• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pure Hate in this Article is Astounding
1 1

232 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, nickdemeato said:

Can somebody fill me in on this? Whats so dumb? The idea there are children buying comics?

Where the HELL did anyone ever say that?

That they would be smart enough to see a thing one place at a much cheaper price than it sells for somewhere else, then take advantage? That they get help from their parents?

Curious, do you have first-hand knowledge of what kids do at all? The ones I see are playing video games, or picking up sticks outside, or picking their nose. I am around a few children and I don't ever see them looking at eBay for comic prices, ever, but I am not around every child so I can't say for sure.

Can you?

-slym

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I can't say the same for shows

Tbh when it comes to what money is being exchanged at shows, the majority of it is CGC books...people have alot of dollar bins to complete runs, but the high dollar being exchanged is CGC.

This has not been my experience. Raw books are still king. 

On 3/3/2020 at 1:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Is it just me or did books selling out and becoming $20 books overnight part of the reason you started collecting comics way back when?  I loved reading (and rereading) the books and loved to complete sets but part of the thrill was knowing my books could jump in value.  The search for that sold out issue of Green Arrow Long Bow Hunter was what really got the collecting juice going. The argument that readers should get first shot at books is kind of moot since any reader of comics can preorder books and have them waiting for them to read.  Readers of comics do not see the headlines of a hot new book and run out to the shops and buy a copy to read.  They want the complete set and they would have bought issues 1 - 3 via preorder.

Can readers hear about a hot book they skipped over and want to pick up a copy to see what the hype is about - sure.  A ton of readers are collectors so I'm sure they are pissed they can't get the books they want but that has been the market forever since Independent Black and White books sold out in minutes way back in the 80s.  Is anyone actually reading these recent hot Batman books - are they good?

I just liked the story. I was told regular by the shop owner not to expect any to go up in price. It is good now to be able to make some money from a hobby, to see something go on ebay that you have and dont care about. Get it sold and get something you do are about.

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Both. Slabs still represent a very small percentage of all comics. 

Exactly

The availability of raws will always be king

But the amount of money is questionable...I mean nobody is talking about $90,000 raws being sold but tmnt 1 9.8 just sold for that. And when you see auctions being promoted, front and center you see a CGC book.

At the TCBS every door prize is a CGC book and CBCS goes there for on site grading ( which is ironic if you ask me)

Most recent door prize

Screenshot_20200305-104753_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Exactly

The availability of raws will always be king

But the amount of money is questionable...I mean nobody is talking about $90,000 raws being sold but tmnt 1 9.8 just sold for that. And when you see auctions being promoted, front and center you see a CGC book.

At the TCBS every door prize is a CGC book and CBCS goes there for on site grading ( which is ironic if you ask me)

Most recent door prize

Screenshot_20200305-104753_Chrome.jpg

Could be regional. Out here in the northeast CGC is still often treated as an affront to the hobby. 

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Could be regional. Out here in the northeast CGC is still often treated as an affront to the hobby. 

I don't got to con's but once a year, thanks for this, as mostly they have raws. That's fine with me but I didn't realize there WAS a reasoning or thought process to it. I thought maybe the costs to slab didn't make sense on thousands of books, when rate of return on raws would do just as well (thumbsu

48 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Call me speculative if you want, but I enjoy buying slabs and first appearances...and you won't see me buying drivel....

We determine the market as collectors to the hobby, so ultimately it is our fault because of this...

Define drivel.

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't got to con's but once a year, thanks for this, as mostly they have raws. That's fine with me but I didn't realize there WAS a reasoning or thought process to it. I thought maybe the costs to slab didn't make sense on thousands of books, when rate of return on raws would do just as well (thumbsu

Imo you won't get a rate of return on raws that you would on CGC

On 3/3/2020 at 6:26 PM, slym2none said:

I have worked in retail, many shops, over many years. Some of them have been comic shops. There is a difference.

-slym

What would be the thing that happens only in the comic shop that wouldnt happen in another retail store or how does it differ? Obviously DnD and Magic and stuff like that maybe? The only thing Ive noticed different about comic shops is the mass of people chatting around the till to the owner for hours on end :blush:

On 3/4/2020 at 3:15 PM, siro123 said:

Yes comic stores can sell digital on there websites and make 33% of the digital sale for the store. 

Any comic store with a website can do this and have this as a backup option if they so choose but most dont.

This I did not know. Maybe scared to even start directing people to buy digital. They may never come back.

7 minutes ago, nickdemeato said:

What would be the thing that happens only in the comic shop that wouldnt happen in another retail store or how does it differ? Obviously DnD and Magic and stuff like that maybe? The only thing Ive noticed different about comic shops is the mass of people chatting around the till to the owner for hours on end :blush:

Knowledge of your area and customer base defines what you order, and comics are not like any other retail product, even magazines. How do I know that? I managed a newsstand for ~3 years. Go to a department store and see the same thing everywhere you go. Comic-only shops are vastly different in that it is very clientele-based. Some comic shops do well with statues, others don't. Those that do, order them and have many on display. Those that don't, don't.

If you need more detailed info, I suggest working at a comic shop for a while.

-slym

32 minutes ago, nickdemeato said:

I just liked the story. I was told regular by the shop owner not to expect any to go up in price. It is good now to be able to make some money from a hobby, to see something go on ebay that you have and dont care about. Get it sold and get something you do are about.

I have to ask, why are you buying comics you don't care about? My collection was filled with things I liked because I liked them.

-slym

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

there is alot of division in the collecting community and perception of things contribute to it

This is usually the case in most hobbys IMO. Some people think only their way of doing things is the correct way. A hobby that spans the world, millions reading different things, buying for different reasons but some always feel their way is the only way. Nothing else could be true.

1 hour ago, slym2none said:

Where the HELL did anyone ever say that?

Curious, do you have first-hand knowledge of what kids do at all? The ones I see are playing video games, or picking up sticks outside, or picking their nose. I am around a few children and I don't ever see them looking at eBay for comic prices, ever, but I am not around every child so I can't say for sure.

Can you?

-slym

On 3/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, BL4Z3 said:
On 3/2/2020 at 11:35 PM, nickdemeato said:

Children have parents and or guardians who can act on their behalf. So the contract would be between the parent and the buyer. Im a little in disbelief I had to write that. Is it really so far beyond your imagination that this could be happening? Im not talking about a large % im not even saying its a lot. For you to dismiss it like its just not possible. Did you really never sell something when where youger to buy something else? I think I even said before that the parents would sell it on ebay

I said the above. Someone called that entire quote the dumbest thing they have seen. I am trying to find out what was the dumb part. I asked that question to see if thats why it was called dumb. If thats what they thought was dumb.

I have 1st hand knowledge of what the kids that I know do. 2 out of about 10 read comics. 13 and 11 year old boy. Single mother, pretty poor. Usually just stuff that I throw their way but they have started to buy their own within the last 6 months with some money they make tidying gardens and the like. I think twice they asked me to put some drek on ebay. I just kept it a week then gave them £20. It was just some stuff I gave to them in the 1st place and now Ive bought it twice and overpaid the 2nd. Nearly all the rest of the kids are under 6.

My point. No one knows what all the kids are doing. But somehow some people here are certain that this is not happening anywhere. Impossible.

None of the 10 children I know play Ice Hockey. I would never say no kids play ice hockey. Yet some people think because they know 5 kids who dont do this, that no ones doing it.

You know some kids bring crisps and choc into school to sell to their class mates? Not too big a leap to think someone might figure out they could do that with comics.