• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Whaaat?

I thought it was about 8 times as deadly, not 35 times as deadly.

Where did you get this info?

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1, coronavirus has a mortality rate of 3.5, or did at one point, it keeps changing since it’s such a new disease. It’s currently sitting at 7.0

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

7 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

35X as deadly? so the average year has 60,000 US flu victims so 60,000 x 35 = 2,100,000 americans are or will die from the Corona Virus this year? That's your serious statement....

I’m saying 3.5% of people who catch it will die, the number of people who catch it will depend on a lot of things out of our control. But when the CDC says it’s a big deal, it’s probably a big deal. They know more about this stuff than either of us and it’s not him saying this is just another flu or that everyone is overreacting. In fact, I think they’ve said the opposite

3 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

35X as deadly? so the average year has 60,000 US flu victims so 60,000 x 35 = 2,100,000 americans are or will die from the Corona Virus this year? That's your serious statement....

That math is correct.  As this is considerably more contagious than influenzas, if 70 million Americans contract the illness,  approximately 2.1 million will not make it (based on other countries that bungled their response and the mortality rate realized there).  

That’s why people are taking this so seriously.  Unfortunately, ignorance and disinformation are powerful adversaries and will only make this worse.

Just now, Randall Dowling said:

That math is correct.  As this is considerably more contagious than influenzas, if 70 million Americans contract the illness,  approximately 2.1 million will not make it (based on other countries that bungled their response and the mortality rate realized there).  

That’s why people are taking this so seriously.  Unfortunately, ignorance and disinformation are powerful adversaries and will only make this worse.

When i hear that a 47 year old healthy Lifeguard/Firefighter/Competitive Surfer drops dead from it (me), i'll worry. I have Medical Background and unless you  are Ill, old, ill health background (i.e Asthma, Heart Disease..Ect) you're more likely to die from a car accident than a virus thats been around for decades... New strain, same results..like the Flu. Old, Ill health, young ect. 

2 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

When i hear that a 47 year old healthy Lifeguard/Firefighter/Competitive Surfer drops dead from it (me), i'll worry. I have Medical Background and unless you  are Ill, old, ill health background (i.e Asthma, Heart Disease..Ect) you're more likely to die from a car accident than a virus thats been around for decades... New strain, same results..like the Flu. Old, Ill health, young ect. 

You sound like you take care of yourself which is awesome.  But you’re 100% incorrect about this being around for decades.  It’s not a new strain of something we’ve seen before.  That’s why they call it a novel virus.  I’ll refer you to the dictionary for the definition and usage of “novel”.  And there are people of all ages dying from this but you are correct, the elderly are most vulnerable to this (and all other) illnesses.

9 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I’m worried about my mother and my grandfather and other older loved ones and loved ones of those I care about.

and again, it’s not like the flu. It’s as much like the Black Plague as it is the flu. You could call it airborn AIDS that kills you in 2 weeks if you like 

3 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

You sound like you take care of yourself which is awesome.  But you’re 100% incorrect about this being around for decades.  It’s not a new strain of something we’ve seen before.  That’s why they call it a novel virus.  I’ll refer you to the dictionary for the definition and usage of “novel”.  And there are people of all ages dying from this but you are correct, the elderly are most vulnerable to this (and all other) illnesses.

Totally WRONG. COVID-19 CoronaVirus is from the same family of virus that was SARS in 2003 and goes back to at least 1940's. Im EMT and you're picking a battle with the wrong megical guy. COVID-19 is a new strain of COROVAvirus decades old. Each different in its own way like a flu each year

1 minute ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Totally WRONG. COVID-19 CoronaVirus is from the same family of virus that was SARS in 2003 and goes back to at least 1940's. Im EMT and you're picking a battle with the wrong megical guy. COVID-19 is a new strain of COROVAvirus decades old. Each different in its own way like a flu each year

That’s kind of like saying “I’m a lifeguard and I say tsunamis aren’t real”

7 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Its called a NOVEL virus because of the DEAN KOOTS NOVEL which wrote about the "outbreak" years ago in a book.

People like you are who spread histeria on social media...

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

You said Corona virus is NEW its NOVEL..not me..

Is this coronavirus different from SARS?

SARS stands for severe acute respiratory syndrome. In 2003, an outbreak of SARS started in China and spread to other countries before ending in 2004. The virus that causes COVID-19 is similar to the one that caused the 2003 SARS outbreak: both are types of coronaviruses. Much is still unknown, but COVID-19 seems to spread faster than the 2003 SARS and also may cause less severe illness.

You said Corona virus is NEW its NOVEL..not me..

Is this coronavirus different from SARS?

SARS stands for severe acute respiratory syndrome. In 2003, an outbreak of SARS started in China and spread to other countries before ending in 2004. The virus that causes COVID-19 is similar to the one that caused the 2003 SARS outbreak: both are types of coronaviruses. Much is still unknown, but COVID-19 seems to spread faster than the 2003 SARS and also may cause less severe illness.

As closely related as us and apes

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

That makes ZERO sense. Tsunamis are caused by earthquakes underwater, volcanic eruptions or large meter impacts on the ocean....unless you think its actually a "tidal wave"

4 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Its called a NOVEL virus because of the DEAN KOOTS NOVEL which wrote about the "outbreak" years ago in a book.

People like you are who spread histeria on social media...

Is this a joke?  You’re not making sense again, man.

3 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

That makes ZERO sense. Tsunamis are caused by earthquakes underwater, volcanic eruptions or large meter impacts on the ocean....unless you think its actually a "tidal wave"

What makes zero sense is to thing because you’re an EMT you know more about this than CDC scientists. I’m not an EMT, I’m sure you know more about saving a life than I do, but I know what it takes to become an EMT, and I imagine it takes a lot more to be a leader in the field of medical science. 

Just now, Randall Dowling said:

Is this a joke?  You’re not making sense again, man.

I was just quoting what was written. Its not a novel virus its been around for decades. Read above...People are calling it NOVEL because it was in A NOVEL written years ago.....my other facts above are point on. PROVE ME WRONG im in the medical field

Just now, dupont2005 said:

What makes zero sense is to thing because you’re an EMT you know more about this than CDC scientists. I’m not an EMT, I’m sure you know more about saving a life than I do, but I know what it takes to become an EMT, and I imagine it takes a lot more to be a leader in the field of medical science. 

Again im just responding to you guys and your histeria. Along with everyone elses. Its not NOVEL as in unique, its NOVEL as in DEEN KOOTS NOVEL wrote about it years ago....its NOT NEW, CORONAVirus is decades old, as i said SARS was CORONA just a different strain... 

2 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

I was just quoting what was written. Its not a novel virus its been around for decades. Read above...People are calling it NOVEL because it was in A NOVEL written years ago.....my other facts above are point on. PROVE ME WRONG im in the medical field

7C20F29C-4BEF-4BBF-9F00-51B293FF4232.png

as i said SARS was CORONA just a different strain... 

That’s not accurate. And it’s not what your source claimed either. The two viruses are related but they’re not the same. Minute differences in biology can equal hide differences in the diseases spread and mortality rate. This isn’t SARS. It hasn’t been around for decades that I can see, although it could have been around a few years before the global outbreak. Do you understand what macro evolution is? You know these things evolve at a rate fast enough to observe under a microscope, and the changes in biology over the course of a couple years is a huge deal.