• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay's "Send Offer" function...
3 3

74 posts in this topic

I use "send offer" quite a bit, for inventory that has been sitting for a while but has several "watchers". If I haven't received any offers, but the item has several people watching it, I know folks find it interesting, but maybe I'm a shade high (although I generally always price my items below the cheapest BIN price I can find.) Sometimes that extra $5 or $10 off in a sent offer will turn a watcher into a buyer, and I can move my inventory. I'm about turning stuff over moreso than getting top dollar for everything. Send Offer is just another tool. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Point Five said:

I noticed that ebay added this function, a year or so ago I think. If you have watchers on your BIN auctions, you can send them an unsolicited private offer lower than the BIN and see if they bite.

This seems... intrusive somehow? As sellers, do you use this function and successfully sell books with it? As buyers, if you receive offers like this out of the blue do they do anything but annoy you? Any input appreciated.

I don't sell comic books, but yes, the function has been successful for me.

As a buyer, I'm glad to receive an email that I've received an offer, even if I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

9 hours ago, electricprune said:

I've sold and purchased through the new system. I like it quite a bit. The only negative experience was when I was watching one of Lizard's books, and he sent me an offer that was 50% higher than his asking price. I ended up accepting the offer, but jeez...

Fake News (tsk)

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:04 PM, Point Five said:

I noticed that ebay added this function, a year or so ago I think. If you have watchers on your BIN auctions, you can send them an unsolicited private offer lower than the BIN and see if they bite.

This seems... intrusive somehow? As sellers, do you use this function and successfully sell books with it? As buyers, if you receive offers like this out of the blue do they do anything but annoy you? Any input appreciated.

I've bought from this at times. I don't find it intrusive at all. 

Sometimes I find it insulting when you get an offer of 2% off and it equates to 0.50p meh

6 minutes ago, bane said:

I've bought from this at times. I don't find it intrusive at all. 

Sometimes I find it insulting when you get an offer of 2% off and it equates to 0.50p meh

If it's 5% or less, I unwatch the item.  I'd rather they don't offer a discount at all.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

If it's 5% or less, I unwatch the item.  I'd rather they don't offer a discount at all.

7 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

You aren't allowed to send an offer less than 5%.

I forgot about that

I've gotten quite a few "private" offers as a buyer. Some didn't do much for me. Others I jump on immediately.

I was watching a book that had a BIN of $95. I watched it for a couple of months and the seller dropped it down to $75. Another month it dropped to $65 and I contemplated offering $52. Then I got an offer to buy it at $45. Sold.

What I'm not partial to is the "make an offer" on items that can also be bid on. I'm not going to go over the initial bid price. thinking the seller isn't going to want to go under the listed starting price.

5 minutes ago, evilskip said:

What I'm not partial to is the "make an offer" on items that can also be bid on. I'm not going to go over the initial bid price. thinking the seller isn't going to want to go under the listed starting price.

I made an offer to a seller with that feature turned on at the starting bid price, and he rejected it. The auction is still live, with no bids, so let's see if I'm still interested when the auction closes in a couple days. 

Separately, an item was listed yesterday with a starting bid of $150 or best offer. I saw it and immediately offered $200, which the seller accepted. I was fine with that price. Maybe I could have just bid and won for $150 a week later but I didn't want to risk it. 

Conclusion: I like that bid or best offer feature. I think I just like having options as a buyer. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Point Five said:

As a seller I have seen it work from time to time so it is worth it to me to send an offer out.   It tends to work with items that have a large number of watchers as the potential buyers are well aware of the competition.   If I send out an offer I do not negotiate any further though.  It is what it is. 

As a buyer though, I have jumped on a few of them.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

As a seller I have seen it work from time to time so it is worth it to me to send an offer out.   It tends to work with items that have a large number of watchers as the potential buyers are well aware of the competition.   If I send out an offer I do not negotiate any further though.  It is what it is. 

As a buyer though, I have jumped on a few of them.

Buzz sent one to the enhancer lady lol 

2 hours ago, kav said:

Buzz sent one to the enhancer lady lol 

Noooo

Because that would have allowed her to initiate contact again if she was watching the item.  So what I did was end it and then completely create it in a new listing.... not a simple relist.   Screw her.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Noooo

Because that would have allowed her to initiate contact again if she was watching the item.  So what I did was end it and then completely create it in a new listing.... not a simple relist.   Screw her.

hopefully you listed it as a single item as she wanted and also put in lsiting 'trades considered'.

1 minute ago, kav said:

hopefully you listed it as a single item as she wanted and also put in lsiting 'trades considered'.

I don't you can offer that on eBay

In her case I am not looking to troll her.  I am looking to make sure that I do not do business with her.  I have zero patience for her entitlement. 

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't you can offer that on eBay

In her case I am not looking to troll her.  I am looking to make sure that I do not do business with her.  I have zero patience for her entitlement. 

she's entitled to her entitlement!!! :makepoint: