• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

tec44f.jpg

hello all...

as most know, my first love is Detective comics, so I am trying to keep this thread alive with recent aquisitions....once I have all books in my possession (27-53) , I will post all in a nice group shot...but for now, one by one smile.gif

rick

tecnew.jpg

hello all...

some recent additions this week...unfortunately, 2 of them won't be with me long (the 31 is for a customer and one of the #30's I hope to use in a future trade)...

want to thank Jay from the boards here (http://www.jkcomics.homestead.com/) for the great #30 and 40 tec's (also got a sweet bat 37 from him) and the raw 43 and 30 are from the Dentist's ebay auctions last week....the 31 is from Robert on the boards (www.blbcomics.com), but is likely heading to a friend/customer of mine...

rick

tecnew.jpg

hello all...

some recent additions this week...unfortunately, 2 of them won't be with me long (the 31 is for a customer and one of the #30's I hope to use in a future trade)...

want to thank Jay from the boards here (http://www.jkcomics.homestead.com/) for the great #30 and 40 tec's (also got a sweet bat 37 from him) and the raw 43 and 30 are from the Dentist's ebay auctions last week....the 31 is from Robert on the boards (www.blbcomics.com), but is likely heading to a friend/customer of mine...

rick

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I'm soo jealous of your collection!?!? Why can't I have gorgeous books like that??? If your buyer for the Tec 31 doesnt push through, please notify me immediately smile.gif

tecnew.jpg

hello all...

rick

hail.gifhail.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That TEC 31 looks to be in real nice condition NewForce. What's the grade? Restored? You've certainly assembled some great books over the past few months. thumbsup2.gif

If that's the Detective 31 that Bob had earlier this year, it has quite a bit of work done to it. I looked at it in person at WonderCon earlier this year. Still, a very nice looking book though.

That TEC 31 looks to be in real nice condition NewForce. What's the grade? Restored? You've certainly assembled some great books over the past few months. thumbsup2.gif

If that's the Detective 31 that Bob had earlier this year, it has quite a bit of work done to it. I looked at it in person at WonderCon earlier this year. Still, a very nice looking book though.

hello all...

The Tec 31 is a "pending" purchase from Bob for a customer of ours...I am sending the book to be inspected, and based on Matt Nelson's screening of the amount of Restoration, will determine final sale. I am no expert, so I am going to let the expert determine. Bob disclosed that there was slight color touch to the back cover, and that was all he could determine had been done to it. My customer for the book is aware of conditions surrounding the book, so hopefully all will be good.

thanks

rick

Let us know. I'm no expert either but the variation in color tones near spine and just the look of the book makes me think more was done... but as I say I know jack about it. But I'd be curious to find out what the final result is. Gorgeous book whatever the case is smile.gif

How did you know it may have possible restoration work?

Because, as I said, if it is the same one Bob had earlier this year, it has quite a bit of work done to it. I inspected the book in person.

Because, as I said, if it is the same one Bob had earlier this year, it has quite a bit of work done to it. I inspected the book in person.

I'm pretty sure its the same book you inspected earlier this year.. Im wondering then why Bob would say it had slight color touch on the spine? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm pretty sure its the same book you inspected earlier this year.. Im wondering then why Bob would say it had slight color touch on the spine? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The book I saw had moderate restoration disclosed. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have had two Tec 31 issues in the past year up for sale - both VF looking, both with resto, the earlier one had more work done on it than the one currently pending with Rick.

Both came from a fellow who had 5 copies as he upgraded over time. Same fellow has half a dozen WEIRD #1 and at least that many copies of Submariner #1 - these three being his favorite Gold books.

That said, this newer Tec 31 is a beaut, has color work done on the back along the spine as i think it had a slight spine roll pressed out many moons ago. Paper is supple, the inside covers are white

People have gotten confused who looked at my earlier copy - we'll see what Matt sez

hello all...

I thank Bob for posting here...as mentioned, not only am I not an expert on restoration detection, I am not even a novice smile.gif, so I will defer to the experts and post results here!

thanks

rick

any body can become expert enough to detect 95% of all resto simply by buying a black light bulb at Walmart for $4, turn off the other lights and shine the black light onto your comic book. Go get a bankers lamp, those desk models with the green glass "shade"

That said, i had input from Bill Sarill back in the 1970s to check for work done on comic books, so i can detect most stuff done so full disclosure to the best of my ability is what i try to do

As far as i could tell, i could see nothing on the front cover of this Tec 31, and saw light coloring on the back cover - up & down the spine - couldn't tell why it was done, as there is nothing wrong with the book - so i am guessing on a very slight spine roll pressed out and any back cover color break due to a spine roll covered up, back in the day when this type of work was considered an enhancement

any body can become expert enough to detect 95% of all resto simply by buying a black light bulb at Walmart for $4, turn off the other lights and shine the black light onto your comic book. Go get a bankers lamp, those desk models with the green glass "shade"

That said, i had input from Bill Sarill back in the 1970s to check for work done on comic books, so i can detect most stuff done so full disclosure to the best of my ability is what i try to do

As far as i could tell, i could see nothing on the front cover of this Tec 31, and saw light coloring on the back cover - up & down the spine - couldn't tell why it was done, as there is nothing wrong with the book - so i am guessing on a very slight spine roll pressed out and any back cover color break due to a spine roll covered up, back in the day when this type of work was considered an enhancement

But I live in the SF Bay Area, where none of the local neighborhood groups or political figures will allow them to put a Walmart nearby. Does this mean I'm screwed when it comes to detecting restoration? 893whatthe.gif

Just kidding.

On a more serious note, there is a good thread HERE about detecting restoration. Lots of good stuff in that thread.

But I live in the SF Bay Area, where none of the local neighborhood groups or political figures will allow them to put a Walmart nearby. Does this mean I'm screwed when it comes to detecting restoration? 893whatthe.gif

Just kidding.

On a more serious note, there is a good thread HERE about detecting restoration. Lots of good stuff in that thread.

yea, you might be paying $5 instead insane.gif

that said, i believe that is what most resto guys initially use to check for all the easy stuff

any type of painting or sprays will glow in the black light - it all shows up