• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,704 posts in this topic

I'm genuinely curious what you all think my #1 will sell for? I can totally understand the trimming will be a huge factor in pushing buyers away. The highest unrestored copy are 3 9.4's. One sold for like $8K in a 2020 Heritage auction. So not sure what an unrestored 9.6 would go for if it existed, and then the question becomes what percentage would my book hit of that 9.6 that doesn't exist copy right? I would think as low as 5%-10%? Isn't that what trimmed books tend to match in the unrestored version?

So say Action 1 CGC 9.0 sells for 5 mil, would a trimmed Action 1 9.0 sell for around $250K-$500K?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 12.08.04 PM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/1/2022 at 3:19 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I'm genuinely curious what you all think my #1 will sell for? I can totally understand the trimming will be a huge factor in pushing buyers away. The highest unrestored copy are 3 9.4's. One sold for like $8K in a 2020 Heritage auction. So not sure what an unrestored 9.6 would go for if it existed, and then the question becomes what percentage would my book hit of that 9.6 that doesn't exist copy right? I would think as low as 5%-10%? Isn't that what trimmed books tend to match in the unrestored version?

So say Action 1 CGC 9.0 sells for 5 mil, would a trimmed Action 1 9.0 sell for around $250K-$500K?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 12.08.04 PM.png

After looking at recent sales i would guess around 2K. I really hope more , but an 8.0 Promise just sold for only 1920,00 in May. It's the only time I found a sale for that exact book. 

Edited by Professor K

On 9/1/2022 at 1:23 PM, batman_fan said:

I paid for my winnings via wire transfer this morning.  Hopefully they ship fast. :wishluck:

Doesn't that involve a huge fee? I asked my bank about paying for a book with a wire transfer once, and they they told me that the fee was $90 (regardless of the amount of the transfer). I said thanks but no thanks and paid by e-check instead.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, Professor K said:

After looking at recent sales i would guess around 2K. I really hope more , but an 8.0 Promise just sold for only 1920,00 in May. It's the only time I found a sale for that exact book. 

My honest guess would be $1,200. Trimming is a deal-breaker for many collectors. 

On 9/1/2022 at 5:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Doesn't that involve a huge fee? I asked my bank about paying for a book with a wire transfer once, and they they told me that the fee was $90 (regardless of the amount of the transfer). I said thanks but no thanks and paid by e-check instead.

It is free on my end but I have to cover the $20 fee on their end.  Much better than the cc fee most of the time.

i am a little surprised that the slightly brittle Detective Comics 35 coverless just sold for $2467 while the pretty nice entry grade 1.0 only got $10,741.  i would have thought that latter book would go higher.   combined with the soft price on the recent detective 37 3.0, is there a slight softening in pre-robin tecs?

On 9/1/2022 at 10:53 PM, buttock said:

Throwing down a stupid bid at the beginning can intimidate other bidders also.  If it shoots up to $210K right off the bat everyone hoping for $175K says, "I'm out".  

But that bid of $210k will only appear as $210k and intimidate others if someone else puts in a bid of $205k (or whatever the next lowest increment is) early on too.  It takes two to tango.

If the action follows the typical pattern on Heritage, for example, someone might put in an early $210k bid, but going into the live auction, it might only appear as $100k because none of the other bidders are going to throw in a huge max bid that early.  Thus no intimidation effect.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:16 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Establishing a new benchmark is one reason for shill bidding, but it isn't the only reason. Shill bidding can be used as a backdoor reserve. The owner creates a fake account for bidding, puts in a bid just below the "reserve," and then collects his inflated income if the book sells, and if the book doesn't sell, the fake account just ghosts the auction site (CLink or any other site), and the seller lists the book again in the next round.

The fact that CLink doesn't publish their auction archives is one reason why I question whether they are making any effort to police shill bidding. I have seen sales disappear from the site soon after the end of the auction, sometimes within days or even hours.

ComicLink might not care about shill bidding per se, but they do care about fake bidders who stiff them, because they represent lost sales that could've been made to bona fide bidders and time and effort trying to track down the fake bidder to collect. 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:19 PM, tth2 said:

But that bid of $210k will only appear as $210k and intimidate others if someone else puts in a bid of $205k (or whatever the next lowest increment is) early on too.  It takes two to tango.

If the action follows the typical pattern on Heritage, for example, someone might put in an early $210k bid, but going into the live auction, it might only appear as $100k because none of the other bidders are going to throw in a huge max bid that early.  Thus no intimidation effect.

Good point. It seems unlikely 2 bidders would put down a $200k bid right out of the gate.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

How did you feel about the sales of the early Jumbos?  Did the prices meet your expectations?

They were in the ballpark.  I did find it a little surprising that raw graded GVG (not third party verified) copies on Heritage sold for slightly higher than my Graded ( verified) copies.  Surprised also because they are certified universal, so thought that would give more reassurance to buyers.  Very glad that the Larson lead the pack in the end (it should) and thought #4 was very high in demand (more so than #7 it seemed). 

What did you think? 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Forbush-Man said:

They were in the ballpark.  I did find it a little surprising that raw graded GVG (not third party verified) copies on Heritage sold for slightly higher than my Graded ( verified) copies.  Surprised also because they are certified universal, so thought that would give more reassurance to buyers.  Very glad that the Larson lead the pack in the end (it should) and thought #4 was very high in demand (more so than #7 it seemed). 

What did you think? 

I thought they did fine, but they're so rarely offered for sale that I didn't know what to expect.  I was a bit surprised that the 7 didn't do a bit better since it's one of the few Gerber 10 books out there.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:46 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I thought they did fine, but they're so rarely offered for sale that I didn't know what to expect.  I was a bit surprised that the 7 didn't do a bit better since it's one of the few Gerber 10 books out there.

It was one of those auctions where I also really didn't know.  It wouldn't have surprised me if they all went up or above $3k range either, they are just that scarce.  I think we officially have the #7 now at a Gerber 9 (Heritage knows of 6 copies they've sold, and mine made a 7th).  At any rate, I did well and some folks are going to be happy having them now. Win-Win. (thumbsu

On 9/1/2022 at 8:27 PM, Hoarder said:

i am a little surprised that the slightly brittle Detective Comics 35 coverless just sold for $2467 while the pretty nice entry grade 1.0 only got $10,741.  i would have thought that latter book would go higher.   combined with the soft price on the recent detective 37 3.0, is there a slight softening in pre-robin tecs?

Maybe a little just like almost everything else recently. If I were an owner I wouldn't worry much about it and if I were a buyer I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

On 9/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I did find it a little surprising that raw graded GVG (not third party verified) copies on Heritage sold for slightly higher than my Graded ( verified) copies.  Surprised also because they are certified universal, so thought that would give more reassurance to buyers.  Very glad that the Larson lead the pack in the end (it should) and thought #4 was very high in demand (more so than #7 it seemed). 

I think it was because CL probably wasn't the best platform to sell jumbo Jumbos.  They're pretty esoteric to start with, even for GA, and CL's bread and butter clientele are focused on SA and BA.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:19 AM, tth2 said:

I think it was because CL probably wasn't the best platform to sell jumbo Jumbos.  They're pretty esoteric to start with, even for GA, and CL's bread and butter clientele are focused on SA and BA.

Actually I've been satisfied with the results of this auction over all.  My only real disappointment is that my Funny Pages V3 #3 didn't go for more; tough book & it's the highest graded, off-white to white too.  All I needed was 2 serious Centaur collectors to go at it like wild monkeys (seen that before). 

As for difference between auction houses, I might have gotten a little more & lost it in added fees. So kind of a wash there.