• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

That's a great issue. RQ Sale has a place in the comic kingdom all to himself. His run on Combat Casey was :cloud9:.

This should probably be a post all by itself, but I just can't wait. I'm soooo excited about this book. There's a local quarterly show down here that never has anything of much note. I usually walk out with something just for the effort of going. Today, I found the #1 Atlas book on my list. There was another book I reeeeaaally wanted, but not at 6X guide (!) (not an Atlas book). I think this is one of the top 3-5 Heath covers, and I've never seen a decent copy.

Great story Buttock, and an awesome book.

Mike

....the start of the brief resurrection...

I think of these Atlas superhero books as the last gasp of the GA, but some people believe that this book is the first real SA comic.

Very nice copy.

Mike

....the start of the brief resurrection...

I think of these Atlas superhero books as the last gasp of the GA, but some people believe that this book is the first real SA comic.

Very nice copy.

Mike

I think of them as a Atomic Age super-hero's. (shrug)

Wow what a brutal story!

The panels with the dead grafted arm and the lampshade were over the top! :o

Thanks for posting it Buttock. Sad thing is, things like this happened back then. :(

Wow what a brutal story!

The panels with the dead grafted arm and the lampshade were over the top! :o

Thanks for posting it Buttock. Sad thing is, things like this happened back then. :(

Yeah, and now! They just found another mass grave in Iraq.

Here are some of the later issues of BATTLE - at the twilight of the Atlas era. These issues contain some great and rare Kirby and Ditko war stories.

Bill

BATTLE_63.jpg

BATTLE_64.jpg

BATTLE_68.jpg

BATTLE_69.jpg

BATTLE_70.jpg

I don't own any examples of Battle (#62/Feb59 to #70/Jun60) from the period I consider very early Marvel. These are five beautiful examples and a fine representative collection. The main figure on #70 bears more than a passing resemblance to Fury and to Kirby, himself.

Thanks for the postings.

Nothing new to show but a request:

anyone owns a copy of Lovers # 40 and Man # 28 they can post?

On Saturday, I met up with Tom, one of the Uber Atlas Indexers around to see his collection: about a 60% complete Timely / Atlas / Marvel collection running from 1939 to 1967. In 5 hours, we only had time to skim the surface of 5 long boxes out of 17 long boxes of nothing but Atlas books :cloud9: As they say 1,000 down, 2,500 to go :P Man, do things get clearer when you've got all the material in front of your eyes. We had a blast!! While pawing through his books, the two issues above jumped out of the batch. Lovers # 40 is the loveliest Hartley cover you'll ever see. Really top notch work. Man # 28, meanwhile, is the last issue of the run after Bob Brant and the Trouble Shooters took over the title for the last 3 issues. The cover is whimsy fun with a mummy. Just lovely. Can't wait for April to come around for my next trip to Tom's. :banana:

Here's Man 28 for you:

man28.jpg

:applause::) Thank you. I like the cover. Nice black background, some good action and in each of the 3 covers in that group I like finding where the mascot is. Check it out by the mummy leg. Nice Egyptian motif as well. It just looks like a fun book. Thanks. (thumbs u

Nothing new to show but a request:

anyone owns a copy of Lovers # 40 and Man # 28 they can post?

On Saturday, I met up with Tom, one of the Uber Atlas Indexers around to see his collection: about a 60% complete Timely / Atlas / Marvel collection running from 1939 to 1967. In 5 hours, we only had time to skim the surface of 5 long boxes out of 17 long boxes of nothing but Atlas books :cloud9: As they say 1,000 down, 2,500 to go :P Man, do things get clearer when you've got all the material in front of your eyes. We had a blast!! While pawing through his books, the two issues above jumped out of the batch. Lovers # 40 is the loveliest Hartley cover you'll ever see. Really top notch work. Man # 28, meanwhile, is the last issue of the run after Bob Brant and the Trouble Shooters took over the title for the last 3 issues. The cover is whimsy fun with a mummy. Just lovely. Can't wait for April to come around for my next trip to Tom's. :banana:

Sounds like great fun, Scrooge. Just in case you happened to discuss this: How many Atlas books are there? Pre-code? Post-Code?

Every now and then one of these Atlas books sneaks up on you with some really wonderful stuff. I just got a Battlefield that had 2 such surprises. Here are photos (sorry, didn't want to scan this one) of the stories.

I think Stan Lee would probably be suing Frank Miller, et al. if he had any idea this story existed.

54623-3001.jpg.039b9d503ac157618f06984555caa6a1.jpg

54624-3002.jpg.0f8b3148b0cd06c0bacd54df640087b0.jpg

54625-3003.jpg.7f097d54bfc5a26b5fe5e3957e402f2c.jpg

54626-3004.jpg.abe3abf082c2cfd0332bd698a1d3ce89.jpg

54627-3005.jpg.38d3f7b6e7a363ab563f3f6dff6fa3a7.jpg

54628-3006.jpg.6c5da4f82d287be0cf96c348e260fb82.jpg

This one is really a great read. Despite the minor embellishments, it's reasonably true to life. It paints a nice contrast between the beauty of nature and the ugliness of war. Not only is the story great, but the art is very nice (Dave Berg) as well. I think the 4th page is very nice visual storytelling.

54629-trees1.jpg.ee834692ec3b12fd72596b0fbb3e618f.jpg

54630-trees2.jpg.3f998232c8601487fa07bfcfa39fe68e.jpg

54631-trees3.jpg.df8b75209e3dd175ecee470525803166.jpg

54632-trees4.jpg.76f695cd23ca3babc05d8007916a61d6.jpg

54633-trees5.jpg.88d35a89ec1b67d2df1ef25395ff9930.jpg

Who knew that the Romans and the Vikings fought in Greece. (shrug)

Thanks for posting the story, it has good Sinnott art and story but the historic anachronisms fly fast and furious.

54624-3002.jpg