• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SPIDER-WOMAN directed by Olivia Wilde (2022?)
1 1

46 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So it is Booksmart that is getting Olivia Wilde a lot of attention.

Booksmart_RT.PNG.b73b0cf748e89c445e43a621ecf43047.PNG

Booksmart_RT2.PNG.04c372ad59ae2f31ea032014d2df87f7.PNG

I hadn't seen this film yet.

I saw it last month via Hulu.

It's basically a female version of Superbad but better than that sounds. It's bolstered by cameos from a few SNL alums and other veteran comedians.

I thought it was a much better debut effort than say, Cop Car, which won Jon Watts the Spider-Man: Homecoming gig.

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So it is Booksmart that is getting Olivia Wilde a lot of attention.

Booksmart_RT.PNG.b73b0cf748e89c445e43a621ecf43047.PNG

Booksmart_RT2.PNG.04c372ad59ae2f31ea032014d2df87f7.PNG

I hadn't seen this film yet.

It's basically a female version of Superbad but better than that sounds. It's bolstered by cameos from a few SNL alums and other veteran comedians.

I thought it was a much better debut effort than say, Cop Car, which won Jon Watts the Spider-Man: Homecoming gig.

Seemed well-done, but I was bored as hell.  Didn't make it past the first 15 minutes.  Which surprised me because I loved most movies in this coming-of-age genre like Napoleon Dynamite, Superbad, Rushmore, Lady Bird, Dead Poets Society, Juno, Ferris Bueller, Eighth Grade, or most any John Hughes movie.

47 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

22 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Seemed well-done, but I was bored as hell.  Didn't make it past the first 15 minutes.  Which surprised me because I loved most movies in this coming-of-age genre like Napoleon Dynamite, Superbad, Rushmore, Lady Bird, Dead Poets Society, Juno, Ferris Bueller, Eighth Grade, or most any John Hughes movie.

I'm going to give it a view this weekend to see what I think of it.

Deadline reported in August that Sony Pictures had hired Olivia Wilde, director of Booksmart, to direct and develop an untitled female-centric Marvel movie that would later be confirmed to Spider-Woman, but more specifically, Jessica Drew. Due to this character's conflicting character rights, fans were unsure how this incarnation of Drew would be adapted by Sony.

Some actually investigated further and discovered that Marvel Studios could possibly be involved with its production. Charles Murphy of Murphy's Multiverse discovered that this Spider-Woman movie will include executive producer Rachel O’Connor. Murphy noted that O'Connor is not an executive producer for Venom, Morbius or Venom 2, movies that are not terribly connected to the MCU. In contrast, she was an executive producer for both Spider-Man movies, Homecoming and Far From Home, which are very obviously connected to the MCU with heavy involvement from Marvel Studios.

While not definitive, this gave ample evidence that the Spider-Woman movie would be more connected to the MCU than any other spin-off Sony has made or plans to make thus far. Today, in a recent interview, Olivia Wilde may have in fact confirmed Marvel Studios' involvement.

NEWS

Appearing in the season 2 premiere of the Shut Up Evan podcast, hosted by Evan Ross Katz, Olivia Wilde discussed her work on Sony's Spider-Woman movie and made mention of Kevin Feige:

"All I can say is that this is by far the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me because not only do I feel like I get to tell a story that... God, like, listen to me trying to avoid like Kevin Feige's pellet gun."

WHAT THIS MEANS
Her comment making reference to Kevin Feige heavily implies, if not outright confirms, Marvel Studios' involvement with her Spider-Woman movie starring Jessica Drew. The biggest connection that Jessica Drew has to an existing character in the MCU is not Peter Parker, but Carol Danvers. In the comics, Jessica Drew actually has barely any relation to the web-head, but is the best friend of Danvers.

Due to Marvel Studios' involvement with Olivia Wilde and her Spider-Woman movie, this means that Brie Larson could potentially make an appearance in this movie, too. This would make sense, since Robert Downey Jr. appeared prominently in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Marvel Studios' involvement could also mean that whoever is cast as Jessica Drew could appear in Captain Marvel 2 as a supporting character. Considering the connection that Jessica Drew has to the Secret Invasion comic-event that is being adapted, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise either.

Daisy Ridley "would love" to play Spider-Woman in the extended Spider-Man Universe, revealing that she would "for sure" swing into another blockbuster franchise after Star Wars. After a February 2020 report that Sony Pictures was eyeing Breaking Bad director Michelle MacLaren for a Spider-Woman movie starring Tomb Raider's Alicia Vikander, Ridley emerged as a popular fan-cast to play spider-powered spy Jessica Drew. Later that year, Booksmart and Don't Worry Darling director Olivia Wilde confirmed reports she would direct a female-led Marvel movie after hinting at her involvement with Spider-Woman, expected to be part of the MCU-adjacent Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters.

Interviewed by USA Today bestselling author Sariah Wilson ahead of her new movie Chaos Walking, which Ridley leads with Spider-Man star Tom Holland, Ridley revealed she's unfamiliar with casting rumors but said she "would love to play Spider-Woman." After asking if Spider-Woman is part of "an extended Spider-Verse thing," Ridley said she would "for sure" join the budding universe already home to Tom Hardy's Venom and Jared Leto's Morbius.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:42 AM, fantastic_four said:

Been a fan of Spider-Woman since the 70s, and I don't remember her EVER appearing in Spider-Man.  I bet it happened at some point but only briefly.  The only association between them at all is spiders.

But who knows what their contract says, could be anything.  All we've ever been able to do is reverse-engineer it from the actions both studios take, so if the rumor is true and Feige is talking to Sony about Jessica Drew, they must own the rights.  We'll see.

Yes, not sure Spider-Woman ever appeared in a Spider-Man book in the 70s but the converse is not true.

large-2276591.jpg?1442880196

Sony has a Spider-Woman movie in the works from the mind of Olivia Wilde. Though little has been revealed about the project, Star Wars alumnus Daisy Ridley has been a fan-favorite to play the film's titular hero. Ridley herself has expressed interest in the role and in the case of one recent interview, took the time to address the rumors that she'd be appearing as Jessica Drew in the feature.

Speaking with ComicBookMovie, Ridley would neither confirm nor deny she has officially boarded the project. She did, however, say she's willing to join another franchise should the story make sense.

"Well, it's funny because someone asked me off the cuff about the Spider-Woman rumours recently, and I went, 'Oh, that sounds great.' Apparently, I've now declared myself a frontrunner to be Spider-Woman which isn't true!" the actor told CBM. "It's funny because I don't really choose things...I [didn't] set out to do another 'big film.' I just read the [Chaos Walking] -script, loved it, and loved the idea of it."

She added, "Basically, should something come along and be great, of course I'd be open to anything. I just finished WandaVision. What they did with it is so amazing and different and interesting. To be particularly in that world, which is ever shifting and reimagining itself would be very exciting."

33 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Abrams was right when he said that she has the acting range of a potato. Or something like that.

'wooden' was his 2015 comment. I believe it was an early comment made to her which he then didn't remember saying later on.

Daisy Ridley: JJ Abrams called my acting ‘wooden’

I believe they enjoyed working with one another as when Abrams came back supposedly they connected rather quickly to catch up.

Daisy Ridley says she cried when she heard J.J. Abrams was returning to ‘Star Wars’ (not out of fear - calm down Angel of Death ;-) )

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

lol

She got a little better in TLJ, and then again in TROS. I certainly am not going to see a movie because of her acting chops, though.

She's a good actress but she can't overcome awful writing/a moronic plot (which is why she wasn't stellar in Episode IX or in the new movie with Holland). I'd be happy to see her in this role.