• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay's "Send Offer" function...
3 3

74 posts in this topic

It works. I sold two books using the function. Last one just a couple of weeks ago. I came close on other occasions. The offers are for 48 hours I think it's a good idea. 

If you have enough interest to watch the item then it shouldn't be a bother. I think theres a restriction however. Like I don't think you can just send continuous offers for the same item after it expires. I don't know how long before Ebay allows for another offer to the same watchers after expiration? Anyone know?

Edited by MGsimba77

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It works. I sold two books using the function. Last one just a couple of weeks ago. I came close on other occasions. The offers are for 48 hours I think it's a good idea. 

If you have enough interest to watch the item then it shouldn't be a bother. I think theres a restriction however. Like I don't think you can just send continuous offers for the same item after it expires. I don't know how long before Ebay allows for another offer after expiration? Anyone know?

I think the offer is good for 48 hours, it's too hard to explain but I'll give it a shot,.....

If you send the offer to 3 buyers, during that 48 hours, if one of the 3 unwatches and watches again, they'll be included in the "new watchers you send an offer to, after that initial 48 hours to the 3 watchers is passed" if that makes sense

I've had 3 watchers sent an offer, 2 new watchers in the 48 hour period, but when the 48 hours was up, I sent an offer again but it was to "3interested buyer's" instead of 2...

The only thing I can think of, is one of the 3 unwatched and then watched again....

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I will admit annoyance when I receive an offer from a seller and it's like 5% off. Seems pointless.

Well if it's an item in the thousands and considering the sales tax 5% discount may not be all that bad.  

I got this on a best offer a couple weeks ago. I've been tracking this issue on an eBay search for over a year, trying to locate a decent copy for a decent price.

I got an email from my search, and  I put this book in my watch list because it appeared undergraded, and additionally, it was priced well. 

I immediately (like the next day) got a reduced offer from the seller, which made me really look at the book, and consult with a boardie on estimated grade.  And, I went ahead and bought it at the offered price.

s-l1600.jpg

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think the offer is good for 48 hours, it's too hard to explain but I'll give it a shot,.....

If you send the offer to 3 buyers, during that 48 hours, if one of the 3 unwatches and watches again, they'll be included in the "new watchers you send an offer to, after that initial 48 hours to the 3 watchers is passed" if that makes sense

I've had 3 watchers sent an offer, 2 new watchers in the 48 hour period, but when the 48 hours was up, I sent an offer again but it was to "3interested buyer's" instead of 2...

The only thing I can think of, is one of the 3 unwatched and then watched again....

Yeah I get that but would you know how long before you can send another offer to the original group of watchers you had? 

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I get that but would you know how long before you can send another offer to the original group of watchers you had? 

No. Lol so far I've only got new watchers and most all the time the new offer goes to the new watchers, except the once it went to 1 person more than watchers I got new...

I think the answer is, you can no longer send an offer to buyers again, unless they watch and unwatch...

Of course there is no way to confirm, but lol

Best guess hahaha

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@MGsimba77 which is tricky, because I kept wanting to send offers on Monday, probably best to send on Friday when people get paid or have the weekend to see if someone else buys it first idk

I don't list very much by a long shot but the majority of my sales have been on Friday nights. I suppose maybe people have more time to waste lol get on Ebay or its because they get paid? But Fridays have been good!

Edited by MGsimba77

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I don't list very much by a long shot but the majority of my sales have been on Friday nights. I suppose maybe people have more time to waste lol get on Ebay or its because they get paid? But Fridays have been good!

I dont list often at all either, my sales often are on Sunday night. It's all good though, I look at my buying habits and it's pretty sporadic or hard to pin down too a set formula.

I had one being delivered today, but it's running late, I'm hoping, but if not today it'll be tomorrow  :)

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I got this on a best offer a couple weeks ago. I've been tracking this issue on an eBay search for over a year, trying to locate a decent copy for a decent price.

I got an email from my search, and  I put this book in my watch list because it appeared undergraded, and additionally, it was priced well. 

I immediately (like the next day) got a reduced offer from the seller, which made me really look at the book, and consult with a boardie on estimated grade.  And, I went ahead and bought it at the offered price.

Yeah, I've even put things on my watchlist, gotten an offer when I couldn't take it, dropped the comic from my watchlist, and added it back and gotten the same (or better) offer. Some sellers really like that feature, and I've picked up some nice deals that way on occasion.

5 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Yeah, I've even put things on my watchlist, gotten an offer when I couldn't take it, dropped the comic from my watchlist, and added it back and gotten the same (or better) offer. Some sellers really like that feature, and I've picked up some nice deals that way on occasion.

I will have to remember that, as I've gotten a couple that I would have taken, had I had the $....., 

5 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

@MGsimba77 can we say confirmed :sumo:

Haha

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Why doesnt the seller just lower the price to the "special offer" price? Well just lowering the price in the BIN listing wont kick out the special message/alert, and potential buyers might not notice the reduced price... 

There could be a number of reasons a seller doesn't want to just lower the price.  It may be that the seller doesn't want the sale to be "public" and wants to sell/dump a book while using eBay's veil of misinformation when it comes to sold listings.  Sure, that may be a niche case, but it's still valid, especially when the seller has multiple copies of a book available.

Also, lowering the BIN listing by 5% does actually trigger an email to all watchers.

I generally like this feature and will offer the lower price to watchers first (standard 48 hours), then lower the BIN price to the same level a few days later after the initial offer expires.  That way, as a seller, I send out two alerts to potential buyers.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I just sold something using this feature :acclaim:

Wait..., what??!?? :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Looks like I have 4 watchers on this thread. Can I send them an offer too?  hm

Did you get my tag in spare a grade forum about x-men 50 all say universal so far with the possible popped staple? Idk someone said it might change back after grading (thumbsu

As a buyer, I like the feature.  I've watched a number of items that had no OBO on it in the hopes that the seller would send me a lower offer.