• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

They are really putting the kibosh on things.  They've kiboshed before but nothing like this.

Image result for joe davola kibosh

MA declared a state of emergency today so I have a bad feeling about ACE.....and I've been so FN excited for my Obi-Wan/Anakin book to get done!!

I'm a teacher near Boston and they just closed my school for at least tomorrow because they found out a teacher went to Italy 2 weeks ago!

A Note From MEGACON Orlando  https://www.megaconorlando.com/en/plan-your-visit/health.html?fbclid=IwAR2z4R6Uz-wXZ2Pr46bXfZVyPARaCQOJLOD3UFQKx7KUbuQnHarQHeZYl-w

MEGACON Orlando’s top priority has always been to deliver the ultimate Fan Experience and ensure the safety and security of our fans. In
light of global developments with COVID-19, MEGACON Orlando will be taking place as planned with a variety of extra precautionary health and safety measures, following the guidance of the City of Orlando and the Florida State Government.

The Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA) currently assesses the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low. However, we are proactively staying up to date with national and local authority guidance and working with the Orange County Convention Center who will amplify cleaning and sanitization processes throughout the facility.

We look forward to welcoming all MEGACON Orlando fans who are planning to visit the show. If you are intending to come from outside of the U.S., we recommend you check for any latest government travel, entry or quarantine restrictions before setting off. Under any circumstance, if you feel unwell or you are coughing or sneezing, we ask for you to please not come to the venue and rest at home or in your hotel. The World Health Organization also recommends proper hand washing and covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing to protect yourself and others.

We are grateful for the ongoing support of our community and look forward to continuing to serve you and provide the best possible experience at MEGACON Orlando. Our customer service team is always standing by at orlandotickets@fanexpohq.com and any updates will be posted here. 

For more information about your city, please read the following:

http://www.ochealthinfo.com/phs/about/epidasmt/epi/dip/prevention/novel_coronavirus

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/COVID-19/index.html

Edited by Doc McCoy

On 3/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, Quicksilver Signs said:

Unfortunately I think messaging from the CDC and other US health organizations is driven by fear of hurting the economy over actual human health. 

Today the Trump Administration changed its tune:

When asked if he thinks NBA games should go on during the outbreak, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he would not suggest it.

“We would recommend there not be large crowds, if that means not having any people in the audience when the NBA plays, so be it,” Fauci said while speaking in front on the House Oversight Committee about the novel coronavirus response.

“As a public health official, anything that has large crowds is something that would give a risk to spread,” Fauci added. 

58 minutes ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

I was laughing to myself at the irony of people telling you that the Wuhan show post was a joke all the while missing that your koreacon post was a joke too

i know. i couldn't believe that. that was funny, so i decided to let it stand and not reply. i thought i was being ignored because of 1 ball gender politics. 

18 minutes ago, wilbil said:

c'mon now.......

Not criticising, just noting that Head of a key Administrative agency basically just endorsed having the NBA play without crowds.  Over in Europe, they are playing pro soccer without crowds.  It's an amazing world we live in.  And relevant to comic cons.

Are people overreacting? Are we underreacting? Should people travel (March break is happening next week in Canada with schools off for the week)? Should concerts and large events be banned? Will sports teams play in front of empty arenas in North America? Will large cities go under quarantine? Will there be a cure?

For me, its the great unknown of this all. I think we are overreacting in some ways, not enough in others. Can it be contained? Would require a major hit to major economies for a chunk of time. I am intrigued to see where we are in 6 months and whether we look back at this as another scare or an actual world changing event. 

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not criticising, just noting that Head of a key Administrative agency basically just endorsed having the NBA play without crowds.  Over in Europe, they are playing pro soccer without crowds.  It's an amazing world we live in.  And relevant to comic cons.

that was a joke, relative to a certain newsworthy personality. however, the gentleman you are referring to did say the same thing over a week ago, at another hearing in another committee.

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Are people overreacting? Are we underreacting? Should people travel (March break is happening next week in Canada with schools off for the week)? Should concerts and large events be banned? Will sports teams play in front of empty arenas in North America? Will large cities go under quarantine? Will there be a cure?

For me, its the great unknown of this all. I think we are overreacting in some ways, not enough in others. Can it be contained? Would require a major hit to major economies for a chunk of time. I am intrigued to see where we are in 6 months and whether we look back at this as another scare or an actual world changing event. 

swine flu?

1 minute ago, wilbil said:

that was a joke, relative to a certain newsworthy personality. however, the gentleman you are referring to did say the same thing over a week ago, at another hearing in another committee.

I wasn't aware of that.  Minutes ago, SF just banned fans at Warriors home games for the next two weeks.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I wasn't aware of that.  Minutes ago, SF just banned fans at Warriors home games for the next two weeks.

i am not a big sports person, so i don't have the fairest perspective, but considering containment as the first and best line of defense at this time, and considering we do not have readily available testing for everyone at this time, and we do not have a vaccine, cancelling large gatherings is a reasonable approach. it would be impossible to bar just the high risk categories from an event, and would cause further social unrest anyway, so at least until we have immediate testing in place and a vaccine, we would be wise to hold off.