• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foggy Plastic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I recently bought a CGC 6.5 X-men 12 slab off of eBay that is in really great shape. However, at certain angles I noticed that parts of the plastic near the bottom of the case have gotten slightly cloudy or foggy. It’s not that noticeable but it still bugs me when I see it. I found a home remedy online that people use to clean foggy headlights, where they mix a 50/50 ratio of white vinegar and water to polish the plastic to become clear again. I was curious if anyone has had a similar experience and if a mixture like that would be safe to use on the plastic of a CGC slab? My primary concern would be that the solution would be too acidic, causing the plastic to degrade. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Pics would help, me anyway, as this is a new concern to me :foryou: 

2 minutes ago, Galactic_Gnar_Destroyer said:

Hey guys, so I recently bought a CGC 6.5 X-men 12 slab off of eBay that is in really great shape. However, at certain angles I noticed that parts of the plastic near the bottom of the case have gotten slightly cloudy or foggy. It’s not that noticeable but it still bugs me when I see it. I found a home remedy online that people use to clean foggy headlights, where they mix a 50/50 ratio of white vinegar and water to polish the plastic to become clear again. I was curious if anyone has had a similar experience and if a mixture like that would be safe to use on the plastic of a CGC slab? My primary concern would be that the solution would be too acidic, causing the plastic to degrade. Any advice would be much appreciated!

So it was hard to get a good picture of what I’m talking about because like I said, it’s really not that noticeable. But now that I know it’s there, it’s going to annoy me. 

The foggy parts almost look like 3 finger prints in a triangle shape on the Juggernaut’s a**. And I’m fairly certain they’re not on the book itself.

95F3B896-0C58-4D7F-BF6B-B5325795CA20.jpeg

Edited by Galactic_Gnar_Destroyer

I'm not food with substances with plastic maybe @F For Fake could help or perhaps @Buzzetta, they clean up Joe's the GI kind, and maybe they have experienced it.

Doesn't sound too acidic to me, but I thought the go to was a mixture of hydrogen peroxide...not sure

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not food with substances with plastic maybe @F For Fake could help or perhaps @Buzzetta, they clean up Joe's the GI kind, and maybe they have experienced it.

Doesn't sound too acidic to me, but I thought the go to was a mixture of hydrogen peroxide...not sure

Appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'd defer to the smarter guys. I use Meguairs Plast-X to clear up scuffs on toy windshields and the like, but I'd hesitate to try it on a slab.

I wouldn't put chemicals near the books even if its on the slab the potential damage that could happen to the book I wouldn't risk it. If it bothers you a lot and your going to spend money on trying to clean the slab I suggest just doing a re-holder submission and get a new slab.

Why risk future or longer term damage to a book or smells getting trapped inside as the slab is not air tight or water proof.

53 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not brown, so it probably isn't an encapsulated fart.

If it was, imagine the CGC staff members face when they cracked it open for reholdering :eek:

393817676_tenor(4).gif.19c7f4926d36c05d98608faad436ea2f.gif