• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,721 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, manetteska said:

Ewww; though probably to a lesser extent, I'm sure they are losing some bids by the inability to track/watch a comic one is interested in.

Also, is the HA the only auction house with the ability to view past sales?

On 8/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, Funnybooks said:

Those results are not complete; they only show a sample of prior results. Sales regularly disappear from CLink almost immediately after the auctions—at the request of the buyers who want to flip the books, I imagine.

I sometimes see the same books showing up repeatedly in consecutive or nearly-consecutive CLink auctions. Some could be non-paying bidder situations, but you have to wonder how many are shill bidding situations. In some cases the books I noticed sold for strong enough prices the first time that flipping for a quick buck would not have been a plausible explanation for why they would have been re-listed almost immediately.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Those results are not complete; they only show a sample of prior results. Sales regularly disappear from CLink almost immediately after the auctions—at the request of the buyers who want to flip the books, I imagine.

I sometimes see the same books showing up repeatedly in consecutive or nearly-consecutive CLink auctions. Some could be non-paying bidder situations, but you have to wonder how many are shill bidding situations. In some cases the books I noticed sold for strong enough prices the first time that flipping for a quick buck would not have been a plausible explanation for why they would have been re-listed almost immediately.

Are these more frequent in Silver/Bronze/ Modern ages or gold as well?

While I may not notice in cases of Timely's or DC's, I don't see the rarer birds (Fox) coming around a second time once closing on C'Link. 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, sagii said:

Are these more frequent in Silver/Bronze/ Modern ages or gold as well?

While I may not notice in cases of Timely's or DC's, I don't see the rarer birds (Fox) coming around a second time once closing on C'Link. 

The ones I noticed were all high-grade GA. I don't look at anything other than GA, so I wouldn't notice anything about the other eras one way or the other. And I haven't been paying as much attention lately, so I don't know whether it's still going on as often. I saw it so much in 2013 that I got fed up and basically stopped buying on CLink for quite a while. (I still put in low-ball bids, but I didn't want to be very aggressive with the possibility that shill bidding was being tolerated.) In one specific case I know of a book from Worldwide's inventory that was listed on CLink's site and that I believe was shilled. I e-mailed Josh Nathanson about it, and he said that he would look into it and get back with me after he got back from vacation. That was 9 1/2 years ago and I still haven't heard back, so I guess he's taking one loooooong vacation.

On 8/24/2022 at 4:34 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

True. Graders' notes help, but they're not complete. It's one reason why I won't get very aggressive on anything on CLink. For one thing, CLink seems to be where people will dump books that have back-cover problems.

Whoa shots fired Jumbo! You think I only sell on there because all my books have back cover problems? :frown: Come on man, give me some credit. It's only like 50% of my back covers. :roflmao:

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, Funnybooks said:
On 8/24/2022 at 6:52 AM, manetteska said:

Also, is the HA the only auction house with the ability to view past sales?

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/auctionschedule.asp#Past Auction Results

On 8/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Definitely nowhere approaching complete as they appear to be very carefully selected to include generally only the high dollar value results in order to paint a favorable picture of the auction.  Hence, the reason why GPA is not willing to accept CL's auction results because they only want to include "selected results" as chosen by CL themselves and then to exclude all of the other results.  (tsk)

With the CC historical auction results, that is the one single good thing about the revamp they did a few years ago.  Now, instead of waiting seemingly weeks or months on end for them to manually load their auction results if lucky, they are now loaded instantaneously into their archives after each individual auction lot is finished.  (thumbsu

I have a few books on Clink now and I asked them on the phone why they don't have full past auction results. He said they consider that Clink property.

That's probably their generic answer. I think they may, for some reason, think that having past results will hurt their final auction prices.  Either that or their current site can't handle that technology. 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, sagii said:

I LOVE C'Links format,

Bomb bid responsibly and long live the snipe :headbang:

I absolutely HATE CL's auction format because it pretty much forces me to "bomb bid" if I really want a particular book and bomb bidding is something which I absolutely abhor doing.  :mad:  :censored:

On 8/24/2022 at 5:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yep. Especially on HA. You don't have enough time to make a rational decision.

The three-minute clock on CC gives me enough time to think, so I don't mind that format.

As a bidder, the EXACT reason why I much prefer the CC auction format with their 3-minute reset timer.  (thumbsu

As I found out during their big Jon Berk Auction a few years ago, 3 minutes is actually a long time and even enough time for you to double check and review the HA and CC archives for past sales (forget about CL who's archives are useless), the CGC population census and Gerber RSI rating, the Overstreet valuation, the bids you have on any other surrounding issues you have to ensure you don't go over your budget, and then even time to grab a drink from the fridge to clear your head to see if you should increase that bid increment or not.  :applause:  :bigsmile:

On 8/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Professor K said:

He said they consider that Clink property.

Yep, they've always claimed that their past auction results were considered to be proprietary information.  :frustrated:

On 8/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Professor K said:

Either that or their current site can't handle that technology. 

Then again, you might actually have something here as they might just want to hide the fact that their website utilizing old technology from almost 30 years ago just simply can't do something like an auction archive.  :facepalm:

On 8/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Yep, they've always claimed that their past auction results were considered to be proprietary information.  :frustrated:

Then again, you might actually have something here as they might just want to hide the fact that their website utilizing old technology from almost 30 years ago just simply can't do something like an auction archive.  :facepalm:

I've been selling with C-Link for like 6-7 years now straight and once again will sing their praises on multiple fronts. But I definitely have gripes as well, and for sure centered around the past results element and back covers. I definitely agree all results should just be seen. I enjoy looking back at the stuff they do show, but I would admit it seems like maybe that's simply the agenda. Predominantly showing only the positives lol.

As far as back covers, they should show that like the other sites, but I don't personally think it's affected my sales as far as I can tell. Also if you request a back cover photo and with enough time they'll usually send, but it shouldn't have to be the case. I think they have pretty strong sales for the most part when I check auctions running. So ultimately just not sure it affects prices much, but they should provide with every auction. Yet I digress.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Also if you request a back cover photo and with enough time they'll usually send, but it shouldn't have to be the case. ultimately just not sure it affects prices much, but they should provide with every auction. Yet I digress.

I have to disagree with that. I have received back cover scans from them before, but there were more times when I requested back cover scans weeks in advance and never heard anything.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I have to disagree with that. I have received back cover scans from them before, but there were morel times when I requested back cover scans weeks in advance and never heard anything.

They probably just didn't want to show you the ugly back cover lol.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:01 PM, lou_fine said:

I pretty sure that is the exact term he used. Gee mister, you sure know a lot of stuff. 

But yeah I think there is a good chance the website just can't handle an archive. Maybe a more tech savy person might know more. 

On 8/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I've been selling with C-Link for like 6-7 years now straight and once again will sing their praises on multiple fronts. But I definitely have gripes as well, and for sure centered around the past results element and back covers. I definitely agree all results should just be seen. I enjoy looking back at the stuff they do show, but I would admit it seems like maybe that's simply the agenda. Predominantly showing only the positives lol.

As far as back covers, they should show that like the other sites, but I don't personally think it's affected my sales as far as I can tell. Also if you request a back cover photo and with enough time they'll usually send, but it shouldn't have to be the case. I think they have pretty strong sales for the most part when I check auctions running. So ultimately just not sure it affects prices much, but they should provide with every auction. Yet I digress.

Yeah I really can't believe they don't take the time to scan back covers. In this day and age? :preach:

I'm assuming HA, CC, and CL all use scans and the scans are done by hand. I know with my old HP scanner it usually takes me a good 20 minutes for each slab to get a good scan but in their case they must have top end machinery. I've wondered if they have an employee or employees whose only job is to scan books all day. 

CL does sometimes have back cover photos like with books that will reach 20k or more, which means they can do it. Maybe the person who does the scans is too overwhelmed with work to scan all back covers. (shrug)

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 8/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah I really can't believe they don't take the time to scan back covers. In this day and age? :preach:

I'm assuming HA, CC, and CL all use scans and the scans are done by hand. I know with my old HP scanner it usually takes me a good 20 minutes for each slab to get a good scan but in their case they must have top end machinery. I've wondered if they have an employee or employees who only job is to scan the books all day. 

CL does sometimes have back cover photos like with books that will reach 20k or more, which means they can do it. Maybe the person who does the scans is too overwhelmed with work to scan all back covers. (shrug)

Yeah I've seen it with bigger books to. I think that tells you they clearly don't feel it's necessary or will affect sales. But they must think showing it with bigger books may help a sale. I remember when I sold my coverless Superman 1, I had them add photos of the interior. I actually don't think it did much because that sale wasn't a strong one for me lol.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I've seen it with bigger books to. I think that tells you they clearly don't feel it's necessary or will affect sales. But they must think showing it with bigger books may help a sale. I remember when I sold my coverless Superman 1, I had them add photos of the interior. I actually don't think it did much because that sale wasn't a strong one for me lol.

Pretty sure I remember that book. Not a good one to have a disappointing sale with. 

Yes- affect sales. That is why I don't get why they don't include a back scan. For example this current TEC 35 has a back scan. They must know a lot of people will be reluctant to bid 10K plus on a 1.0 without seeing a back cover scan.....so they add one.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022aug%26pg%3D4%23Item_1607677&id=1607677&itemType=0

Why it's a mystery to me is shirley they know if they add a back cover scan to every book, even if it means just one more bid per item, that would add up to thousands of $$$ every month in their pockets. So there must be a reason. I'm tempted to ask them next time I speak to one of the sales guys there but I fear it might get weird. 

Edited by Professor K
Link Added

On 8/24/2022 at 3:07 PM, Professor K said:

Pretty sure I remember that book. Not a good one to have a disappointing sale with. 

Yes- affect sales. That is why I don't get why they don't include a back scan. For example this current TEC 35 has a back scan. They must know a lot of people will be reluctant to bid 10K plus on a 1.0 without seeing a back cover scan.....so they add one.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022aug%26pg%3D4%23Item_1607677&id=1607677&itemType=0

Why it's a mystery to me is shirley they know if they add a back cover scan to every book, even if it means just one more bid per item, that would add up to thousands of $$$ every month in their pockets. So there must be a reason. I'm tempted to ask them next time I speak to one of the sales guys there but I fear it might get weird. 

Yeah it was this one: https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions.asp%3FclassCodeSelected%3DCurrent%2BAuctions%26classDateSelected%3D2022-08-18%26dateCodeSelected%3D2022aug%26dateDateSelected%3D2022-08-18%26IDUser%3D33684%26auctionSearch%3Ddate%26AuctionDateSearch%3DAll%2BAuctions%2C2022-08-17%26imgSearch.x%3D17%26imgSearch.y%3D7%26pg%3D3&id=1295190

On 8/24/2022 at 3:43 PM, lou_fine said:

You must have special access because when I click onto your attached link here, it takes me to an Error Page which says that I am not allowed to display this page.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Ohhh, yeah it must be because it's one of my old auctions. I guess only I can see it lol. Well, here's the photos. It sold for a whopping $12,077 back in early 2019. Pretty sure it's worth quite a bit more now.

RAD5BFC1201917_84056.jpg

00019960800053110319748001.jpg