• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,335 posts in this topic

You know if Stan had more interest in the Timely-Atlas-Marvel humor books he held some  great talents at a given time to draw them. In the 1950’s he held people like Dan DeCarlo, Al Jaffee, Howie Post and others. Basil Wolverton and Harvey Kurtzman were there too until the late 1940’s. Can you imagine a Timely-Atlas humor line to revival Harvey or Archie if they had writers/titles to match the above skill sets and actually focused on that line?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, N e r V said:

You know if Stan had more interest in the Timely-Atlas-Marvel humor books he held some  great talents at a given time to draw them. In the 1950’s he held people like Dan DeCarlo, Al Jaffee, Howie Post and others. Basil Wolverton and Harvey Kurtzman were there too until the late 1940’s. Can you imagine a Timely-Atlas humor line to revival Harvey or Archie if they had writers/titles to match the above skill sets and actually focused on that line?

I completely agree! There's seemed more of a "dabbling" attempt, just throwing a few titles out there to represent that genre in the marketplace. Al Jaffee did a LOT of the Timely funny animal books in the 40's as I recall with Dan DeCarlo doing more of the 50s books. I have some from that area, but it's been forever since I've taken the time to leaf through them. Here are a couple of raw and a slabbed copy. I need to look through these again very soon! 

Homer the Happy Ghost 5 raw.jpg

Homer the Happy Ghost 18.jpg

Homer the Happy Ghost 21 5.0 ow-w.jpg

That issue of Patsy has this approval in it from Dr. Jean Thompson.

3B31801D-5378-484F-8C2B-32028FCFC1E8.thumb.jpeg.e0bea8878b527d94ed562da00046115e.jpeg

So I am familiar with the other previous editorials Timely-Marvel ran in the late 1940’s (see this site to see them: http://www.lostsoti.org/moreanticomics.htm ) but any Timely-Atlas experts here have more info on the Dr. Jean Thompson and the way it all came about as a very early reaction to the comics causing unrest with some? That site has a lot of info but didn’t see much on the doctor.

On 10/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, N e r V said:

That issue of Patsy has this approval in it from Dr. Jean Thompson.

3B31801D-5378-484F-8C2B-32028FCFC1E8.thumb.jpeg.e0bea8878b527d94ed562da00046115e.jpeg

So I am familiar with the other previous editorials Timely-Marvel ran in the late 1940’s (see this site to see them: http://www.lostsoti.org/moreanticomics.htm ) but any Timely-Atlas experts here have more info on the Dr. Jean Thompson and the way it all came about as a very early reaction to the comics causing unrest with some? That site has a lot of info but didn’t see much on the doctor.

Is this the pic you meant to put up ….?

On 11/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, Scrooge said:

Love it.

Finally got a copy of this one myself -

1538507864_Battlefield11.thumb.jpg.6a955f78ad9bd5db338d5bf8ebcaf5e7.jpg

One of Heath's all time greats.