• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

You bet I read it. I read them all. I keep most of my books raw so I can thumb them up, smell them, and re-read them every chance I get.

:cloud9:

bill and I thumbed that tec 27 up together, for the first time, if I recall

Wow just an awesome array of books! Nice pick-up on the Tec 34 and 37 Bat-Man. Keep it up with those tecs!

Just to make things clear, I am trying to do a run of Tecs 27-37 Batman covers only. As you can see from my mini group shot, all I need is a 27 and 31 (#27 is out of my range right now, but hopefully in a few years I can be able to buy one unrestored or restored).

Thanks!

Nice run your putting together! That will be a feat when you complete it!

As for me right now my goal is a run of Tec 28-37. I will some day get a 27, but want to complete 28-37 first, and then go for the 27.

And I still have a bunch to go. Only have #'s 31,32,33,34 and 37. But my 32 and my 33 I consider to be fillers which I will hopefully upgrade in the near future.

The Tec run of the Pre-Robins is my favorite run as I am sure it is yours as well!

You bet I read it. I read them all. I keep most of my books raw so I can thumb them up, smell them, and re-read them every chance I get.

:cloud9:

bill and I thumbed that tec 27 up together, for the first time, if I recall

:whee:

Wow. I truly envy you guys. To me that is the end all be all. Reading a real Tec 27, where one of the most iconic figures in pop culture began 70 years ago. I hope to one day do the same. I know it is cheesey but just hearing about y'all reading one gives me goosebumps and that really is the ultimate thing I feel a batman collector can ever do. Woah.

To you guys, I truly salute you! ^^

Here is my last Detective Pre-Robin I will post for the time being. Need to get better pics and a NEW camera. Some how my wonderful brother borrowed it and broke it. So all I got is this iphone to take pics with (only 3 mp). Enough rambling -

Detective Comics #37 CGC 1.0

IMG_0993.jpg

I bought this from Yannis when he was upgrading his (and I think his new Tec 37 will be a 2.0-2.5 when graded :applause:).

Edit - I deleted a pic (I double inserted the same pic)

Sweet! :headbang:

(Lemme know if you ever upgrade.) :gossip:

Bill, absolutely amazing collection and it's really something else to have ever owned one of them let alone ALL of those monster books. I still daydream about the possibility of ever owning a 1.0 copy of Batman 1 but am pretty sure that's a pipedream.

And Speedy-D, for what it's worth, I like that cover--the old school batmobile is one I always liked. I had a few opportunities on a Batman 20, but passed--don't think that'll happen again ;) Thanks for sharing!

Bats in general are my favorite, but you are right, the early Detectives are the best of the best. Excpet for Batman #1 that is, which is my all-time favorite book. Hands down, no contest.

Really? How come? Tec 27 has such a cool cover!

Bats in general are my favorite, but you are right, the early Detectives are the best of the best. Excpet for Batman #1 that is, which is my all-time favorite book. Hands down, no contest.

I have to admit - Batman #1 has got some of the best stories in it of all time. I love Batman #1. The whole book is incredible, you are correct! My personal favorite part is the end of the last story where Joker "dies." The classic line by Batman. Batman to Robin when Joker "dies." - "he delt his last hand and lost. And when the flesh rots from the bones the smile on his face will still echo on into eternity."

Don't think I have the wording just right. But man that last line gave me chills when I first read it. An absolute classic book with stories that deserve to be in Batman #1.

I also love the story in Batman #1 that was meant originally for Tec #38 but got bumped. I like that its the final GA solo Batman and he kills giants in it!

Man I need to get myself a real copy of Batman #1 someday and stop reading my DC archives reprints!

Sort of embarrassing to throw this up here after all those awesome pre-Robins, but...

My GA collection is still in its infancy, and this is my only 'Tec thus far:

detective_156.jpg

Everyone has to begin somewhere with the GA Tecs. I remember my first GA Tec. It was Detective Comics #117. It was in G (2.5) raw and I have still got it!

I have to admit - Batman #1 has got some of the best stories in it of all time. I love Batman #1. The whole book is incredible, you are correct! My personal favorite part is the end of the last story where Joker "dies." The classic line by Batman. Batman to Robin when Joker "dies." - "he delt his last hand and lost. And when the flesh rots from the bones the smile on his face will still echo on into eternity."

Don't think I have the wording just right. But man that last line gave me chills when I first read it. An absolute classic book with stories that deserve to be in Batman #1.

I also love the story in Batman #1 that was meant originally for Tec #38 but got bumped. I like that its the final GA solo Batman and he kills giants in it!

Man I need to get myself a real copy of Batman #1 someday and stop reading my DC archives reprints!

Me too

Here is my last Detective Pre-Robin I will post for the time being. Need to get better pics and a NEW camera. Some how my wonderful brother borrowed it and broke it. So all I got is this iphone to take pics with (only 3 mp). Enough rambling -

Detective Comics #37 CGC 1.0

IMG_0993.jpg

I bought this from Yannis when he was upgrading his (and I think his new Tec 37 will be a 2.0-2.5 when graded :applause:).

Edit - I deleted a pic (I double inserted the same pic)

Sweet! :headbang:

(Lemme know if you ever upgrade.) :gossip:

Thanks - Love the full moon dock cover.

(Okay :wishluck:)

Me too

:headbang:

:o

Obviously sir, you are a man of taste and distinction. Your stock is soaring in my eyes right now!!

As you've learned, I read my GA comics, and Batman #1 is the best read of the GA. You get so much more bang for your buck than with Tec 27, Action 1, AA 16, Adventure 40, etc

First appearance of the most important villain in comics history, Joker. First appearance of, in all likelihood, the most important female villain in comics history, Catwoman.

Add that to the fact that it is the #1 issue of one of the three most recognized superhero characters in the world and you have quite a bit of comic book and pop culture history all rolled into one issue!

The Timely equivalent is Cap #1, a book I am very, very fond of. But Cap is Cap. We all love him, but most people in the world have no idea who he is. Everyone knows who Batman is.

Superman #1? Not even close. Only new ground mined there was the single superhero theme in one comic (inevitable with the sales on Action Comics), and pin-up back cover. Otherwise it is pretty much a reprint with a couple new pages tossed in for ballast.

So while I love Tec 27 - 40 very much and hope to have most of them again one day, my grail is, and always will be Batman #1

:luhv:

:o

Obviously sir, you are a man of taste and distinction. Your stock is soaring in my eyes right now!!

As you've learned, I read my GA comics, and Batman #1 is the best read of the GA. You get so much more bang for your buck than with Tec 27, Action 1, AA 16, Adventure 40, etc

First appearance of the most important villain in comics history, Joker. First appearance of, in all likelihood, the most important female villain in comics history, Catwoman.

Add that to the fact that it is the #1 issue of one of the three most recognized superhero characters in the world and you have quite a bit of comic book and pop culture history all rolled into one issue!

The Timely equivalent is Cap #1, a book I am very, very fond of. But Cap is Cap. We all love him, but most people in the world have no idea who he is. Everyone knows who Batman is.

Superman #1? Not even close. Only new ground mined there was the single superhero theme in one comic (inevitable with the sales on Action Comics), and pin-up back cover. Otherwise it is pretty much a reprint with a couple new pages tossed in for ballast.

So while I love Tec 27 - 40 very much and hope to have most of them again one day, my grail is, and always will be Batman #1

you ought to just cut and paste from one of your CBG articles :baiting:

Damn, good case. You guys are making me want one. :frustrated:

I think I have an extra Treasury edition;) :baiting:

I think I have an extra Treasury edition;) :baiting:

Thanks Sha, but I was looking for a regular-sized edition.

Can you trim it down a bit? (shrug)