• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

The ones I sent you were probably from all over but here are some records:

ASM 171 GD - Lawrenceburg, TN

Black Panther 5, Human Fly 2 and 4 other overgraded variants from a terrible seller in Fort Plain, NY

CGC 8.5 Iron Man 100 was from Donut

Daredevil 135 variant from Virgina Beach, VA

Iron Fist 15 from Moore, OK

Star Wars 1 variant from Canada

Nova 13 from Peoria, AZ

Tomb of Dracula 58 from Waverly, TN (remember this lady wink.gif ) - one blue strip

on the left side of the top edge

John Carter 2 and 4 (no spray) from Lighthouse

Black Panther 5 VF & John Carter 5 from Motor City - horrible black overspray all along top edge

Nova 13 and PPTSM 8 vars from Canada

MOKF 57 and CGC 9.2 Tarzan 3 from Memphis, TN - black stripe in center of toip edge on both

CGC 9.2 ASM 171 green spray all along the top edge

CGC 9.2 Kull 21 no spray

CGC 8.0 Howard the Duck 13 from McSurley - red all along the top edge - I'm assuming all the 35'ers from Heritage were his dupes.

CGC 5.5 X-Men 105 - with realitytrip now

John Carter 3 from Heritage with splotches of red ink overspray

Defenders 48 and 50 from Heritage - red spray all along the top edge of both

Eternals 13 from Heritage - red spray all along the top edge

Godzilla 1 from Perrysburg, OH - red spray all along the top edge

DD 146 from Earl Shaw - no spray

Ok, in the interest of helping out fellow variant hounds....

yay.gif

First the slabs, and take these with a grain of salt, as the view of the very top of the book can be tough -

Human Fly 2 cgc 2.5- bought from Darth (he bought from ebay seller from NY) two small blue dots on the left side above the number

Iron Fist 15 cgc 4.0 - bought from Darth (no idea where it came from) no coloring at all

X-men 105 cgc 5.5- bought from Darth (who, I think, bought it from Doug Sulipa at Comicworld) - one small blue dot above the price

Champions 15 cgc 9.0- bought from balinlab on ebay (Sacramento, CA) red spray that covers almost the entire top

Regular books -

ASM 169 F- bought from Mile High Comics part of the (in)famous Dallas Stephens collection - no coloring at all

ASM 173 VG- bought off ebay - seller was from Alabama I think two small blue dots directly above the number

Avengers 164 VG/F- bought off ebay can't remember who though red overspray covering all but the left edge of the top

Captain Marvel 51 F/VF- bought off ebay from finecomics light splotches of blue spray

Captain Marvel 52 VF - bought off ebay from finecomics no coloring at all

John Carter Warlord of Mars 4 VF- bought off ebay from earl shaw - no coloring at all

Kull 23 VG/F - bought off ebay from ...errrr.....mgd5 in Arizona no coloring at all

Marvel Two in One 32 F - bought in Hayward, CA at local show no coloring at all

Master of Kung Fu 57 F - bought from Darth, who bought from Heritage red coloring on all but left edge

Ms. Marvel 6 VG - bought off ebay from guy in Toledo faint red splotches of color on top

Ms. Marvel 7 VG - bought off Heritage faint red splotches of color

Ms. Marvel 8 G/VG - bought off Heritage no coloring at all

Ms. Marvel 9 VG - bought off Heritage faint red coloring across entire top with overspray on top left edge and spine

Ms. Marvel 10 VG - bought off Heritage (though original owner filled in subscription form info - Toledo, OH) red coloring on entire top except right edge

Super-Villian Team Up 14 VG - bought from earl shaw off ebay red coloring on top except right edge

X-Men 106 VG - bought from balinlab off ebay (Sacramento, CA) red coloring on entire top and overspray on top right edge and spine

X-Men 107 VG - bought from seller in Toledo, OH Green coloring in middle of top

Whew! That's all that I have in my possession right now. When my other variants get back from CGC, I will include that info too. Hope it helps you guys! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Carl and Kieth thumbsup2.gif this should help alot I will add the ones that fit into my chart and make a list of all the ones that don't I already have 4 that won't fit my chart when I go through yours their may be more cool.gif.

I just have one fear if two or more of the test markets did not mark their comics like Wilmington this chart will be for nothing frown.gif but it may still tell us where all the marked ones did come from 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If anyone has any info that will help please feel free to post it or PM. me I would love to hear any thoughts on this thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif hear is my first draft of the chart I am working on if anyone is interested, I have only put the ones that I am fairly sure of on their and it still has way to many holes in it. I also plan to arange it in different ways to see if I can figure out how they were marked, like by color from each area for each month, this should tell us which books were released the same weeks in each month in each area. I did find four variants that had the whole top sprayed but diden't match the Toledo comics so a 5th area must have sprayed their comics also. I also have a list of about 60 that I was not sure of and did not add them to the list and of those 24 of them had no marks at all 893scratchchin-thumb.gif so if anyone wants to check it out it is attached. sorry for the small size I had a time getting it to fit on hear. thumbsup2.gif

621329-chart4.jpg.278586c7d80531c8302eee8dff2b3a7a.jpg

Question for the Marvel Whitman direct issues:

Any reason why this november 1977 issue is the only one at 30 cents, while the newstand is 35 cents? all other Nov 77 whitman marvels are at 35 cents?

074d.jpg

It is just odd, and I've always chalked it up to an idosyncracy simlar to Kazar 16 and Inhumans 5 just having only 30 cent covers in the middle of a 25 cent cover price span? All MGC 74 whitmans I 've seen or had/have have a 30 cent price in the diamond logo. Maybe someone on here would know? Or I can go ask gifflefunk too?

Great Job Terry... I don't know how I missed this find before. Take a bow as you have found the last remaining 35 cent variant to be discovered. Does Paul know so that he can update his site? Hmmm, it only took about 27 years to find out that all the variants exist! This is definitely a cause for celebration. yay.gif

thumbsup2.gifAt Last !

632582-rko.jpg

:bump:

I love this thread. Re-reading it makes me smile at the fun we had as the set came to light.

I remember thinking that I was not going to get caught up in all this 35 cent variant mess. :o

those were the days.

Thanks for the bump, FD (worship)

I hate you all for driving up the prices on these and thereby making them infamous and unattainable.

:cloud9:

Now, hush up about them for a couple of years, so they can once more make their ways into dealer stock, and I can get that heart stopping thrill when I stumble across one...or many...in random back issue bins.

(thumbs u

I made more comic collecting buddies chasing these books then any other time in my comic book collecting career. Hit a set of 30 30 cent variants twice was awesome. I need to spend more time on STL again.

Selling my X-men 105 variant years ago thinking heck all find another copy soon was not. :tonofbricks: (It only took like 3 more years to find another copy.)

Hookorp, Cosmic, and Metarog were great teachers. I still have my laminated list I take with me to every shop I visit.