• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Why you gotta make me feel bad?  :(

Actually, no real need to feel bad as the end of the flu season is fast approaching and hopefully, they will have a vaccine in place in time for the next flu season.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

to argue the other side even though I do agree kind of about the medias over saturation of the news with Corvid-19 coverage, but it has killed a few healthy young people, Doctors who were in close contact, etc.. not just the elderly or people with other medical conditions, its also another flu with casualties which were not necessary. I also think the news is covering it a lot because to many people really aren't taking it seriously and ignore symptoms, they spread the virus as they dont believe they are contagious etc.. I think they want people to understand the impact this has to the worlds health and the health care system. The virus has changed its jumped back to animals as well, as a dog has the virus after spending time with a infected person so the effect or mutation capabilities of this virus is unknown where the common flu is well known. The news I see now, try to focus on informing people to wash their hands and be more be aware, while reducing exposure from infected droplets. 

38 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

The virus has changed its jumped back to animals as well, as a dog has the virus after spending time with a infected person so the effect or mutation capabilities of this virus is unknown where the common flu is well known

I know this was well meaning, but it is not fact. It has not jumped back and can't. what can happen is an infected person holding a dog, and then the dog getting tested could show a possibly weak positive. just like touching an inanimate object, an elevator a door knob a counter top, etc., the virus can survive for a while and if a person touches that object it is possible to contract the virus. that is quite different than we are all going to die because pets can catch the virus and kill us. this is the 3rd. time today I have heard a person state that a dog got the virus. no. it did not. it can't. it has not a thing to do with a mutation and jumping species. it is because the infected person touched the dog and left the virus on the dog.

If what is happening is a panic, then the Fed just panicked and dropped interest rates.  However, the Dow dropped in response and is (of this moment) down 3.34% on the day.  

A couple of corrections to misinformation on the posts above:

• Coronavirus is not a flu virus.  
  • There is a vaccine for various flu viruses, but none is expected for coronavirus for at least 1.5 years.
  • Healthy people have been killed by the coronavirus (but it is far more dangerous to the weak and older folks, just like other infectious diseases).
  • Coronavirus may be more contagious than flu because coronavirus is apparently airborne spread (which is why it is worrying - Flu infects 10s of millions in the U.S. each year and this could be bigger).
  • There is no coronavirus season, you can get it year round - it is just that the conditions which encourage transmission (lots of people indoors together) are less likely in warmer weather.
Edited by sfcityduck

I remember the Summer of 2001.  It was THE YEAR OF THE SHARK!!!  Shark attacks everywhere, people were to be devoured as soon as they entered the Ocean (at least that is how the media portrayed it).  The fact was/is you had like a 1 in 260 million chance of being killed by a shark when you go in the Ocean, and get this....a zero percent chance if you stay out of the Ocean (unless you trip over a carcass on land and smash your head).       

Then-  9/11 happened.  Killer Shark attacks disappeared completely from the news.   

Point is-  Fear mongering, mis-information, and fear of the unknown move the needle.  The Media does a great job of all 3.    

Wash your hands, cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze, carry some anit bac.   While the virus is still a big unknown, it has yet to approach percentages wise, what the common flu does to us yearly.   It may be better, it may be worse, but there is no need to run around like crazy people, just be vigilant. 

5 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Are we sure about this.  Since it is a novel virus, have we even seen it year round yet?  We have only seen it spread among people since December 2019.  

As far as it is known, for now.

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Are we sure about this.  Since it is a novel virus, have we even seen it year round yet?  We have only seen it spread among people since December 2019.  

It is not a new type of virus.  It is just a more virulent form of this type of virus.  Scientists have drawn conclusions based on what they know of analogous viruses.  But, of course, there is no substitute for experience.

13 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:
1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

There is no coronavirus season, you can get it year round 

I agree that this is still an open question, at least as far as I've read (I'm no doctor or researcher).  BUT I do think the prevailing theory is that we should not count on the virus to disappear (although we can still hope!) seasonally with warmer weather as some viruses do.  And even if it did disappear/weaken with warmer weather, there's no guarantee that it wouldn't come back seasonally in fall or winter as some viruses do.

But I think the point is that we shouldn't count on the seasons saving us, even if you may have heard a certain elected official spreading that (mis)information.

Which goes to the point of a lot of lot of what has been said so far in this thread.  There's a lot we still don't know about the virus, so us non-experts should probably not deal in absolutes.

Either way, don't trust everything you read here, go find out yourself from trusted sources.

Edited by revat

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It is not a new type of virus.  It is just a more virulent form of this type of virus.  Scientists have drawn conclusions based on what they know of analogous viruses.  But, of course, there is no substitute for experience.

didn't he say novel virus, not new virus? 

28 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I remember the Summer of 2001.  It was THE YEAR OF THE SHARK!!!  Shark attacks everywhere, people were to be devoured as soon as they entered the Ocean (at least that is how the media portrayed it).  The fact was/is you had like a 1 in 260 million chance of being killed by a shark when you go in the Ocean, and get this....a zero percent chance if you stay out of the Ocean (unless you trip over a carcass on land and smash your head).       

Then-  9/11 happened.  Killer Shark attacks disappeared completely from the news.   

Point is-  Fear mongering, mis-information, and fear of the unknown move the needle.  The Media does a great job of all 3.    

Wash your hands, cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze, carry some anit bac.   While the virus is still a big unknown, it has yet to approach percentages wise, what the common flu does to us yearly.   It may be better, it may be worse, but there is no need to run around like crazy people, just be vigilant. 

never get out of the boat.

Just now, wilbil said:
30 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

never get out of the boat.

the weirdest thing that I've seen so far is the amount of people hoarding bottled water.  Like I get it if you live kind of outside of town and don't want to come town as often you buy a bit more, but for everyone else...at worst you get sick and stay home for a couple of weeks (or get super sick and sent to the hospital), I don't follow why anyone would think there would be a drinking water shortage (outside of some parts of Michigan that haven't had drinking water for years). 

If we're at point where drinking water becomes an issue, an extra four cases of Kirkland water ain't going to save you.  Or is water just the first panic-purchase for most people? Like are people buying batteries and lanterns too? 

Although maybe its time to buy stock in publicly owned water companies? or beverage companies?

I was in a hardware store Saturday, and they sell rain barrels 50 gal. type. a country gentleman type came in, you can tell from the clothes, the only thing missing was an ascot, and there were 5 barrels on the floor. he bought all 5. I think that qualifies as panic.

40 minutes ago, revat said:

Either way, don't trust everything you read here, go find out yourself from trusted sources.

+1

Exactly right and that's why I've got a call into Donald right now as I am typing this.  (thumbsu  lol