• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,721 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

That's why I love my Strange Adventures #2. Not a single color break on the spine, or anywhere really. I honestly thought I had a 9.2 or 9.4 coming back for the single highest graded when I initially sent it in. There's two other 9.0's, and I've only seen one of them, the Bethlehem Pedigree copy, but mine blows it out of the water.

Unknown.jpeg

That is a beautiful example, cool book! 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah, that presents really well for the grade. Spine is beautiful!

From the Grader Notes for this copy of Combat 1, I guess this is why it received only a CGC grade of VF 8.0:  :gossip:

Grader Notes
crease bottom of spine through book breaks color
light staple rust
transfer stain back cover
I guess this is when a back cover scan would have helped to see how bad the transfer stain is, but being CL, all you get is nada.  :frustrated:  :censored:

On 8/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, lou_fine said:

From the Grader Notes for this copy of Combat 1, I guess this is why it received only a CGC grade of VF 8.0:  :gossip:

Grader Notes
crease bottom of spine through book breaks color
light staple rust
transfer stain back cover
I guess this is when a back cover scan would have helped to see how bad the transfer stain is, but being CL, all you get is nada.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Yes, the beauty of grader notes indeed lol

On 8/22/2022 at 11:38 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

How are your books doing? Any surprise performers thus far?

Mine are kind of blah, but still over a week left. 

Everything seems to be going along just fine at this point.  Most all the books are showing interest (as they should). It's always hard to predict anything this far out; my books close in the next 6-10 days.  

I wish you much luck with your books. 

On 8/23/2022 at 6:31 AM, Forbush-Man said:

Everything seems to be going along just fine at this point.  Most all the books are showing interest (as they should). It's always hard to predict anything this far out; my books close in the next 6-10 days.  

I wish you much luck with your books. 

Yeah makes sense. Most of the main action does tend to occur in the last minutes really.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:13 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah makes sense. Most of the main action does tend to occur in the last minutes seconds really.

FTFY  :gossip:

And exactly the reason why I don't tend to participate in CL auctions as I absolutely hate their auction format because if you really want to win a particular lot, it requires you to throw in a blind bid at the end because you simply don't know what the other competing and sometimes crazy bidders with their sniping programs are doing at the end.  :frustrated:  :censored:

I much prefer the Heritage or even better yet the CC auction format, whereby you are given time (i.e. 3 minutes in CC's case :)) to think about the next bid increment and if you really want to hit that bid button or not.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/23/2022 at 7:51 AM, lou_fine said:

FTFY  :gossip:

And exactly the reason why I don't tend to participate in CL auctions as I absolutely hate their auction format because if you really want to win a particular lot, it requires you to throw in a blind bid at the end because you simply don't know what the other competing and sometimes crazy bidders are doing at the end.  :frustrated:  :censored:

I much prefer the Heritage or even better yet the CC auction format, whereby you are given time (i.e. 3 minutes in CC's case :)) to think about the next bid increment and if you really want to hit that bid button or not.  (thumbsu

No I get that. I've sold on CC before, haven't done Heritage yet because the BP just annoys me too much. My results from a seller's perspective for the most part have been solid with C-link over the years. Some unfortunate sales of course like a $5K bath on a low grade Batman #1 lol, but some very solid ones also. From a buyer's perspective, I can understand where their more old school Ebay-style auction for people to snipe at the end can be a bit meh. I'd be lying if I said I haven't gotten some solid deals over the years myself. That applies to CC and Heritage of course too, but no doubt, there's more potential for a bidder to truly get into a bidding war on those as the auction ends. I guess I like CC's method the most if I had to choose.

At this point, it's kinda just I've been using Clink for soo long might as well stick with them lol. And they've always been very solid at paying me on time and getting me advances. The one time I used CC, I had to check in on when my money was going to reach me several times after the month was up. It bothered me a little, but I'd probably use them again.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:40 PM, Black Bat said:

ugh.  drives me crazy that Clink doesn't show the back cover... you learn a ton about a book from the back cover.

True. Graders' notes help, but they're not complete. It's one reason why I won't get very aggressive on anything on CLink. For one thing, CLink seems to be where people will dump books that have back-cover problems.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, sagii said:

I think the reset clocks can have the effect of making you continue to hit the bid button in a fit of FOMO sometimes. I know, i've been there. 

Yep. Especially on HA. You don't have enough time to make a rational decision. That's why you sometimes see books selling for a staggering price on HA and then being sold at a loss a couple of years down the road. I've learned that there's ALWAYS another book, so I can now let books go on HA without the FOMO, but it took me years of overpaying to get there.

I know that people say you can put in proxy bids in advance, but that wouldn't work well for me because I would be at risk of accidentally winning* buying more books than what I could afford. I guess I could put proxy bids in one at a time as the auction progresses.

The three-minute clock on CC gives me enough time to think, so I don't mind that format.

*No one "wins" a book in an auction. The auction houses use the winning/losing binary in order to manipulate people into paying more because everyone would rather be a "winner" than a "loser." Please don't fall for it. The only "winners" are the auction houses themselves (and sometimes the consignors).

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yep. Especially on HA. You don't have enough time to make a rational decision. That's why you sometimes see books selling for a staggering price on HA and then being sold at a loss a couple of years down the road. I've learned that there's ALWAYS another book, so I can now let books go on HA without the FOMO, but it took me years of overpaying to get there.

I know that people say you can put in proxy bids in advance, but that wouldn't work well for me because I would be at risk of accidentally winning* buying more books than what I could afford. I guess I could put proxy bids in one at a time as the auction progresses.

The three-minute clock on CC gives me enough time to think, so I don't mind that format.

*No one "wins" a book in an auction. The auction houses use the winning/losing binary in order to manipulate people into paying more because everyone would rather be a "winner" than a "loser." Please don't fall for it. The only "winners" are the auction houses themselves (and sometimes the consignors).

Absolutely, "..there's ALWAYS another book" ^^

On 8/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, Funnybooks said:
On 8/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, manetteska said:

Consider me ignorant, but is there also no "watch" option at Clink?

not yet..that will come with the upgrade to Windows 95

Ewww; though probably to a lesser extent, I'm sure they are losing some bids by the inability to track/watch a comic one is interested in.

Also, is the HA the only auction house with the ability to view past sales?

On 8/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, manetteska said:

Ewww; though probably to a lesser extent, I'm sure they are losing some bids by the inability to track/watch a comic one is interested in.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/auctionschedule.asp#Past Auction Results

On 8/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, manetteska said:

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filtertype=&search=&save=submit&show_sold_search=1