• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, tth2 said:

Because of the dust shadows?  How is a 7.5 a gift grade because of the dust shadows?  Structurally, it doesn't look worse than a 7.5. I've seen 9.6 books with dust shadows like that.

It's purely a Comiclink issue, because a simple back scan would've clearly shown a cosmetic (not structural) defect like dust shadows that people don't need CGC to judge for them.  Each individual buyer looking at the scan, if one existed, would be able to use their independent judgment whether they can live with such dust shadows or not.

This is the bare minimum for what any auction company should do! 

It's like saying I always stay in a particular hotel chain because there's always a bed in the room.  :baiting:

I'd like to see the inside of that back cover to see if that tanning or"Dust Shadow" is present there as well.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:18 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

For the more common books, it'll depend on what the economy does over the next couple of years.

For the scarcer books, a handful of collectors competing for the same books can have a significant impact on prices. Those are the ones that are impossible to predict. They can go down quickly (like Mystery Tales did 6 or 7 years ago when one major collector died), but that doesn't mean that they will.

Ok, because it just seems like pre-code horror/crime are doing well in general. Just solid buys. Obviously rarity plays a massive role there, and like anything L.B. Cole is soo sought after.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some horror books have gone up and down. Farrell and Superior were pretty hot for a few years, but a while back I noticed quite a few sales that were definitely down from the highs. I haven't really been keeping track, so they could be back up again for all I know. Atlas horror has been pretty anemic for a while—maybe because many of those covers are a little tame compared to some of the second-tier publishers?

I picked up one of my favorite L. B. Cole books about 10 years ago. It had always been a popular cover, but it isn't rare, and that kept the price reasonable. I don't know what it would sell for now; I'm just glad I bought a copy when I did (and it came with the ultra-sought after CVA sticker). There are other Cole books that I like, but I don't think there are any that I like enough to pay current prices. I don't think the L. B. Cole books will stay hot forever. A few of the best ones might, but many of his covers are just O.K. He did a boatload of covers, and not every one is a masterpiece.

0703201359541.jpg

Well and it deserves that elusive CVA sticker because it’s a gorgeous copy! ‘Me personally I’m not a massive fan of the Catman stuff, more into Mask and Blue Bolt, Thrilling Crime Cases, but that’s certainly a cool cover 👌

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok, because it just seems like pre-code horror/crime are doing well in general. Just solid buys. Obviously rarity plays a massive role there, and like anything L.B. Cole is soo sought after.

Mystery Tales is an unusual case - one collector would be literally buy 'every' copy available so when he stopped buying there was an adjustment....for a while they were too expensive

On 8/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, batman_fan said:

For books I bid on, I usually see the pop at the very end with many items going up 3x or more in the last 10 minutes 

I mean that's what I'm praying, because as of now I ain't doing too hot haha

On 8/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, batman_fan said:

One book I am watch is at $2k, ends tonight.  I expect it to bump up to $5k to $6k at the close today.  I will let folks know if I get it for a bargain but I’m not holding my breath.

This is a very likely scenario. Though i have snagged a few with a bid holding in the final minutes till the clock ran out. 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, batman_fan said:

One book I am watch is at $2k, ends tonight.  I expect it to bump up to $5k to $6k at the close today.  I will let folks know if I get it for a bargain but I’m not holding my breath.

Sending Positive Vibes

On 8/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 8/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, batman_fan said:

For books I bid on, I usually see the pop at the very end with many items going up 3x or more in the last 10 minutes 

I mean that's what I'm praying, because as of now I ain't doing too hot haha

Yes, with the CL auction format and the customer base that bids there, the real action doesn't tend to start until the fat lady gets off her big duff to sing.  :taptaptap:  lol

On 8/29/2022 at 2:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, with the CL auction format and the customer base that bids there, the real action doesn't tend to start until the fat lady gets off her big duff to sing.  :taptaptap:  lol

I would like the fat lady to start singing sooner if possible haha.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Goodluck on those (thumbsu. And I agree, the tail end of the auction definitely feels like time goes backward more or less haha.

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...(:

On 8/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I'm curious what the Black Knight 1 is going to sell for. I haven't followed sales on that in the past.

The last CGC 7.0 sold for $12,000.00 back in July 2020.  That book has the most bids on it with 50, and is currently sitting at $10,750.00 with 2 hours and 56 minutes to go. 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, Forbush-Man said:

The last CGC 7.0 sold for $12,000.00 back in July 2020.  That book has the most bids on it with 50, and is currently sitting at $10,750.00 with 2 hours and 56 minutes to go. 

Hmm interesting, well will look forward to seeing how that finishes.