• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: FURIOSA starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth (2024)
6 6

279 posts in this topic

After seeing this, I’m looking for some good post apocalyptic films to watch. Any recommendations?

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 6:36 AM, piper said:

Keep watching. I liked it. 4/5

Ok, the second half did get quite a bit better.

I am not as high as you but I would give it a 3/5

**loved her car! would love to get a model of it

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, piper said:

After seeing this, I’m looking for some good post apocalyptic films to watch. Any recommendations?

Fallout is really very good, try it again.

On 6/3/2024 at 10:17 PM, piper said:

Book of Eli

Doomsday (Theatrical or Unrated Editions)

Oblivion

Reign of Fire

Greenland

End of Days

Zombieland

The Omega Man

On 6/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, crassus said:

There was lots of "girl power" in Fury Road, nobody seemed to mind... although perhaps it makes a difference to have it in capital letters...?

The close up fight scene's with Chris, Anya's vegan arms falling around were a bit mush to swallow.   Year-ago me would or rebelled against seeing such an obvious bending of basic reality, but after endless movies of girl bosses, its all just blended in.

The violation scene of her captured mother was heavily muted, under layers of clothing.

The scene where Praetorian Jack is dragged behind the bike, and left to the dogs was cut off before anything really happened.   

This was PG Mad MAX, the R rating was based on what?  The innuendo that Furiosa hacked her own arm off??    Innuendo isn't an R.

On 6/3/2024 at 10:17 PM, piper said:

Funny you should ask as Watchmojo just did a Top 20 of this:

On 6/4/2024 at 12:17 PM, piper said:

I'm a big fan of I am Legend.    Love or hate Will Smith, he can certainly act (thumbsu  

On 6/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, piper said:

The movie isn't bad but for an amazing read I'd suggest -

51M7XGLQTBL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

On 6/4/2024 at 7:35 AM, grendelbo said:

I'm always up for a good read. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 6/4/2024 at 4:22 AM, Microchip said:

I'm a big fan of I am Legend.    Love or hate Will Smith, he can certainly act (thumbsu  

The story by Richard Mathewson was a fun read.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:35 AM, grendelbo said:

A master. His Blood Meridian is an uber-classic.  I agree the movie of The Road is not great, but that world isn't as appealing to the eye as the blazing wasteland of Mad Max.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

I'll second Oblivion. Surprisingly a great movie.

It is! I use the "effective team" line all the time.  I HATE Tom Cruise and can let it go on this one which is saying something.  Super cool world design (even if I feel like some of the plot gotten taken from various films, not mentioning any cuz spoilers).

Dunno if it's on any of the youtubers lists above but an "interesting" one I saw recently is The Bad Batch (2016).  Not a great film, but Aquabro, Keanu, Jim Carrey, and a bit different.

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

I wasn't a fan of this movie. And I love the Mad Max world. I didn't know what the heck was going on for a while. I had no issue with the actors or their acting. It was exactly what I expected from a Miller film. The plot for me was all over the place. All the bouncing around from one location to another confused me. I must have missed something during all the car revving and sand flying around.   

Edited by Rodey

In the past two or three weeks I had the opportunity to see the following movies, ranked best to last because we prefer winners & losers, grades that is, around here:

1. Lawrence of Arabia. Second time I've seen this. The first time being soon after 9.11.2001. Gheyest epic of all time. Really wonderful movie. A

2. Silver Linings Playbook. Missed this in 2012 despite my ex-wife being a slavering Bradley Cooper fan. Katniss can't jog but is hawt. Eagles fans lol.  B+ for the curvey 'niss & Cooper's convincing work.

3. High & Low - John Galliano. JG doc focusing more on his issues than his couture. Oh well. I'm a big fan of the latter so B. 

4. Godzilla Minus One. This movie made me sleepy but Minami Hamabe kept me lucid. :cloud9: C+ but A+ for Hamabe. NOTE: the civilians regret the government's inept war-handling, not the war itself.

5. Furiosa. Road Warrior is in my top 10 favs. Fury Road was a very different movie but really good. This movie about the power-creeping 5th rider of the apocalypse with endless Rambo-style firstpersonshooter murderous gunplay was a dreary muddle. Bugeyed girlboss. Chapter One with shag-haired mom & lil Furiosa was much better because of shag-haired mom. YES! But sadly C- due to endless runtime & Thor's bleeding nips. Awful.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:13 AM, RedRaven said:

Just give me one more with old-max.

I understand but probably not a good idea in this century.

On 6/4/2024 at 12:58 PM, Darwination said:

His Blood Meridian is an uber-classic.  

I prefer the alternate take on Blood Meridian ~ Lonesome Dove.