• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

My main run (all blue label) is not graded much higher:

#27 4.0

#28 5.5

#29 5.0

#30 5.5

#31 5.0

#32 6.5

#33 5.0

#34 6.5

#35 3.0

#36 6.5

#37 6.5

Most impressive George,especially the 28 (worship) oh and the 27 is kinda neat :insane:

I always liked how Wim Mortimer depicted Cleopatra as black. In the 1963 film with Elizabeth Tayor in the starring role she was white as can be. Of course, Mortimer's decision may have caused some controversy back then and just perhaps, may have affected sales of the book. Remember, these were still the days of Jim Crow Laws in the South, lynchings in various Southern counties and the Civil Rights Movement really wasn't in full swing just yet. Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott were still 5 years in the future.

Does anybody think I'm reading too much into this? Perhaps? Perhaps Not?

I always liked how Wim Mortimer depicted Cleopatra as black. In the 1963 film with Elizabeth Tayor in the starring role she was white as can be. Of course, Mortimer's decision may have caused some controversy back then and just perhaps, may have affected sales of the book. Remember, these were still the days of Jim Crow Laws in the South, lynchings in various Southern counties and the Civil Rights Movement really wasn't in full swing just yet. Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott were still 5 years in the future.

Does anybody think I'm reading too much into this? Perhaps? Perhaps Not?

Yea but Wim was wrong then. Cleopatra was part of the Ptolemy dynasty (Which was Greek-maedonian). She had dark hair and light eyes and barely spoke Egyptian (always needed a translator). The Greek-Macedonian dynasty ruled Egypt till Julius' time. There is no disputing these facts (history was a major for me- - have a huge library , nearly 1,000 books on Greek and Roman history

As for politics , I don't care and don't get involved

Interesting. Althought I too enjoy history, my knowledge of ancient history is limited. I do know that there was something called a Kush Dynasty; in fact I was forced to teach one year of ancient history at the sixth-grade level. The Kush peoples were located near Egypt and had dark complexions. Is there a connection here. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge; perhaps you can enlighten us even further.

Steve

As for politics , I don't care and don't get involved

Interesting. Althought I too enjoy history, my knowledge of ancient history is limited. I do know that there was something called a Kush Dynasty; in fact I was forced to teach one year of ancient history at the sixth-grade level. The Kush peoples were located near Egypt and had dark complexions. Is there a connection here. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge; perhaps you can enlighten us even further.

Steve

Oh, I don't think it's a political issue as much as a concern for social justice. I believe there is a difference.

What's the point you are trying to make between the kush and the Ptolemys?

I know of the hindu kush, and actually I started reading about the indo-European invasion of India and their wars with the dravidians (The natives), basically the vedas, very interesting. I don't know how this got into the tec thread but we could continue this on a history forum where it really belongs.

What's the point you are trying to make between the kush and the Ptolemys?

I know of the hindu kush, and actually I started reading about the indo-European invasion of India and their wars with the dravidians (The natives), basically the vedas, very interesting. I don't know how this got into the tec thread but we could continue this on a history forum where it really belongs.

PM Sent--