• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Ill let you know why its only a 6.5 when I get it.Im exspecting something negitive because the cover looks like a 9.0.

The cover looks very bright however the scan shows a small piece out at the Riddlers bottom left foot. There also looks like a faint diagonal bottom right corner crease. A nice copy at a reasonable price thumbsup2.gif

My experience is you turn off/tune out all other light sources so just the black light bulb gets all the attention form your retinas - anything layered onto a book should usually then stand out -

There are a few things to consider that a black light will not reveal..

What about black color touch that doesn't show up?

What about rice paper?

What about trimming?

What about switched covers and wraps?

What about disassembly or cleaned/replaced staples?

What about cleaned covers?

I may still be missing a couple...

Ill let you know why its only a 6.5 when I get it.Im exspecting something negitive because the cover looks like a 9.0.

hello all..

congrats action1kid...

this book was available after the Heritage August auction at $1595?, i believe (might have been a little more, but I remember it was priced attractively), as a "buy it now"...I passed on it because of the chunk missing under the riddler's foot (as someone pointed out)...but, a desirable book, none the less...

rick

My experience is you turn off/tune out all other light sources so just the black light bulb gets all the attention form your retinas - anything layered onto a book should usually then stand out -

What about rice paper?

What about trimming?

My experience with black light sez one can detect any black color touch, any color which is not printed, but then again, i might know what to look for

Rice paper is easy to detect - and usually is always covered over by painting on it, otherwise it stands out like a sore thumb

trimming is not restoration - it is desecration

switched coves & wraps: ya got me there, white man

Replaced staples or switched ones: falls in that 5% a black light will not reveal

cleaned covers: again, the 5% factor revealed

Black light reveals most restoration, it is not the be-all, end-all, nor did i imply that on any level

But one would start with a black light and move forwards from there, wouldn't you agree?

What about rice paper?

What about trimming?

My experience with black light sez one can detect any black color touch, any color which is not printed, but then again, i might know what to look for

Rice paper is easy to detect - and usually is always covered over by painting on it, otherwise it stands out like a sore thumb

Replaced staples or switched ones: falls in that 5% a black light will not reveal

Black light reveals most restoration, it is not the be-all, end-all, nor did i imply that on any level

But one would start with a black light and move forwards from there, wouldn't you agree?

UV will usually reveal Japan paper (rice paper). Of course, examination in normal spectrum light will also reveal Japan paper. It's not hard to spot.

UV does not reveal all kinds of color touch.

My personal opinion is that people are much better off learning how to spot restoration using bright, normal spectrum light and close examination than they are in expecting a UV light to make everything jump out at them.

I've posted my 'Tec #1 more than a few times, but I don't think I've shown my #2 yet:

detective2.jpg

In my opinion Detective # 2 AND # 3 are the tuffest in the intire Detective run !

You know, having been working on pre-Batman Detectives for a while, I'd have to say the the issues in the #20's before #27 (particularly 24, 25 and 26) are pretty challenging as well.

Most of the others are pretty doable if you've got the cash; the tricky part comes in not wanting to spend too much yet still complete the run. Pre-Batman 'Tecs command some pretty sick prices sometimes, especially compared to pre-Sandman Adventures (which I view as even more scarce with some awesome covers).

What about rice paper?

What about trimming?

UV will usually reveal Japan paper (rice paper). Of course, examination in normal spectrum light will also reveal Japan paper. It's not hard to spot.

UV does not reveal all kinds of color touch.

My personal opinion is that people are much better off learning how to spot restoration using bright, normal spectrum light and close examination than they are in expecting a UV light to make everything jump out at them.

I agree here as well - black light will reveal most, but not all, work done on a book - which is why i said 95% - beyond that, consult an expert, of which i do not claim not be in the slightest.

But ever since Bill Sarill began his quest back in the early 1970s to get all the magic tape off spine that Stan Lee told us all to apply to all our comic books as a preemptive strike against damaging the spines of your comic books in a Stan's Soap Box in i think it was 1968, the concepts in and around restoration have taken quantum leaps in what gets done to any given book