• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,721 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2024 at 9:27 AM, Chicago Boy said:

That would b an absolute steal IMO. Hope yur wrong. If it doesn’t get 125k I’ll b sad. I thinks it’s worth 150-200k.  

My guess was based on $78k sale 2 years ago on Heritage and this current one has a back cover so you are probably right.

It's could be possible that the buyer who won the Tec 27 covers last year or earlier this year will be interested in this coverless copy to marry the two together. If that's the case, then bidding may get fierce as it would be a "win at all cost" situation for that person.

On 5/23/2024 at 7:34 PM, Dark Knight said:

It's could be possible that the buyer who won the Tec 27 covers last year or earlier this year will be interested in this coverless copy to marry the two together. If that's the case, then bidding may get fierce as it would be a "win at all cost" situation for that person.

That would be nice!!

As mentioned before this is my copy and I posted the Batman pages recently. They are supple pages with excellent Off-White or better. The big issue of course is the slightly brittle areas on the spine. 

I really considered bidding on that Front Cover to marry to this book but the price was to steep for me. 
Anyway’s a great investment for long term hold for whoever wins this book at auction. 
I probably would have kept the book but I still have my Tec’s 31 and 33!

Tec 27 coverless with back cover  

with cover only Selling for 222k and actions comics 1  page 1 only brittle for 58k

150k seems a fair estimate

IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

On 5/25/2024 at 9:16 AM, zen514 said:

Tec 27 coverless with back cover  

with cover only Selling for 222k and actions comics 1  page 1 only brittle for 58k

150k seems a fair estimate

IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

Have there been other examples of covers only selling for that sort of price, or is that a one-off? If they're consistently selling for that, O.K., but it doesn't make sense to base a valuation on that sale if it's an outlier.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Have there been other examples of covers only selling for that sort of price, or is that a one-off? If they're consistently selling for that, O.K., but it doesn't make sense to base a valuation on that sale if it's an outlier.

Doesn’t matter imo.  That tec 27 cover is a unicorn and was worth every penny whether the winner had the insides or not. 

On 5/25/2024 at 11:08 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Doesn’t matter imo.  That tec 27 cover is a unicorn and was worth every penny whether the winner had the insides or not. 

First cover only I have ever seen in 50 years for sale.:golfclap: 

On 5/25/2024 at 10:05 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Next time it sells it will sell for

more than 222k. 

On 5/26/2024 at 6:45 AM, zen514 said:

Next time it sells it will sell for

more than 222k. 

That's your opinion only, for what it's worth—which is to say, nothing.

That's possible, but it still has nothing to do with the valuation of a (front) coverless book. That's my opinion, also worth nothing.

Complete Tec 27 covers are far more rare than coverless copies. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

You can't infer the value of a relatively common item based on the sales price of a much scarcer item. That's simple logic.

On 5/26/2024 at 7:01 AM, CGC Mike said:

Wow.  I remember being laughed at for paying $3600 for a first wrap of Action 1 with off white pages around 2008.  It was the only first wrap  of Action 1 that I have ever seen offered for sale.  I sold it in 2013 for about 3 times as much.  

(worship)   Not bad for $3600 investment.  It's always nice to own a piece of history.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 6:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That's possible, but it still has nothing to do with the valuation of a (front) coverless book. That's my opinion, also worth nothing.

Complete Tec 27 covers are far more rare than coverless copies. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

You can't infer the value of a relatively common item based on the sales price of a much scarcer item. That's simple logic.

Throw out any logic when it comes a front cover tec 27 or action 1.  They will always go for. A ton of dough and more dough the next time one becomes available. ( if at all ). I’ve seen a half cover action 1 and this tec 27 fc for sale. Heck the only FC S are these FC’s I know that exist outside of the action 1 FC. fragments  Id trade an entire  collection of equal value for either. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 5/26/2024 at 8:01 AM, CGC Mike said:

Wow.  I remember being laughed at for paying $3600 for a first wrap of Action 1 with off white pages around 2008.  It was the only first wrap  of Action 1 that I have ever seen offered for sale.  I sold it in 2013 for about 3 times as much.  

On 5/26/2024 at 7:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Imo  this coverless will sell for around 150k. Its an auction estimate. It could sell for less or more. 

Also if you sell it page per page your at 150k ish. once again approx

Since any book is not a set price as it is with any commodity in any set time.

Just my opinion as much as yours

On 5/23/2024 at 9:27 AM, Chicago Boy said:

That would b an absolute steal IMO. Hope yur wrong. If it doesn’t get 125k I’ll b sad. I thinks it’s worth 150-200k.  

Jimbo wants 84k  when  Ac Page 1 brittle sold for 56k

Does someone want to buy this Holy Grail for cheap🤔

IMG_4594.jpeg

On 5/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, zen514 said:

Jimbo wants 84k  when  Ac Page 1 brittle sold for 56k

Does someone want to buy this Holy Grail for cheap🤔

IMG_4594.jpeg

I'm not in the market for any single pages or coverless copies. If I ever win the lottery (which I don't play—but I've been given lottery tickets as gifts before), then I may buy a complete Tec 27 some day.

All bets are off with auction items because of bidding wars. It only takes 2 bidders to drive any item sky high. The price on the Action 1 page was bizarre. I'd be more interested in knowing where the third-highest bidder was. I suspect he or she was far below the buyer and the underbidder, but only that bidder and the auction-house insiders know for sure.

The coverless copy could hit $100K or even $150, but the price that the cover sold for shouldn't be the basis for the estimate. A bigger factor is whether the bidders are collectors who want the book for their own collections or flippers who need room for a profit. I would think that the flippers would be more cautious, but who knows for sure.

Well, I guess we all agree that ether one would be nice to have.

I think like @jimbo_7071 says the price on both crossed the line and the bidders parachute never opened and they paid high.

I just don't see any way you get 57k back on the Action 1 page brittle?

I don't see getting 222k back on Detective 27 cover unless you have the insides, it's not going to be a blue label but will be nice to own.

I guess paying 222k for cover 150k for insides than 10k for someone to join them and grade you than paid 382k for a Detective 27 complete THAN it sounds like a good deal but there is a lot of ifs.

I also think it does not matter what it grades Detective 27 in low grade .5 to 4.0 restored or Qualified will sell high.

I do own a Detective 27 but since I was 20 I always thought it was a better book to own than Action 1 and these last few years Batman has always been more popular than Superman.

I am only using IMO and holding nothing against Action 1 that I would love to own. Look at FF 1 vs Fantasy 15 both great books but Spiderman wins IMO.

On 5/27/2024 at 11:33 AM, woowoo said:

Well, I guess we all agree that ether one would be nice to have.

I think like @jimbo_7071 says the price on both crossed the line and the bidders parachute never opened and they paid high.

I just don't see any way you get 57k back on the Action 1 page brittle?

I don't see getting 222k back on Detective 27 cover unless you have the insides, it's not going to be a blue label but will be nice to own.

I guess paying 222k for cover 150k for insides than 10k for someone to join them and grade you than paid 382k for a Detective 27 complete THAN it sounds like a good deal but there is a lot of ifs.

I also think it does not matter what it grades Detective 27 in low grade .5 to 4.0 restored or Qualified will sell high.

I do own a Detective 27 but since I was 20 I always thought it was a better book to own than Action 1 and these last few years Batman has always been more popular than Superman.

I am only using IMO and holding nothing against Action 1 that I would love to own. Look at FF 1 vs Fantasy 15 both great books but Spiderman wins IMO.

I work in education, and from what I've witnessed, among the younger people who could be the comic collectors of tomorrow (if there are any!), Spider-Man is far more popular than Batman, who is the only D.C. character who gets any attention at all. D.C.'s Superman and Marvel's Captain America are both utterly passé. You can't deny Superman's importance to the hobby, but eventually it will only be a tiny group of comic book übergeeks who care.

On 5/27/2024 at 9:13 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not in the market for any single pages or coverless copies. If I ever win the lottery (which I don't play—but I've been given lottery tickets as gifts before), then I may buy a complete Tec 27 some day.

All bets are off with auction items because of bidding wars. It only takes 2 bidders to drive any item sky high. The price on the Action 1 page was bizarre. I'd be more interested in knowing where the third-highest bidder was. I suspect he or she was far below the buyer and the underbidder, but only that bidder and the auction-house insiders know for sure.

The coverless copy could hit $100K or even $150, but the price that the cover sold for shouldn't be the basis for the estimate. A bigger factor is whether the bidders are collectors who want the book for their own collections or flippers who need room for a profit. I would think that the flippers would be more cautious, but who knows for sure.

I like guessing. Its fun. Its just my opinion. 150k  since you add the front cover or the sum of all parts indicate that price. So yes the 222k cover  since a complete is at least 350k… The fugly action 1 0.5 sold for 408k

So 125k to 150k  for this TEC 27

Your 82k estimate could happen but most likely many flippers and buyers would pounce on it.

Now your new estimate of  100-150k is  more reasonable. Once again just my opinion.

Also Action comics 1and  Tec 27 is like the T206 Wagner and  Babe Ruth 1914 Baltimore news rookie.

They will always be king of the hill for many reasons. True Holy grail status. 

I can buy Af15 any second.. But these two dont come around often

IMG_4672.jpeg