• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Man, those were the days. I can't even tell you how much fun it was putting the original site together, and how much fun it was hearing from collectors. (it's still up, but is now here, albeit incomplete

I still remember getting a phone call (or was it an email?) from stronguy the day I put the site together back in 1999 telling me I just beat him to it. I actually used it as an opportunity to teach myself html. Little did I dream, it would occupy my life for at least 5 years.

And, man, I'm glad I got out 60 or so .35 cent variants into that set. It's amazing how much time I suddenly had available.

Has anyone updated the rarity/known amount of the issues?

Interesting question--

so I will ask, update it with what? I have not looked at it for a little while, but I would guess there is no real change. A lot of thought and very current stats were used when that was first set up. Since then there has not been any earth shattering amounts of any single issue to warrant a rarity bump.

As a matter of fact, aside from the queenangelica (macs comics) bonanza, there has been very little 35 cent variant activity as of late.

That is true, but I was thinking about any raw issues that might of been CGC since the listing (but the cenus might not be as accurate from cracking and pressing).

Any idea what the FF #183- 35 cent variant in CGC 9.0 is worth? Seems to be listed in GPA as the highest sold but no sales since 2005. Not sure if that means they are not worth selling or rare at this grade- (shrug)

Ed Robertson

In some cases its very hard to even use GPA on these issues because many dont come up for sale but once or twice every few years.

Even a common 35 cent variant still only comes up occasionally. Take a look at Ebay and see. Other then the seller SA mentioned you see many more "hidden" variants then you see listed variants for sale because a majority of collectors will still pass them by and not know what they are.

In some cases its very hard to even use GPA on these issues because many dont come up for sale but once or twice every few years.

Even a common 35 cent variant still only comes up occasionally. Take a look at Ebay and see. Other then the seller SA mentioned you see many more "hidden" variants then you see listed variants for sale because a majority of collectors will still pass them by and not know what they are.

Thanks for the information- I agree with the "hidden variant" comment. It seemed that the OPG and 2007 sales were miles apart so I was hoping to determine if the sale was an anomaly or OPG way off (my vote). (thumbs u

Ed R

Wow! Very interesting reads.

http://stlcomics.com/gallery/35cent/

As someone who up until this week never really understood the big deal about these variants, I now am seeing what it is all about. When you first start collecting you are (usually) going for essentially the story... characters, art, runs ... but ultimately when you collect you are gathering objects and these variants are exciting treasures to find .. truly collectors' items.

Thanks for the article. Cheers to less ignorance in the world!

As someone who up until this week never really understood the big deal about these variants, I now am seeing what it is all about. When you first start collecting you are (usually) going for essentially the story... characters, art, runs ... but ultimately when you collect you are gathering objects and these variants are exciting treasures to find .. truly collectors' items.

Yeah, Harry got me started (thumbs u when I helped him find some variants in his wtb post and he sent me a HTD variant (not the HTD #13 that has been a hot item on here ;) but I wish it was). So I look for the real HG oddball 35-cent ones that show up once in a blue moon and read different forums and blogs on other sites to get info on where I might find them and past sales like Craig's blog at http://bronzeagemarvelvariants.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-comiclink-sales.html that showed me 2 major variants that I missed out on c-link that sold in May. I see Star Wars #1 9.4 is losing steamin sales/value like the other major bronze books like GL#76 9.4, Hero for Hire#1 9.8, Hulk#181 9.8, WBN#32 9.6 and some others did too. Then as some cent price variant sites stated as a "Holy Grail" of variants the Iron Fist #14 that is boarder line key because Sabretooth who first appears in this issue but in 2007 "Wolverine" Vol 3 #55 where Wolverine kills Sabretooth by beheading him with the Muramasa Blade and now DEAD, well I guess key/holy grail or not it did good with it's sale from what Craig's states it sold for on c-clink. doh! I wish I knew of the Star Wars, that is a heck of a deal and I wonder if anyone on here was luck to get that IF#14 because that is a good find if prices on that book never fall like the other bronze have been doing.

no, no....we need MORE ignorance...

At least until I can complete my sets....

:whistle:

Shouldn't Flintstone #1 be the "holy grail" of 35 cent variants since only one is known to be graded and not IF#14? ???hm(shrug)

It is a great book, but it doesn't have the mainstream appeal of the IF or the SW 35 centers. Hanna-Barbera marvels were newsstand only, and they are cartoon books, so a lot of people have considered them second class citizens.

(tsk) Only I can rule the Registry. :sumo: King of the best complete sets. Now who will be the first to give their King a Flintstone #1 35 cent variant in 7.5 grade. :taptaptap:

:grin: No Flintstones #1 variant for you King but I will let you see mine. :baiting:

it might grade a 7.5 :cloud9:

flintstones1.jpg

(worship)(worship)

(tsk) Only I can rule the Registry. :sumo: King of the best complete sets. Now who will be the first to give their King a Flintstone #1 35 cent variant in 7.5 grade. :taptaptap:

:grin: No Flintstones #1 variant for you King but I will let you see mine. :baiting:

it might grade a 7.5 :cloud9:

flintstones1.jpg

^^:takeit: come-on :baiting::sorry: oh well.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what is a good price for a HTD #13 CGC 9.4 (Highest Graded) or what would one go for?

Best answer to this would be is let all of us know when you have on an aution site like ebay or c-link and let the :slapfight: begin or put it on here for a price that you want for it and we PM a buy for that price or best offer. (thumbs u