• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pure Hate in this Article is Astounding
1 1

232 posts in this topic

i follow what the point is, and i commend what you do for youngsters. my only comment would be, and please don't consider that it is criticism in a snarky way, would it have been more productive to have extended the buy back moment to a teachable moment, and have been more open with the children as to why the ebay thing would not be productive instead of over compensating the actual value of the comics? considering their economical condition and their mom's hardships, i think teaching them to better their position in real life and the real cost of money would help in not perpetuating a sad economic status. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Imagine story lines in books were actually good nowadays

Some are but most arent.  You dont have to write for adults either-the 60s Marvel stuff, for kids, was enjoyed by adults too.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Some are but most arent.  You dont have to write for adults either-the 60s Marvel stuff, for kids, was enjoyed by adults too.

I agree. And Archie comics are pretty good too, both Adults and children can read it

I think the best method isn’t write for kids or adults, write for all ages. Kid specific comics always seemed patronizing to me. Good comics that just don’t have an overload of sex and violence can be enjoyed by all. Bone is a good example. Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck, Groo, any of Raina Telgemeier’s books. It seems like often times the kids comics talk down to the kids as if They can’t understand basic story plots or dialogue more complex than a toddlers learn to read book. And they rarely assign top talent to them. Treat the all ages stuff as A list titles and they’ll be A list titles. We don’t need to know which Avengers are transitioning and villains don’t need to commit rape And cannibalism to be bad guys. Those comics are fine too, but it’s almost all we have left in the mainstream. We need variety, and it just makes sense to make your work appeal to as many readers as possible 

20 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Imagine story lines in books were actually good nowadays

There's plenty of good stuff nowadays even it it might not seem like it.  We tend to look at things through rose colored lenses.  I have fond memories of the stories I read as a kid.  I love 80s and 90s Marvel, but wow.  Going back and re-reading some of that stuff is straight garbage.  Clone Saga, Onslaught, etc.

Edited by mec3437

22 minutes ago, shadroch said:
On 3/5/2020 at 8:02 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Imo you won't get a rate of return on raws that you would on CGC

Keep thinking that. More importantly, keep preaching it. 

Raws are where the money are, in my opinion.  They are the untapped diamonds.