• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Glad I have a copy :)

And a darn fine one at that! (thumbs u

#35 is pretty much tied now for favorite cover with my favorite cover #31. Once I land a 35 I will be happy. Hoping to find one in at least a 2.0 but hopefully better like a 2.5 (like my 31) or a 3.0. Also hoping to find one that does not destroy the bank. Haha.

I dunno about not destroying the bank lol

So true. haha.

Bats in general are my favorite, but you are right, the early Detectives are the best of the best. Excpet for Batman #1 that is, which is my all-time favorite book. Hands down, no contest.

I'm not going to argue with Batman #1's first place slot, thanks in large part to the significance of the characters it introduced, but in terms of enjoyability, a very good underrated book (cover-to-cover) in my mind is the 1939 NY World's Fair.

I have heard others speak fondly of it but I've never held one. What makes it special to you?

Every story is actually written with the Fair in mind. Clark & Lois are covering the Fair as reporters when Lois gets kidnapped, Slam Bradley breaks up a gang of crooks on the NY fairgrounds, Zatara's at the Fair, hell, even Bob Kane's Ginger Snap has a humorous adventure at the Fair. The book has a really nice flow to it, it seems like a great slice of life from that time period, plus you get the first ever Sandman story by Gardner Fox and poor Bert Christman.

It's a great read, and a reasonably significant book. Yeah, it's cold as ice in the marketplace, but I'm a fan.

Bats in general are my favorite, but you are right, the early Detectives are the best of the best. Excpet for Batman #1 that is, which is my all-time favorite book. Hands down, no contest.

I'm not going to argue with Batman #1's first place slot, thanks in large part to the significance of the characters it introduced, but in terms of enjoyability, a very good underrated book (cover-to-cover) in my mind is the 1939 NY World's Fair.

I have heard others speak fondly of it but I've never held one. What makes it special to you?

Every story is actually written with the Fair in mind. Clark & Lois are covering the Fair as reporters when Lois gets kidnapped, Slam Bradley breaks up a gang of crooks on the NY fairgrounds, Zatara's at the Fair, hell, even Bob Kane's Ginger Snap has a humorous adventure at the Fair. The book has a really nice flow to it, it seems like a great slice of life from that time period, plus you get the first ever Sandman story by Gardner Fox and poor Bert Christman.

It's a great read, and a reasonably significant book. Yeah, it's cold as ice in the marketplace, but I'm a fan.

Win, have those stories ever been reprinted?

Sounds like a great read and one of the reasons I enjoy the Fantom of the Fair stories so much.

Ah! Gotcha. I'm begging and harassing Chandler to put together a signing with Jerry Robinson (since he's usually able to signings set up with almost everyone) and this is one I was thinking of having done (since I have a Siegel signed 9.8 Action 1 reprint). Might see what I can find hm

Same is true of the 1940 book. Love it to death.

Ah! Gotcha. I'm begging and harassing Chandler to put together a signing with Jerry Robinson (since he's usually able to signings set up with almost everyone) and this is one I was thinking of having done (since I have a Siegel signed 9.8 Action 1 reprint). Might see what I can find hm

Nice item.

And you want to get a Tec 27 reprint signed by Jerry Robinson?

If I could ever find a Tec 27 reprint (or any GA book) signed by Bob Kane (who past in 1998) and it could be proven authentic I would be thrilled. One piece I would like to add to my collection.

I have a CGC SS Tec 109 signed by Jerry Robinson (which I just bought from a board member)

Edited by Bat-Man

Win, have those stories ever been reprinted?

Sounds like a great read and one of the reasons I enjoy the Fantom of the Fair stories so much.

Yeah, it's reprinted in its entirety in The DC Comics Rarities Archives, Vol. 1. Amazon link

Thanks for the review and the link. (thumbs u

Nice item.

If I could ever find a Tec 27 reprint (or any GA book) signed by Bob Kane (who past in 1998) and it could be proven authentic I would be thrilled. One piece I would like to add to my collection.

I have a CGC SS Tec 109 signed by Jerry Robinson (which I just bought from a board member)

Exactly. Especially since the Oreo Reprint has elements from Tec 38 and Batman 1--all with direct Robinson work in them--all the more appropriate. I also have a few other books I want to send in to Chandler if he can arrange this singing session as well.

There are a few Bob Kane signed books for sale verified by Dynamic Forces (where my Action 1 was verified), and I'm thinking about getting one of these eventually. Even though Bob was as shady a businessman as he was... I still can't help but want his signature. Regardless of his questionable ethics in some areas, he was still the guy who engineered the Batman mythos (probably a FAR more appropriate term than created as he wasn't the sole participant in his creation, but he certainly was the mover behind Batman becoming who he did).

Nice item.

Exactly. Especially since the Oreo Reprint has elements from Tec 38 and Batman 1--all with direct Robinson work in them--all the more appropriate. I also have a few other books I want to send in to Chandler if he can arrange this singing session as well.

There are a few Bob Kane signed books for sale verified by Dynamic Forces (where my Action 1 was verified), and I'm thinking about getting one of these eventually. Even though Bob was as shady a businessman as he was... I still can't help but want his signature. Regardless of his questionable ethics in some areas, he was still the guy who engineered the Batman mythos (probably a FAR more appropriate term than created as he wasn't the sole participant in his creation, but he certainly was the mover behind Batman becoming who he did).

Yeah it would be very nice.

And I won't get into my feelings toward Kane right now. But if you read my fan view of Batman 1 a page over I purposely listed him last.

Anyway Bob Kane is the co-creator of Batman - and I love his art. For that I would love to have his signature.

I really like the vanilla oreos...given I am alergic to chocalate, it was about time nabisco stopped discriminating

Wow allergic to chocolate? :P

And I fully agree its about time the white oreo was treated as an equal. :roflmao:

I really like the vanilla oreos...given I am alergic to chocalate, it was about time nabisco stopped discriminating

And I fully agree its about time the white oreo was treated as an equal. :roflmao:

Thank you for kindly correcting his spelling errors without pointing them out.

Thank you for kindly correcting his spelling errors without pointing them out.

C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E