• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

As promised, Kid Colt Outlaw 218. Pretty unbelievable. And it's not a doctored scan. grin.gif

Honestly.

546938-kco218.JPG

Your lying!!! I will only believe you if you send this book to me to personally inspect! Don't waste your time with anything other than Media Mail -- no need to track it. I'm certian the USPS deliver it safely and it will not simply disappear.

sumo.gif

Just got back from the SD con. Motor City is selling their 35 cent variants now. They had about 25-30 for sale that I saw. Highlights included Scooby Doo 1 CGC 8.5 for $3500 (!!), a 9.6 CGC Eternals (forget exactly which issue) for $500, some VF/NM unslabbed copies including Godzilla 3, all priced pretty high. They sold a VF unslabbed Iron Fist 15 for $350. No westerns that I saw. Even the G books were starting at like $100.... but they have them if you some of you completists have to have them. Some Avengers, Hulks, Master of Kung Fus, Ms. Marvels, etc. Also nice 30 cent X-men variants too (also pricey). I talked to Fred McSurley at the con, super nice guy. He still has a lot of his 35 cent variants and plans to sell some of them soon. I told him that he should come and advertise on these boards when he wants to sell them, so he might do that. Aside from that, nada. Fred had picked up one Master of Kung Fu (marked as a variant by the seller) and neither of us saw any other 35 centers (with the exception of Motor City).

Are both covers 35-cent editions? I'd assume so, but as it's not shown or stated....
Yes both are 35-cent.

ooo.gif Also wandering has anyone noticed that their is a CGC graded Rawhide Kid #140 35 cent variant on the census their is also a CGC 9.0 Kid Colt #220 blush.gif on their does anyone know who has these? If we could get a scan of the Rawhide Kid 140 that would only leave one off of Paul's list left.

I can't wait to see the scans of those two Western Variants do you think it will be soon ooo.gif.

On the subject of 35 cent variant Marvel Western's how rare could they be? I don't know but Marvel must have printed at least a few hundred of each of them if not more and I know that a lot of them probably got returned, by the way what happens to comics that get returned do they get destroyed?, and I am sure a large precentage of them were bought by kids read several times got torn up and eventualy went into the gabarage. Well hear is my point I was a kid back in 1977 and me and all my friends bought and read comics and of all the kids I knew back then none of them ever had a Western comic they all read Super Hero ones that leads me to believe that older readers people who were kids in the 50's and eairler were the ones buying western comics back in 1977, and older readers usualy take very good care of their comics so I am thinking that their must be a lot of these still in nice shape tucked away in personal collection of people who have no ideal what a 35 cent variant is and I think as more people see the prices being paid for them a lot more will be found , Just think two years ago their were probably less than 50% of all the 35 cent variants even know to exist and now we are down to one. confused-smiley-013.gif Well this may be way off base and is just me thinking out loud but I would love to hear what everyone else interested in this subject thinks about this so please feel free to junp in and blast my ideal out of the water.

Hey Terry--

I believe you are correct about prices bringing more out into the open. I also believe the attention is causing board members, their contacts, and dealers to actively search for these books. More variants have been for sale this year than ever.

I was doing some wondering before about variants & got virtually no replies. First I agree these books are hard to find. I also agree that compared with others, these books are rare--some are very rare. But, I still believe this is a very small market. Dismissing the High Grade copies, I wonder if the 35 cent variants will go the same way as the 30 cent variants???? Prices are way down for most of the 30 cent books as the people that want them have aquired them. Some superhero books, which are the most common, tend to attract the non variant collectors into the completionist mode--but not the rare books.

Once again I ask--who wants a midgrade bronze age reprint western variant besides the few of us trying to complete variant runs?

Harry hi.gif

Yes Harry I agree with you totaly 35 centers are headed the same way as the 30 centers. Because their is a lot of them on them on the market right now the prices have drop off a lot just think when was the last time you saw a 35 center sale for $18 that was listed as a 35 center? But in my opion this is a good thing it will bring a lot of collectors to variants that otherwise would have stayed away and when they get a handful in their collections they may start thinking about putting together a set I know that is how I got started I was originaly just looking to complete my ASM's and after I did I found a few more variants in hidden auctions real cheep and it just took off from their. Well when the supply starts to dry up agian, I am thinking about 3 mounths since Earlshaw has so many to sell, their will likely be a few more 35 cent variant collectors than they are now and the price will start to go back up again especialy if ebay gets back down to 3 or 4 35 cent variants a week instead of a dozen or more, but on the other hand if new collectors don't come in to start collecting these the prices are going to hit bottom as the few that do collect them now, which is not a lot of people, will eventualy complete their set I know a few of us are very close now, and just speaking for mysely when I do complete I will not likely buy many more except maybe to upgrade some of my lowergrade ones so without new blood the prices will hit bottom frown.gif. Just my thoughts on the subject and I hope prices don't hit bottom because I have a lot of them and I paid some big money for most of them frown.gif.

Once again I ask--who wants a midgrade bronze age reprint western variant besides the few of us trying to complete variant runs?

Harry to answer your Question in my opion once the variant collectors have the ones they want no one will be willing to pay much for a midgrade bronze age reprint western variant. In fact if all the variant collectors complete and no new blood comes in the more comon super hero's like ASM and Fantastic Four will sell much better than the really rare ones would hate to see that happen. But on the other hand I may be totaly off on how rare these 35 cent marvel Westerns are their may not even be enough to complete the sets of the curent variant collectors I sure would like to hear others thoughts on this confused-smiley-013.gif.

Yes Harry I agree with you totaly 35 centers are headed the same way as the 30 centers. Because their is a lot of them on them on the market right now the prices have drop off a lot just think when was the last time you saw a 35 center sale for $18 that was listed as a 35 center? But in my opion this is a good thing it will bring a lot of collectors to variants that otherwise would have stayed away and when they get a handful in their collections they may start thinking about putting together a set I know that is how I got started I was originaly just looking to complete my ASM's and after I did I found a few more variants in hidden auctions real cheep and it just took off from their. Well when the supply starts to dry up agian, I am thinking about 3 mounths since Earlshaw has so many to sell, their will likely be a few more 35 cent variant collectors than they are now and the price will start to go back up again especialy if ebay gets back down to 3 or 4 35 cent variants a week instead of a dozen or more, but on the other hand if new collectors don't come in to start collecting these the prices are going to hit bottom as the few that do collect them now, which is not a lot of people, will eventualy complete their set I know a few of us are very close now, and just speaking for mysely when I do complete I will not likely buy many more except maybe to upgrade some of my lowergrade ones so without new blood the prices will hit bottom frown.gif. Just my thoughts on the subject and I hope prices don't hit bottom because I have a lot of them and I paid some big money for most of them frown.gif.

Hi Terry, I totally agree with your assessment here. If fact that was exactly my thinking when I made the comittment last month to complete a 30 cent variant set. I saw that prices were lower and that a good number where being offered so I took the plunge. After reading all the threads from variant collectors such as FD, Silver and Bronze, DarthDiesel, Horkorp, Realitytrip, etc I just had to try for the set. Thanks to Realitytrip and Horkorp I will be off to a pretty good start soon.

Some thoughts on 35 centers and the deluge that has hit ebay. It is a great time to get them cheaper than ever before so you see many "variant regulars" popping up now. I had been waiting it out until cosmic, daffy, glenn, bonas and other big $$$ had finished their sets or had gotten a decent enough copy into their hands before even attempting to bid. I've also helped these 4 with 35 centers I had or could locate through others for them. Terry has made some interesting points. Some variant collectors ONLY collect the more familiar superhero ones to complete their runs so they will not be chasing the westerns or rarer 35 centers. like certain board members here (zipper68 and highhawker come to mind) There are much fewer people going for the entire set that what we see out there.

Also there are people like me with a "sickness" tongue.gif that must shoot for high grade all the time even when it is almost impossible to find some of these in high grade (much like Golden Age books?) and end up way overpaying for some of these. For instance, there are 2 top grade 30 centers on eBay right now (seller - Mroczek)...and I sooo was tempted to hit the BINs, even though I have 2 comparable copies right next to me that may grade out at the same or better... I think I need help frown.gif