• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Me too. The swimmer looks like Harry Anderson's work but the ship in the background (beautifully drawn) is not like any other cover by him that I can recall.

Yeah, it's from a Skywald Mag. Nightmare #2 published February 1971.

I figured you don't get over to the Mag threads too often so I wanted to share. Here' the full page below.

Bill Everett graced some of the early Skywald issues with stories and pin-ups. Don't know the whereabouts of the OA or if it still exists.

If I come across more Everett art from the Mags I'll post em if you like.

52326-Nightmare2Pinup.jpg

Pretty Sweet PIn-Up.

zzutak's World of Fantasy reminded me about these!!!

Sold a couple of these in the past year, but thery're still fond in my heart!!! :cloud9:

One of the most under-rated Atlas series in my opinion!!!!

The first scan (#1) seems to be very difficult to find (maybe it's just me)!!!

WorldofFantasy1sold.jpg

worldofFantasy8.jpg

I have to admit, as much as I love the Pre-code Atlas books...I'm being very attracted to the post-code issues. Some super detailed linework and coloring on some of those. The Rainmaker cover comes to mind. (thumbs u

I totally agree. I always thought the World of Fantasy covers were much more interesting than those of the companion titles, World of Mystery and World of Suspense. In my opinion, WOF ranks right up there with the very short-lived Strange Worlds. Ditko, Everett, and Kirby -- what's not to like?

WOF016.jpg

I totally agree. I always thought the World of Fantasy covers were much more interesting than those of the companion titles, World of Mystery and World of Suspense. In my opinion, WOF ranks right up there with the very short-lived Strange Worlds. Ditko, Everett, and Kirby -- what's not to like?

WOF016.jpg

I like everything with this copy!!!! That's one beautiful high-grade copy!!!! :headbang:

You don't really see WOF in high-grade very often!!!

You don't really see WOF in high-grade very often!!!

Right you are. Only a half-dozen issues have been graded higher than 8.5 (and half of those were either Bethlehem or Circle-8 copies). In fact, your WOF #8 would be top census if it were slabbed!

:acclaim:

worldofFantasy8.jpg

WOF016.jpg

Very cool :golfclap:

Another December eBay win. I've found this book tough to find so I'm very happy with this copy -

50870-TexasKid8s.jpg

You might recall my posting the above a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I got in another book from the same period with a similar lovely blue on the cover. Makes me feel like AdamStrange, liking covers for colors that is. Too bad Atlas didn't use it more often, generally preferring red -

52973-Lovers38s.jpg.7dc04a4c00b7e5c2a124921b8ddb57a5.jpg

WOF016.jpg

Very cool :golfclap:

nifty

Another December eBay win. I've found this book tough to find so I'm very happy with this copy -

50870-TexasKid8s.jpg

You might recall my posting the above a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I got in another book from the same period with a similar lovely blue on the cover. Makes me feel like AdamStrange, liking covers for colors that is. Too bad Atlas didn't use it more often, generally preferring red -

I like the cab driver.

Too bad Atlas didn't use it more often, generally preferring red -

I like the cab driver.

52973-Lovers38s.jpg

He really stands out, doesn't he?

Looks like Hartley drew a portrait of a celebrity or someone he knew. Does anyone know?

Self-portrait?

YoungHrt.jpg

al_hartley.gif

Probably not, born 1921 so he would have been younger.

Could it be his famous father?

Jack

Very nice, Scrooge. This looks like an imitation of a Matt Baker cover for St John. Similar type of scene and approach to drawing the gal. The cabbie looks like a real person but he could just as easily be a friend or family member vs. fellow artist.

52973-Lovers38s.jpg