• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I just spoke to my friend who has a booth, he said he hasn't received any notifications on cancellations, but like you said he thinks "less people will show up" 

That means more desperation for dealers to sell, which means better deals IMO 

maybe for the brave that will go out there.. but Toronto Comicon prices that dealers had posted there seems slightly on the higher side as compared to when I visit their shops locally, I can sometimes in my opinion snag a better deal.. might be just my bias or experience purely for this observation, but yeah I still sometimes grab a few issues, but the high value books in the several thousands generally don't happen there for me personally.

15 hours ago, comixry said:

What about the 1995 film "Outbreak" where the camera pans through a hospital's air ducts and stops at Dustin Hoffman's character in a haz-mat suit who goes: "....airborne!"

Damn those monkeys!? lol  That is such a great and classic movie.  Everyone needs to watch!

Edited by Dark Knight

4 hours ago, wilbil said:
5 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

if this was an ordinary flu

it is not any type of flu, which is the problem because there is not a vaccine at this time,

And yet even with a vaccine in place for the regular seasonal flu, there were still something like 45 million flu cases and 61,000 associated deaths for the previous flu season year. :sick:

and none were associated with not getting vaccinated.

an easy method to clarify, would be to determine the number of people in the U.S., and determine the number of vaccines administered in the U.S., and it would yield a number that would be a surprise to many. both numbers are available on government websites.

another number that can be found on the websites is the number of people that had flu and died, and the underlying illnesses that attributed to the deaths. the U.S. is fortunate we have a low .10% death rate. 

4 hours ago, Tony S said:
4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Just wondering if it has been disproven that corona virus can be spread via polyethylene bags?  Through the mail? :cool: 

It's certainly possible. So far what I've read says some corona viruses can live a few days on a surface.  It's not known if this strand can.

Sad to say, but I was talking with a research scientist who's been doing quite a bit of work with this virus for both the WHO and CDC, and he confirms that this corona virus will indeed have serious impact for comic book collectors going forward.  :frown:

Due to the material used in making the CGC holders, apparently this corona virus can actually live on the surface of the holder for several years.  In addition, not only is this virus both infectious and highly contagious, but it has also been found to be very discriminating.  Apparently this corona virus targets only CGC slabs that are graded at 9.8 or higher and also any books that are valued at $1,000 or higher.  :sick:  :fear:

Being the caring board member that I am who is always concerned about the health of other boardies here, I am more than willing to sacrifice myself by taking the risk of holding onto these hazardous slabbed books for you until the incubation time period of 10 years for these CGC holders is up and these books are safe for you to hold once again.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but I was talking with a research scientist who's been doing quite a bit of work with this virus for both the WHO and CDC, and he confirms that this corona virus will indeed have serious impact for comic book collectors going forward.  :frown:

Due to the material used in making the CGC holders, apparently this corona virus can actually live on the surface of the holder for several years.  In addition, not only is this virus both infectious and highly contagious, but it has also been found to be very discriminating.  Apparently this corona virus targets only CGC slabs that are graded at 9.8 or higher and also any books that are valued at $1,000 or higher.  :sick:  :fear:

Being the caring board member that I am who is always concerned about the health of other boardies here, I am more than willing to sacrifice myself by taking the risk of holding onto these hazardous slabbed books for you until the incubation time period of 10 years for these CGC holders is up and these books are safe for you again.  lol  :takeit:

Hilarious!! :golfclap:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Being the caring board member that I am who is always concerned about the health of other boardies here, I am more than willing to sacrifice myself by taking the risk of holding onto these hazardous slabbed books for you until the incubation time period of 10 years for these CGC holders is up and these books are safe for you again.  lol  :takeit:

just as long as your dont sell them yourself lol.

35 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

just as long as your dont sell them yourself lol.

Since I am also worried about the health of the general population out there, all of you owners of CGC 9.8 graded books or higher or books with a value of $1,000 or more need not have any concerns.  :gossip:

I will be sure to self-quarantine all of these books within my own personal collection for the full 10-year incubation time period.  :takeit:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Funny you mentioned toilet paper because yesterday when I went grocery shopping, I was surprised that they didn't have any in stock!?  Some people are just taking things too seriously and way over the top.  

I don't understand what the obsession is with toilet. Does coronavirus give people the drips? Or is it from a supply chain standpoint. People are afraid toilet is not being produced due to the virus?