• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,721 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My last Clink purchase. And I mean “last” in all senses of the word

91CDE82D-F1E9-49A5-B9C7-923C55D73C39.jpeg

I'd be more upset with CGC than Comiclink with this example. That was a gift grade.  I've asked for and received scans of back covers from Comiclink before, never seemed to be a problem.  Having back scans would definitely help with sales and I would love to see this.  An upgrade on their system would be appreciated (I'd love to see a search by publisher function.)  All in all, I've bought many comics over the years from CL and been satisfied with my purchases.  I've sold now in about 10-12 auctions, and I get paid like clockwork,  The auction results I have found to be around where I figure to higher (I have had a couple be slightly lower, but not by all that much.)  I just find them easy to work with and have not had any complaints with them. 

On 8/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, tth2 said:

Because of the dust shadows?  How is a 7.5 a gift grade because of the dust shadows?  Structurally, it doesn't look worse than a 7.5. I've seen 9.6 books with dust shadows like that.

It's purely a Comiclink issue, because a simple back scan would've clearly shown a cosmetic (not structural) defect like dust shadows that people don't need CGC to judge for them.  Each individual buyer looking at the scan, if one existed, would be able to use their independent judgment whether they can live with such dust shadows or not.

This is the bare minimum for what any auction company should do! 

It's like saying I always stay in a particular hotel chain because there's always a bed in the room.  :baiting:

Do you grade homework for a living?!? 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I'd be more upset with CGC than Comiclink with this example. That was a gift grade.  I've asked for and received scans of back covers from Comiclink before, never seemed to be a problem.  Having back scans would definitely help with sales and I would love to see this.  An upgrade on their system would be appreciated (I'd love to see a search by publisher function.)  All in all, I've bought many comics over the years from CL and been satisfied with my purchases.  I've sold now in about 10-12 auctions, and I get paid like clockwork,  The auction results I have found to be around where I figure to higher (I have had a couple be slightly lower, but not by all that much.)  I just find them easy to work with and have not had any complaints with them. 

That’s fine if you are organized enough to order a back cover for every possible book you might want. Forget jumping on a book that seems to be going low

On 8/26/2022 at 10:00 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh jeese, don't even go there xD. Can't handle that possibility heading into the weekend. Positive thoughts only!

Hate to be the bearer of negative thoughts here...............but don't think it's a possibility, as it's really more of a reality heading into the weekend.  :(

On 8/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Hate to be the bearer of negative thoughts here...............but don't think it's a possibility, as it's really more of a reality heading into the weekend.  :(

You guys are really killing my auction mojo :roflmao:.

jack-nicholson-goos-fraba.gif

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I haven't gotten a bid on any of my books in a week, and I'm pretty sure it's because of this discussion. You guys are scaring all the bidders away with this back cover issue, but I guess I contributed lol

No bids is VERY odd on comic link, as since they lack any real way to bookmark / watch auctions we are all forced to place dummy tracking bids just to keep track of things :D

On 8/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, Sauce Dog said:

No bids is VERY odd on comic link, as since they lack any real way to bookmark / watch auctions we are all forced to place dummy tracking bids just to keep track of things :D

Yes—I think I've "bid" on about 50 books, most of which I will probably not bid on again even if they stay cheap.

In the previous auction, I was interested in some of the Timelys, but those ended up exceeding my own valuations even before the closing seconds. The one that really blew me away was the Marvel Mystery #4; I'm glad I didn't make any wagers on how high that one would go.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes—I think I've "bid" on about 50 books, most of which I will probably not bid on again even if they stay cheap.

In the previous auction, I was interested in some of the Timelys, but those ended up exceeding my own valuations even before the closing seconds. The one that really blew me away was the Marvel Mystery #4; I'm glad I didn't make any wagers on how high that one would go.

Most books I 'bid' on I'll only do so for tracking (but if I win em I'll happily pay that price!). I missed the last featured auction completely, so put more effort in scouring this new one but honestly found nothing much of note that is getting me excited (mainly books I already own I would prefer to upgrade).

I think the only book I'm really interested in seeing where it goes is Adventure #48, as data for the 1st Hourman is fairly sparse and this result will help better gauge where my copy should be valued at.
https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1603550

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I think the only book I'm really interested in seeing where it goes is Adventure #48, as data for the 1st Hourman is fairly sparse and this result will help better gauge where my copy should be valued at.
https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1603550

I see that as a book that could have a lot of volatility. I feel like the cinema world is being saturated with superhero movies, so I'm not sure whether key books will continue to get the kind of bumps that they have so far. If they do, those bumps might be temporary, so for anyone who plans to sell, timing will be everything. There's always the possibility that the movie could get scrapped or bomb, so with Adventure #48, selling now is probably the safe option for people who don't like to gamble.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I see that as a book that could have a lot of volatility. I feel like the cinema world is being saturated with superhero movies, so I'm not sure whether key books will continue to get the kind of bumps that they have so far. If they do, those bumps might be temporary, so for anyone who plans to sell, timing will be everything. There's always the possibility that the movie could get scrapped or bomb, so with Adventure #48, selling now is probably the safe option for people who don't like to gamble.

What about all the books that have risen that aren’t superhero related, with no affects from the movies? Those haven’t seen to take a hit from anything.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I personally don't see any volatility from this book at all, the prices have been steady over the years (with the expected slow steady growth) and this isn't at all out of line with the prices so far (and I don't expect a massive bidding bump near the end, I'm estimating this goes between $5-6k max).

I'm a huge Hourman fan but even I can recognize nobody is spec'ing into Hourman based on movie rumours, and the only reason to buy in (at ANY time, movie or not) is only cause they recognize, like the rest of us, it is perhaps the last DC Golden Age 1st that is still "affordable".

edit: Auction ended. Book sold for $5,600, putting it right smack dab into my estimate. Slow and steady wins this race :D

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

What about all the books that have risen that aren’t superhero related, with no affects from the movies? Those haven’t seen to take a hit from anything.

For the more common books, it'll depend on what the economy does over the next couple of years.

For the scarcer books, a handful of collectors competing for the same books can have a significant impact on prices. Those are the ones that are impossible to predict. They can go down quickly (like Mystery Tales did 6 or 7 years ago when one major collector died), but that doesn't mean that they will.