• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It is so bad already, that a valid question is whether the economic fallout is going to cause more deaths than the virus.  Poverty kills.  Joblessness kills.  Depression kills.

Yes.

And the sooner everyone starts practising good habits the sooner this pandemic ends. It can end in a matter of weeks if people take it seriously. That's how long it took to slow down growth in China once it was identified.

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

As for the point of this thread - comic cons - how can they go forward when the NBA has cancelled its season, colleges are cancelling classes, and NCAA March Madness is probably next (already fans are banned from games)?  They can't. 

It's just a temporary thing. I would expect things to bounce back within a few weeks once we have a better handle on it and stuff to resume later in the year.

I'd guess and say that most people will likely get it (or come into contact with it) no matter what we do, but the point is to slow down the spread so that people who need medical attention can receive it. Prolong it if you will.

Like I said, the sooner everyone starts taking appropriate measures, the sooner we recover and bounce back.

Every day counts, every person counts at this point.

Edited by VintageComics

So far Cape Town ComicCon seems to still be on track for May1st-May3rd

I'm really hoping Artgerm doesn't pull out of it, have already bought my plane tickets from JHB to CPT just because he is going and would hate for him to pull out because of this stupid virus. Thankfully there is only 1 reported case in the Western Cape and the other 16 are 1000km away. Will see how it goes in the next month or so.

I'm a graduate student, and I am waiting for my school to move all their classes online, something that is being currently considered. I wish they would, I'm in a tough program with a super high GPA requirement, as such people will come in half dead because they are afraid of missing even a single class. I already caught the flu this year from some jackazz that wouldn't stay home despite knowing he had it (I took the whole week off when I got it). There are people in class sick constantly (colds and flu), and I'm sure if they get the Corona virus they will try to come in too, I wish the college would make the switch to online now, we only have about 6 weeks left in the semester, do the right thing and cancel in person classes now.

1 hour ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

I'm a graduate student, and I am waiting for my school to move all their classes online, something that is being currently considered. I wish they would, I'm in a tough program with a super high GPA requirement, as such people will come in half dead because they are afraid of missing even a single class. I already caught the flu this year from some jackazz that wouldn't stay home despite knowing he had it (I took the whole week off when I got it). There are people in class sick constantly (colds and flu), and I'm sure if they get the Corona virus they will try to come in too, I wish the college would make the switch to online now, we only have about 6 weeks left in the semester, do the right thing and cancel in person classes now.

The universities here in WV have already done this, despite no cases confirmed in the state.

11 hours ago, unclezebo said:

It's not a flu virus although some people compare it to the flu, it's not. It's a corona virus,  MERS and SARS are 2 of the big named ones that are of this type. The symptoms seem to some people  to be the same as the flu(others claim its worse). At this point I've heard word of a shot/vaccine in the works but that is a ways down the road. From the reports Iv'e read/seen the fatality rate is higher than the flu, which could be from lack of testing to know the correct number of infected but at any rate double the number is still bad. Older adult seem to have a significant higher rate.

Thank you for the clarification.  When you go to to the doctor with "flu like" symptoms, the doctor prescribes "something" i.e. antibiotics, z-pac or something else.  The patient feels like they stand a very strong chance of being ok after a few/several days.  
but if you have the coronavirus - Is it like "Sorry, but there is no cure. You will just have to tough it out and hope you live"...Is the message that is resinating with the public that is causing all this fear?  The death rate proportionately is higher then the "flu's" we are used to seeing.
Didn't like 15(not sure of the exact count) people die in that Nursing home in Washington State from the coroavirus? Would this normally occur if it was the regular "flu's" we know about and can treat?  I believe I read that anybody over 60 and other people with health issues are "REALLY" susceptible to have a very serious reaction to the coronavirus.i.e. stronger chance of death.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by musicmeta

17 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Thank you for the clarification.  When you go to to the doctor with "flu like" symptoms, the doctor prescribes "something" i.e. antibiotics, z-pac or something else.  The patient feels like they stand a very strong chance of being ok after a few/several days.  
but if you have the coronavirus - Is it like "Sorry, but there is no cure. You will just have to tough it out and hope you live"...Is the message that is resinating with the public that is causing all this fear?  The death rate proportionately is higher then the "flu's" we are used to seeing.
Didn't like 15(not sure of the exact count) people die in that Nursing home in Washington State from the coroavirus? Would this normally occur if it was the regular "flu's" we know about and can treat?  I believe I read that anybody over 60 and other people with health issues are "REALLY" susceptible to have a very serious reaction to the coronavirus.i.e. stronger chance of death.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to one of my best friends, who is a nurse: "Yes."

15 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Fax Expo Dallas is a dead man walking. Unless there is a sudden plunge in the bell curve, there will be too much pressure to cancel. And heaven forbid they have it and five days later there is an explosion in cases.

What about Fan Expo Toronto Canada that is not this coming weekend, but the following weekend, which is the week before Fan Expo Dallas.

I'm just saying, if there is no fall out from Toronto, the Dallas thing may still happen :) 

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm doing a local con this weekend near the Iowa/Illinois border. I am not sure what to expect

You can probably google latest area coronavirus cases..... I do that for Dallas and it gives the surrounding areas, it's a metroplex, just to get an idea....

SO far no new cases in Dallas area :wishluck: 

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm doing a local con this weekend near the Iowa/Illinois border. I am not sure what to expect

Show coming up in Dayton in 2 weeks was just cancelled today.  The show runners didn't have a say in it... it was the university where they rent the hall that forced the cancellation.

On a side note... new info on the virus just out today says it can survive for 3 days of plastic surfaces (no joke). 

(-- We're currently de-bagging everything in the shop and writing prices in magic marker directly on the books)

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Expect it to be canceled or postponed. March is a busy month for me show wise. They have all been canceled or postponed.

I checked their facebook page (since I haven't received any emails) and the last post from 4 hours ago says the show is still on.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What about Fan Expo Toronto Canada that is not this coming weekend, but the following weekend, which is the week before Fan Expo Dallas.

I'm just saying, if there is no fall out from Toronto, the Dallas thing may still happen :) 

I think it will be cancelled or postponed as where Toronto comicon is held there was a mining convention that had a confirmed person attend and the office he was in was under quarantine as well, our prime minster and premier where at the mining convention as well and currently our prime minster is in self isolation... 

So I can't see them safely and reasonably carry on the convention there. If they do I unfortunately will not attend currently. which I was planning to go.  

On 3/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, MedicAR said:

We have two problems right now. One is an epidemic known as COVID-19 (coronavirus) and another is best described as an "Infodemic." The first is a virus transmitted between people, the second is people transmitting anything and everything they see and/or hear about a virus. I work in healthcare and have been watching this since it first surfaced about six to eight weeks ago. 

If my word isn't good enough, check out Dr. Abdu Sharkawy, MD and Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto

Great post and also, infodemic is a great description for many things these days.  That may be almost as bad as the actual illness. 

On 3/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, Lazyboy said:

But we're not even close to being all said and done. COVID-19 is just getting started.

But, you really don't know that.  It could get worse or it could die a slow death.  Speaking in absolutes is an iffy proposition.