• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,647 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Highest graded MC 1 goes for 2 mill less than Tied for highest graded AC 1 a few years later. 

Yeah 5 years later. I really thought this MC 1 would go for a decent more tbh, but what do I know.

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Where did the $600K copy sell again?

it didnt. numbers are wrong

5 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Last 6.0 which was boardie owned went for over 600k.  It was a pedigree as well but presented nicer imo ( Nov ) copy

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/744183?tzf=1

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thx for setting the record straight.  That’s right it was that copy. So solid  price at this auction. 

@Chicago Boy this new info means last nights Clink sale was better than we first thought, comparatively. But it doesn’t change the fact that first Bat and first Supes are still way out in front of the firsts of other characters. An Action 1 or Tec 27 in 6.0 would go for 3 times what this MC 1 hammered for. 

an astute boardie recently likened MC 1 to FF1 in the sense that it started the Timely/Marvel ball rolling(for which it will be forever revered), but today the characters contained therein take a back seat to others introduced later.  Interestingly (at least to me), at this exact point in time, I doubt a Cap 1 6.0 would have hammered as high as this MC 1. 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@Chicago Boy this new info means last nights Clink sale was better than we first thought, comparatively. But it doesn’t change the fact that first Bat and first Supes are still way out in front of the firsts of other characters. An Action 1 or Tec 27 in 6.0 would go for 3 times what this MC 1 hammered for. 

an astute boardie recently likened MC 1 to FF1 in the sense that it started the Timely/Marvel ball rolling(for which it will be forever revered), but today the characters contained therein take a back seat to others introduced later.  Interestingly (at least to me), at this exact point in time, I doubt a Cap 1 6.0 would have hammered as high as this MC 1. 

That definitely seems to be the case as far as Cap 1 goes. Marvel Comics 1 is squarely above any non DC book and #5 overall, taking a back seat to Supes and Bats 1 also. Well might duke it out over #5 with Batman 1.

112E653E-69C1-4D64-A635-D566CDF1E373.jpeg

19D4A9B5-C7BF-4F45-B83D-5530432FE3D4.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

11 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Does this hurt it’s standing in the hierarchy of GA books ?  

It's always been the redheaded stepchild of the GA mega-keys.  I can remember when so many high grade copies came up over and over and over and over on Heritage that they were considered toxic.  You could've bought a 9.0 copy for barely more than what this 6.0 copy just sold for.

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Agree 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Interesting. Before I was woke, I guess. Because they seem less available on the market nowadays, and maybe Cap 1 has taken its place. Seems like there’s always a Cap 1 available these days

No I agree, Cap 1’s have seem to become somewhat readily available. There’s interior tape, but here’s a super nice presenting 2.0 currently selling.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-cgc-gd-20-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-91035.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No I agree, Cap 1’s have seem to become somewhat readily available. There’s interior tape, but here’s a super nice presenting 2.0 currently selling.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-cgc-gd-20-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7234-91035.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That 2.0 looks terrific. There was a time where cap 1 s were always to be found. Dried up for a bit a few years ago and now readily avail.  Seeing a lot of Supe 1s these days as well. 

Well, if you listen to @Mmehdy , it just might have something do do with this whole new and devastated economic environment that we are now living in as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.  hm

Then again, it might not be, so who really knows unless you know or can ask the consignor yourself.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Interesting. Before I was woke, I guess. Because they seem less available on the market nowadays, and maybe Cap 1 has taken its place. Seems like there’s always a Cap 1 available these days

It's cyclical.  There was a long stretch when no Action 1s or Tec 27s were coming on the market, then we had a relatively high number for a few years.

Before the Heritage MC 1 deluge, there were Batman 1s on the market all the time, then they dried up.  Then MC 1s (and not just any MC 1s, but really high grade copies) were on the market constantly, until they dried up.  Cap 1s have probably been more constantly on the market compared to just about any other GA mega-key, but now they're really on the market all the time.  I expect that they'll dry up (relatively) in due course.