• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,773 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2024 at 7:53 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Noticed that a Sub-Mariner Comics # 32 CGC 0.5, cover detached, centerfold missing is listed. Did a quick peak at GPA and oddly enough a cover less, centerfold missing copy sold in 2022. Hmm.

I'm a bit peeved to know that CGC gave a grade to a book that's missing a centerfold. I thought that incomplete books were supposed to be NG.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:53 PM, ThothAmon said:

The final countdown. Those Batman’s are real nice … This guy going to get any more love?

IMG_0403.thumb.jpeg.967bdeb6855e4862f1232f529c85c2bf.jpeg

What did this close at?

On 9/7/2024 at 7:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 9/6/2024 at 6:53 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Noticed that a Sub-Mariner Comics # 32 CGC 0.5, cover detached, centerfold missing is listed. Did a quick peak at GPA and oddly enough a cover less, centerfold missing copy sold in 2022. Hmm.

I'm a bit peeved to know that CGC gave a grade to a book that's missing a centerfold. I thought that incomplete books were supposed to be NG.

I think that's consistent with how CGC has graded similar books in the past. I don't believe that I've ever seen CGC grade a book that was missing a wrap, or even a front or back cover less than a 0.5.

On 9/7/2024 at 8:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Can definitely get a blue 0.5 incomplete grade

On 9/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

I believe if it has either a front or back cover, and at least half its pages, it can grade .5

Yup.

Basically a comic can be missing ONE major element and still get a 0.5. However, the moment a book is missing MORE than one thing...that's a No Grade!

Missing centrefold? 0.5.
Missing centrefold AND the back cover? NG.
Missing entire front cover? 0.5.
Missing entire front cover and back cover? NG FOR YOU!

edit: Coverless are my favourite, as it is easy enough to upgrade them to 0.5 by marrying a new back cover.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 9/17/2024 at 10:42 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup.

Basically a comic can be missing ONE major element and still get a 0.5. However, the moment a book is missing MORE than one thing...that's a No Grade!

Missing centrefold? 0.5.
Missing centrefold AND the back cover? NG.
Missing entire front cover? 0.5.
Missing entire front cover and back cover? NG FOR YOU!

edit: Coverless are my favourite, as it is easy enough to upgrade them to 0.5 by marrying a new back cover.

I have a one in a holder that's missing the centerfold and back cover.  0.5.  Maybe CGC changed the standard since that book was graded.  Serial number starts with 1 so it's been a while.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:21 AM, Vince G said:

I have a one in a holder that's missing the centerfold and back cover.  0.5.  Maybe CGC changed the standard since that book was graded.  Serial number starts with 1 so it's been a while.

Yeah sounds like that might be the case, would be interesting to see a scan of that slab.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:21 AM, Vince G said:

Missing a back cover and centerfold still grades .5

Again, if it has either front or back cover, and at least half its pages, it's .5

Low grade is all I deal with, so I know this stuff :D

Per CGC definition:

"NG – This label stands for "No Grade" and is assigned to comics that are either missing the entire cover, or one half or more of the interior pages, or both. It may also be assigned to comics that are only being verified as authentic, per CGC's discretion."

Edited by Joseph Ragno