogy, in my opinion.  I can maybe understand in the comic book realm, if you are doing serious volume, and you are willing to issue refunds when your method of not giving them they thought they were buying backfires.  I also don't really care if they are under a hundred bucks or so.  But as I said earlier in this thread, before like 2 pages of nonsense:

1.  This seller is not high volume.  I've looked a few times and he never has more than 40-50 up at once. 

2.  These books are in the $500-1k range

3.  There aren't many of these particular books even out there, so I would be extremely surprised if he has more than 2-3 of each.

Now let's look at "mycomicshop."  At the time of this post, they have 581,390 books up.  And yet, I just looked at a couple of their identical books, and they still managed to get unique scans for each.  I really don't think this is a high bar.  

Look, call it laziness or efficiency or whatever, if you need to use a stock photo or want to reuse photos from your past auctions, and you don't think it matters, fine.  But at least disclose that fact to your customers.  Not hard to put in a single sentence to avoid any confusion.  Not sure how this is a controversial proposition. 

Edited by Poekaymon

2 hours ago, Kevlar said:

So this thread got derailed big time...time to get back on track.  As a CGC dealer myself, when we do a book, we RARELY do just one copy. We have done 20+ of some books. So lets say that we have 5 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #14 JSC cover A (which we did). We put a listing up showing 5 copies. We don't do 5 individual listings with 5 pictures of 5 different books. So easy enough...buyer knows we have 5 copies. We clearly state in the details of every listing that we normally have multiple items and that the certification number can be different and that signature color and/or placement may be different in the case of Signature Series books. Hell...this original post might be about some of our items. So here's some things to think about.

When we have a listing with multiple items and the first book sells, we don't pull that individual book and then change the picture. Hell sometimes 5 copies sell in 24 hours...it's logistically impossible to do that.

As for auctions, when you have 5 book that are buy it now and you decide to throw one up on auction, ebay makes a duplicate listing just in auction form, removes one from your buy-it-now listing, and now you have two listings with the same picture. The following week we might send another to auction...that's a third listing with the same image. Sometimes if we get 5 copies of a book (like we just did with Uncanny X-Men #1 campbell variants, we don't list them as a buy-it now at all. We do an auction that starts today. We click on "sell a similar item" and make another posting that starts next Sunday, then do that two more times till we have 4 listings. All the exact same with the same picture.

When dealing with modern 9.8s there is no need to do multiple listings showing each individual book in my opinion. To say that a 9.8 isn't a 9.8 or that some 9.8s look better than another, that's fine but I dont agree to that. As a dealer, I don't have time for that and I may lose a sale as that person may decide to deal with someone else that only has one copy and it's the exact book. I have to weigh the time I put into something like that and determine if it's worth it or not...and for modern 9.8s I don't think it is. When dealing with older books or lower graded books I get it. I do think some 6.0s look better than other 6.0s but I don't think the difference between two 9.8s makes a difference.  That's just my opinion of course and to each their own.

As for getting a book back that looks like it is damaged in shipping with the cover almost coming off...that's either A) a shipping damage issue and no problem, send it back or B) an unethical seller. Personally I believe it's much more likely option A. Especially if the seller has a bunch of listings that are duplicates (unless they have LOTS of damages and are trying to pawn them off but I thinks thats HIGHLY unlikely).

So all that being said...if you don't like a dealer that sells multiple copies of a book, don't buy from that dealer. But that's like going to Target.com and buying a t-shirt (you know you aren't going to get the exact t-shirt in the photo). When dealing with larger comic dealers with multiple copies of books you have to look at it that way.

This

On 1/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Poekaymon said:

What do you guys make of this?  So a seemingly reputable store had a lot of reasonably limited 9.8 graded stuff up (like 20-100 "graded at" on the census).  I bid on and/or bought several items.  He did deliver.  Later I did a search for one of the ones I didn't win and noticed it was back up.  Looked pretty familiar, so I compared it to the one I bid on, and lost, and sure enough it's the same picture and CGC number.  Then I searched and found several other relisted items that he had put back up--identical CGC numbers.  Now I guess you could think well maybe the buyer backed out or something, but: one of the items he has relisted is sitting right here in my hand--same CGC number.

I guess the least sinister explanation is that he actually has multiples of each item and just did a bunch of relists and it automatically used the same pictures?  I don't sell on Ebay so I have no idea how that works.  But even if that's true, the ones that are up right now for bid are not the actual ones that the people will be getting when they win.  That's an issue, isn't it?

Not sure what board policy is but I'm pretty curious about what is going on here.  Can message out some links if anyone is interested.

I would just message them and ask them about it. Particularly since you have bought from them before and had no issues. Give them the benefit of the doubt... ask for pics/scans of the exact item you will be bidding on.

If something doesn’t feel right after that then just move on.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, slym2none said:

Some people cannot admit to being wrong. Even Einstein was wrong an average of 12 times a day. Some just cannot admit to this though.

(shrug)

-slym

And now the toxicity is seething into other threads. That's mature.

I mean, I think he's an 'okay' guy, but the hypocrisy is flashing warning signs.

16 hours ago, slym2none said:

Some people cannot admit to being wrong.

You got that right.  I myself have posted numerous threads where I admitted I was wrong, many times on the boards.  A certain other member-never.  He even claimed I was wrong that he never admitted he was wrong-

10 minutes ago, kav said:

You got that right.  I myself have posted numerous threads where I admitted I was wrong, many times on the boards.  A certain other member-never.  He even claimed I was wrong that he never admitted he was wrong-

I've read this dozens of times. Please move on from it. If you're using 1 other person's interaction with you to dictate how you have a conversation with me, does that sound fair to you...?

Are you satisfied with being a hypocrite? Honest question - not trying to attack you. Because you wouldn't admit to being wrong during the previous interaction on this thread - when you objectively were.

FTR: I have been wrong, and will be wrong. I've been wrong on these boards and admitted it. So that should have no bearing on how you approach me.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've been wrong on these boards and admitted it.

Show me where, like I have done, many times.  Anyone can 'say' they admit when they are wrong, but show me.

Just now, kav said:

Show me where, like I have done, many times.  Anyone can 'say' they admit when they are wrong, but show me.

Just recently there was a thread where I said, "I don't think anyone likes __________."

Someone proved me wrong by claiming that they liked that thing.

I can't remember the topic, or what it was, but I was wrong. I've been wrong about bigger subjects than that. Probably closer to when I was newer to posting.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just recently there was a thread where I said, "I don't think anyone likes __________."

Someone proved me wrong by claiming that they liked that thing.

I can't remember the topic, or what it was, but I was wrong. I've been wrong about bigger subjects than that. Probably closer to when I was newer to posting.

show me.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

show me.

You want me to "show you" that I was wrong?* Why? Is your problem with people admitting they're wrong or people "proving they admitted they were wrong". They're kinda one and the same, kav.

*When I can't even recall the exact topic, nonetheless. LOL.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Typo.